• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost Koolaid

So where is the development? We haven't seen much...
Lamar Jackson
Devine Ozigbo
Cam Jergens from the beginning of last season to the end is night and day
The O-line as a whole at the beginning vs the end of last season was night and day
Dedrick Mills was very solid by the end of last season (100 yds/g final 3 games) when many thought he was a bust early on
Etc.

Lamar Jackson
Devine Ozigbo
Cam Jergens from the beginning of last season to the end is night and day
The O-line as a whole at the beginning vs the end of last season was night and day
Dedrick Mills was very solid by the end of last season (100 yds/g final 3 games) when many thought he was a bust early on
Etc.
Yes, I agree we have improved in several areas. However I consider QB, special teams and game management to be very important areas and I didn’t see any improvement in those areas last year, in fact some might say we regressed in those areas.

I don't post much, and I know I will get blasted, but it took 14 years to drive this program into the ground. Is the "honeymoon period" over? Most definitely. Now by honeymoon period i mean totally stupid and unrealistic expectations. I am a coach like I know some of you are, (and no little league rec ball doesn't count) if you have stepped into a bad culture it is going to take time. Two, three, even four years is what got us in this situation. This is a long term build. Again sorry if i ruffled any feathers of the armchair coach keyboard jockeys out there.

Not the first time I've said this -- but I strongly believe bad culture is the lamest excuse possible.

The majority of new head coach hires are coming into less than ideal situations. Teams that don't know how to win. Or sometimes worse -- like Baylor most recently. Many of these coaches don't come in and make excuses. Instead, they work to turn the program around. And many do. In short order.

I don't recall the poster's name (I don't think he's around any longer -- he was also a former coach), but a few years ago he mentioned the easiest situation for a coach is to inherit a team that doesn't know how to win. Because -- they are eager to win. Willing to listen, willing to work. This same poster explained that Mike Riley walked into a much more difficult situation. Players that were pissed that Bo was fired. Players that didn't trust the administration. At least half the fan base who hated the hire. That's one helluva series of obstacles to overcome. I can't think of a more toxic situation in Lincoln than what Riley walked into. And the word patience most certainly did not exist. But now it applies for Frost. Because everyone wanted him here.

I certainly don't feel sorry for Frost. Sure, if you were to give me a choice between Frost, Riley, Bo, or Callahan, I'd choose Frost without hesitation. But -- I don't think he's automatically better than any of them just because his name is Scott Frost. He absolutely deserves this third season to prove that he can build a winner. And that's exactly what he needs to do this season.

Not the first time I've said this -- but I strongly believe bad culture is the lamest excuse possible.

The majority of new head coach hires are coming into less than ideal situations. Teams that don't know how to win. Or sometimes worse -- like Baylor most recently. Many of these coaches don't come in and make excuses. Instead, they work to turn the program around. And many do. In short order.

I don't recall the poster's name (I don't think he's around any longer -- he was also a former coach), but a few years ago he mentioned the easiest situation for a coach is to inherit a team that doesn't know how to win. Because -- they are eager to win. Willing to listen, willing to work. This same poster explained that Mike Riley walked into a much more difficult situation. Players that were pissed that Bo was fired. Players that didn't trust the administration. At least half the fan base who hated the hire. That's one helluva series of obstacles to overcome. I can't think of a more toxic situation in Lincoln than what Riley walked into. And the word patience most certainly did not exist. But now it applies for Frost. Because everyone wanted him here.

I certainly don't feel sorry for Frost. Sure, if you were to give me a choice between Frost, Riley, Bo, or Callahan, I'd choose Frost without hesitation. But -- I don't think he's automatically better than any of them just because his name is Scott Frost. He absolutely deserves this third season to prove that he can build a winner. And that's exactly what he needs to do this season.
Great post and I agree 100%.

Bad culture? Sure. Year one. Maybe a little bit last year.

I don’t buy that in year three any cultural issues belong to anyone not currently a member of NU’s coaching staff. It’s just BS.

We’re also about a season away from not being able to blame roster/depth issues on anyone but this staff.

We need to win some damned football games.

I get what you are saying about the team culture and I can agree with you on that. I think that bad culture was higher up within the athletic department. The Perlmans, eichorst etc. it is the same issue that Texas has run into. There are too many cooks in the kitchen that are not even employed by the university. Hopefully Moos, and a strong group of head coaches can change that.

Sure, the Huskers need to win, but this coming year the schedule is not conducive to much winning nor is the team good enough to win many games. The defense is going to have three new starters on the defensive line and losing one of the leaders in the LB room. The offense should be better, but this defense is not good enough to stop the run with so many young guys that Frost recruited just now getting playing time.The Huskers are going to be judged by me when Frost's 2nd year of recruits are redshirt Juniors and Seniors...closer to his 4th and 5th year as HC. As long as the team looks better and wins 6 games this year, I'd be OK. This year should just be about making a bowl game with the schedule and player depth and development.

Bad culture? Sure. Year one. Maybe a little bit last year.

I don’t buy that in year three any cultural issues belong to anyone not currently a member of NU’s coaching staff. It’s just BS.

We’re also about a season away from not being able to blame roster/depth issues on anyone but this staff.

We need to win some damned football games.

Sure, the Huskers need to win, but this coming year the schedule is not conducive to much winning nor is the team good enough to win many games. The defense is going to have three new starters on the defensive line and losing one of the leaders in the LB room. The offense should be better, but this defense is not good enough to stop the run with so many young guys that Frost recruited just now getting playing time.The Huskers are going to be judged by me when Frost's 2nd year of recruits are redshirt Juniors and Seniors...closer to his 4th and 5th year as HC. As long as the team looks better and wins 6 games this year, I'd be OK. This year should just be about making a bowl game with the schedule and player depth and development.

Don't disagree that this year just needs to be about 'better' and that might only mean 6 wins, but I'd disagree that it will take 4 or 5 years to have a read on how good a job this staff is doing. I can't paint a picture that makes last year's step back on the field OK, nor a continuation or degradation of last years play this coming fall as 'OK'. The team is young and that's at least partially Frost's doing. They're already hip deep in 'Their guys', so youth or not, it's time to start playing like the football team you're going to be.

I'm not asking for the blindly overoptimistic '10-2' kind of record many were crowing about before his first fall, but your low water mark for 2020 is it for me. No losing season and go to a bowl. Start looking like the team you think you're going to be or I'm going to decide what I've seen for three seasons is the team you are.

AND, while the proud king sat on his perch overlooking his kingdom his pride terrorized the community behind the scenes ripping apart the families of wildebeests who were innocently grazing on the barren soil. Little Patuu, who was recently born to a mother with crocodile scars across her buttocks, was playfully learning to walk when the lion approached from the weeds, leaping at him catching his throat in her powerful jaws. Patuu was so surprised he didn't have time to react. As the lion crushed his windpipe little Patuu's last thoughts were filled with fear as he felt the warmth of his own piss dribbling down his weak legs into the dry harsh earth.
You might be clinically off

I also wished for a better start. My fear is that Frost’s offense is not conducive to Big 10 play.
I agree but I want to see more. At this point I think its a combination of the offense, the execution and play calling. Its highly possible it could work with some tweaking of the other things.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back