• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frost highlights from his Jim Rome interview

Bean

Grey Shirt
10 Year Member
https://nebraska.rivals.com/news/frost-highlights-from-his-jim-rome-interview

Sounds a little like he is not expecting NU to be quite as good as his Central Florida team in their second season. Or did I read into HCSF's comments on the last paragraph below? At UCF he went from 6-7 to 13-0.

"However, maybe the most interesting thing he shared with Rome was in regards to the upcoming season, where he compared things in Lincoln in year two to his time at Central Florida, where the Knights went 13-0."
“It’s very similar tracks. It’s interesting as you are trying to build a program,” Frost told Rome. “We really didn’t know success was going to come and didn’t feel it coming probably until Fall Camp of that second year. The pieces fell right for us, and some things happened that we needed to happen to have a complete team. Everything just took off from there. We really thought down there it was going to be a three-year deal. We thought in our third year that that was going to be our year. Things just happened a little quicker than we thought.

"We are looking for a jump this year. I know there’s a lot of high expectations outside the program and there’s a lot of high expectations in this building for what we can accomplish. We have some of the right pieces. We are certainly not a complete a team yet, but we are way down the road from where we were 12 months ago. I would love to see the same type of leap happen in year two here.

Sounds a little like he is not expecting NU to be quite as good as his Central Florida team in their second season. Or did I read into HCSF's comments on the last paragraph below? At UCF he went from 6-7 to 13-0.

"However, maybe the most interesting thing he shared with Rome was in regards to the upcoming season, where he compared things in Lincoln in year two to his time at Central Florida, where the Knights went 13-0."
“It’s very similar tracks. It’s interesting as you are trying to build a program,” Frost told Rome. “We really didn’t know success was going to come and didn’t feel it coming probably until Fall Camp of that second year. The pieces fell right for us, and some things happened that we needed to happen to have a complete team. Everything just took off from there. We really thought down there it was going to be a three-year deal. We thought in our third year that that was going to be our year. Things just happened a little quicker than we thought.

"We are looking for a jump this year. I know there’s a lot of high expectations outside the program and there’s a lot of high expectations in this building for what we can accomplish. We have some of the right pieces. We are certainly not a complete a team yet, but we are way down the road from where we were 12 months ago. I would love to see the same type of leap happen in year two here.
Do not agree with your assesment. A coach coming off of a 4-8 season would be foolish to say we will go 13-0 in year 2. Undefeated seasons need a lot of things falling into place. Some you control...some you do not.

Do not agree with your assesment. A coach coming off of a 4-8 season would be foolish to say we will go 13-0 in year 2. Undefeated seasons need a lot of things falling into place. Some you control...some you do not.
This, we could very easily make as significant a jump in year 2 as UCF did and not go undefeated. Winning them all requires a little luck... Unless you're the 95 Huskers.

This, we could very easily make as significant a jump in year 2 as UCF did and not go undefeated. Winning them all requires a little luck... Unless you're the 95 Huskers.
Even 95 needed a little luck. It is well documented that Brook thought about transferring prior to the 94 season. As much as we all love the legend of the Turmanator. Not sure we go the same way with him as we did with Brook. Also TFraz went pretty much without injury in 95.

Even 95 needed a little luck. It is well documented that Brook thought about transferring prior to the 94 season. As much as we all love the legend of the Turmanator. Not sure we go the same way with him as we did with Brook. Also TFraz went pretty much without injury in 95.
The 95 Huskers could've lined me up at QB and it wouldnt have mattered

It's difficult to compare an improvement in record in the B!G vs the AAC. We definitely could make improvements without the degree of success we'd like to see in the W/L column. The AAC is a different animal IMO.

I do like the way the schedule plays out this year, but there is no question the competition in conference is not the same.

Well for sure, things are looking up. But if we learned anything from last year, it's to not take anything for granted. Even when we had top 10 teams in the 80s and early 90s, there were always some unexpected slipups. And those were teams that expected to win every game. We're not to that point yet.

Agree, when HCSF says "We have some of the right pieces. We are certainly not a complete a team yet, but we are way down the road from where we were 12 months ago", I trust he knows better than all of us that we are not there yet but we will be better than 4-8. I think allot will depend on how much of a "Brotherhood" or "Team" has developed and if they have developed mentally and physically. We've had a huge turnover on our roster this and last year so we have to have some key team leaders.

Back in Aug 2018 Coach Frost said in an presser interview:
"Being tough is a mentality. I got the impression from watching from afar that last year when things got though the team kind of shut it down and quit and they tell me the same thing. I don't want guys that will quit. I want guys that when things get hard they're going to push through and be even better in those situations. Again, that goes back to mentality. I think physically we are getting to a good place. We're strong enough to be physical. The rest of it has to come mentally."

More:
"But I want a whole team of them, that when we're when they're tired they're going to play even harder, that when we're behind we're going to play even harder. That, in the 4th quarter we're going to play even harder. We got a ways to go to get to that mentality".

Agree, when HCSF says "We have some of the right pieces. We are certainly not a complete a team yet, but we are way down the road from where we were 12 months ago", I trust he knows better than all of us that we are not there yet but we will be better than 4-8. I think allot will depend on how much of a "Brotherhood" or "Team" has developed and if they have developed mentally and physically. We've had a huge turnover on our roster this and last year so we have to have some key team leaders.

Back in Aug 2018 Coach Frost said in an presser interview:
"Being tough is a mentality. I got the impression from watching from afar that last year when things got though the team kind of shut it down and quit and they tell me the same thing. I don't want guys that will quit. I want guys that when things get hard they're going to push through and be even better in those situations. Again, that goes back to mentality. I think physically we are getting to a good place. We're strong enough to be physical. The rest of it has to come mentally."

More:
"But I want a whole team of them, that when we're when they're tired they're going to play even harder, that when we're behind we're going to play even harder. That, in the 4th quarter we're going to play even harder. We got a ways to go to get to that mentality".

I think you can see that mentality offensively, in a nutshell, on 3rd and 4th and short. We did NOT have it last year. The toughness is what I desperately want to see restored to NUFB. I think that might be my favorite part of TO's Husker teams.

Im not sure, however, if football is still considered a violent sport.

I think you can see that mentality offensively, in a nutshell, on 3rd and 4th and short. We did NOT have it last year. The toughness is what I desperately want to see restored to NUFB. I think that might be my favorite part of TO's Husker teams.

Im not sure, however, if football is still considered a violent sport.

Agreed. That starts in the trenches though. I think we have several good players but I'm not sure we have enough "elite" guys yet. Need to see some fairly big steps from those guys before I feel super confident year in and out.

I characterize Frost's statements as cautious optimism. Also, strategic--never let anyone know how good you think your team is. When you are strong, appear weak.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back