• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost is doubling down on his system with the Lubick hire

Whoever said SF just doubled down on the Oregon offense is correct. He is really much more of a Chip Kelly, Mark Helfrich offensive protege than he is one of TO's. I see nothing that reminds me of the TO offense, or a blackshirt defense, yet. I'm optimistic about the blackshirt defense returning and hopeful that the Oregon offense will work for us, even if I don't like it much. I think the new OC will aid SF in getting the offense on track. From what I've seen so far, an Oregon type offense would be a huge step up...the blend of Husker Power and Oregon offense is a fantasy yarn spun for the fans.

Is this your way of admitting that you were wrong? I'm just curious, do you think most folks here come to read--by your own admission--your not very well thought out words, or do they prefer something a little more "pedantic" from a guy like me?

Here's what I think: you guys were spouting nonsense, and you like it when others agree with you, but when you realize that you don't know what you're talking about--much like how Bill Burr describes arguing with his girlfriend--it then becomes all about the other guy's motives or manners. "Instead of trying to showcase how much smarter you are" is a passive-aggressive way of admitting that what I said was correct ... and what you said was not. You made it about me instead of just acknowledging that I had a point. "I don't overly dissect every word I type or phrase I use in every single post" accomplishes the same passive-aggressive objective.

If you don't want people to take your words seriously, use an emoji to help us out. If you do want people to take you seriously, you're going to need to learn to accept criticism and positively deal with those times when you're wrong.
So, when are you moving to Buffalo?

Good post. I am hoping he can help bring some innovative ideas or at least since he was around when the offense was created, help Frost with some fixes or adjustments, something Walters struggled with.

As I said in another thread, I like this hire actually from a "help Frost with the offense" standpoint but would have preferred Joseph on the recruiting trail.

I have seen you say this here and in the other thread about Joseph. I am curious is it where he recruits? How he recruits? I ask because @N2FL said about Lubick hire he will be one of the top recruiters with Held and Fischer. Would Joseph have been a cut above those two?

I have seen you say this here and in the other thread about Joseph. I am curious is it where he recruits? How he recruits? I ask because @N2FL said about Lubick hire he will be one of the top recruiters with Held and Fischer. Would Joseph have been a cut above those two?
Probably more just me getting my hopes up with Joseph for no reason. Lubick is an improvement over who we had at WR coach the past two years so it’s tough to be negative about this announcement.

I partly to mostly agree with this, but here's the good news: a lot of the issues are with timing, technique, and the overall spacing of the alignment, all of which fall under the purview of--guess who!?!--the Offensive Coordinator. Frost calls the plays as they're supposed to work, and if they're not being executed, it falls on the OC and the position coaches to make adjustments, either by substitution or correcting errors. That wasn't happening as far as I could tell. This seems to be Lubick's forte.

There is so much true about this. Frost may not need the best athletes/players at every position on the field, but he needs virtually every position working well and in concert. Our poor spacing, poor timing, and intermittent breakdowns all over the field really killed us last year. So often it seemed so close (and even on a lot of the blown plays, the play looks so close when you break down the film). My opinion was that at least in the second half, we had the talent (outside of some bad matchups here and there).. but just didn't get it done on the field.

Frost doesn't have another year to blow on not having an OC who can implement his vision effectively on the field. He's not getting fired, but the good will will dissipate fast if we have another losing season and scuffling offense next year. He KNOWS Luckick can get that done for him.

We hired Frost for his offensive vision and he knows that. So he went out and got the guy who can make that a reality on the field.

Instead of trying to showcase how much smarter you are than everyone and point out how wrong Ramsker and/or I was, you could have inferred what he meant (like I did) instead of pointing out all the errors.

We are on a fan forum where we can discuss the team we all follow and share our opinions. My opinion is that the wr screen should be used less until it is run better (thus my comment "moved to the back of the playbook"). You disagree? Awesome, let's discuss. But you don't have to talk down to people all the damn time.
He wasn't talking down to you pal.

PROBLEM IS, Nebraska has to have the poorest point-to-yardage ratio in the country. Meaning, we could move the ball, and generate yards, but not many points to show for it.

Case in point:

514 yds, and 31 pts vs. Indiana at home in 2019.

IIRC, first half vs. Purdue yielded lots of yards, yet the margin at half was close.

Not the poorest, but a great point.

Nebraska was actually 74th nationally in yards per point. And if you look at the teams ranked below us, there weren't any top 25 types of teams. Some average (6-7 win) types -- but mostly a lot of bad teams. Efficiency on offense matters. Granted, I think a lot of this had to do with our struggles with field goal kicking.

I was hoping Frost would single up on a system he has never coached, that would make much more sense.

If I am going to be in the business of telling a P5 coach how to run his offense I would probably make sure I know the difference between a swing pass and a screen, and if I didn't I would thank the person who set me straight.

Not the poorest, but a great point.

Nebraska was actually 74th nationally in yards per point. And if you look at the teams ranked below us, there weren't any top 25 types of teams. Some average (6-7 win) types -- but mostly a lot of bad teams. Efficiency on offense matters. Granted, I think a lot of this had to do with our struggles with field goal kicking.

That's a good point. Our kicking problems caused additional problems for the offense this year. Instead of making a kick, we often went for it on 4th down when the odds weren't good. Put that on top of an offense that had trouble in the red zone already and you had a really ugly situation.

It would be interesting to see how many points we lost just due to not kicking the FG when an average kicker would have made it a high percentage of the time (maybe anything < 45 yards?)

Gosh, this is going to be a long off-season. If people agree any harder or with more ad hominem attacks, a political forum is going to break out.

What I got out of this so far:

• Should not run plays Nebraska isn't good at
  • Need better blocking from WR/TE to run screen
  • Play should work better if executed better
  • Swing pass has no blockers, Screen pass does
  • Nobody except OSU and PSU are successful at the spread offense in B1G

So some of this is recruiting, some is development, and it's all something the coaching staff can address.

Enjoy:

6aae4-24fallacies.png

My biggest concern here comes from watching a decent amount of Oregon football. I'm not a diehard fan, but I've caught several games over the last decade.

In my mind, Oregon always outgunned the Pac12. The conference is a bit pass-happy, much like the Big XII. But when you look at the games in which Oregon has struggled over the last ten years, it's routinely been teams like Auburn, LSU, Wisconsin, Ohio State, Stanford and others that are either Big Ten teams or fit the Big Ten archetype of a powerful ground game and big lines.

That scares me a little bit, knowing that Oregon always struggled with the kind of schemes that are Big Ten bread-and-butter.

But that being said, Oregon was also planning around a schedule full of Pac12 air ball, so having the lone Stanford or Auburn game was the outlier, not the rule. My hope is that Frost can add a few wrinkles like some FB/TE play that will modify the classic Oregon system to be more suitable for the meatgrinder B1G.

I too agree. The FB/TE is sorely lacking so far.

PROBLEM IS, Nebraska has to have the poorest point-to-yardage ratio in the country. Meaning, we could move the ball, and generate yards, but not many points to show for it.

Case in point:

514 yds, and 31 pts vs. Indiana at home in 2019.

IIRC, first half vs. Purdue yielded lots of yards, yet the margin at half was close.
This is spot on. No one in the country was impressed with NU’s ability in the Red Zone. It was a disaster in 2019. Can NU recruit and coach this offense to success in the B1G? I think they can vs. the lower echelon. Against the big boys, I’m not so sure. Time will tell.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back