• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

Freshman Walk-on Quarterback Spencer Arceneaux?

Chukar1

Recruit
Does anyone know anything about this kid? He passed up a full ride to UAB to be a PWO at KU, then shows up at NU. 24/7 has him as a 3 star QB. Seems like a strange journey, unless someone at NU knew about the kid like they knew about Yant.

dparks

Varsity
15 Year Member
I saw this yesterday and am pretty interested in this. Usually players like this stick around a year or 2 then are gone but he is from Alabama and was a top "100" player there, so there is that. We shall see.

Pro style QB? Seems to me that Frost's offensive scheme favors more of a dual threat type. Although having someone that could actually put the ball on target would be interesting to see, I think having a legitimate run option QB plays well in the BIG. Those dual threat types seem to do pretty dang good against us anyway.

dparks

Varsity
15 Year Member
Committed three months ago and little to nothing on it in that time

I wonder if Smothers spoke with him?

Committed three months ago and little to nothing on it in that time

I wonder if Smothers spoke with him?
IMO, Heinrich, as of the Spring Game, is slightly leading for the #2 QB spot. No matter what, it is close between him and Logan. With that being the case, does Logan talk Spencer into coming here to give him (Logan) a "boost", i.e. someone that he knows and gives him the extra "umph" to work a bit harder? Or does he not worry about Spencer beating him out and so it is just to get another "familiar face" from home to be around?

My opinion (no insider info on this one) is that there was all the talk about bringing in another QB (out of portal) IF Heinrich or Logan didn't do well enough in the Spring. Obviously they did well enough to not use one of the two schollies on another QB. But the staff has said they want to carry 5 QB's. So maybe they happened upon him and decided to ask him to walk on (since it sounds like he was going to walk on at Kansas) to get to that 5th QB (I know, we have another walk-on, Synek, but he is a 0*). In the past 3-5 years, we have started, I believe, 2 Walk-on QB's. With today's portalling out madness, MAYBE the staff thinks Logan could potentially leave if he doesn't win the #2 spot. If that is a potential POSSIBILITY, it makes a ton of sense to at least get another warm body in the room. And a 3* walk-on is not a bad thing. (again, I know we also have Synek as a walk-on but he is a Hastings kid) But the more the merrier. When Synek walked-on, McCaffrey and Brayden Miller were on the roster as QB's. Neither are here know so that shows how us the rate at which players portal out. And we know that AM has been injured/benched every single year he has been here and that there is a real good chance that at least one other QB will have to start a game or two. I hope that whomever doesn't win the #2 spot stays patient, as though AM has the option of coming back next year (imagine being a FIVE year starter!), a source of mine has said this is AM's final hurrah, though I am hoping he is wrong. This would almost automatically make it that the duo of Heinrich/Logan will be #1 and #2 QB's next year.

Red Reign

Husker Immortal
10 Year Member
Pro style QB? Seems to me that Frost's offensive scheme favors more of a dual threat type. Although having someone that could actually put the ball on target would be interesting to see, I think having a legitimate run option QB plays well in the BIG. Those dual threat types seem to do pretty dang good against us anyway.

I think that's changing a bit

Just look at our class QB in the 2021 and 2022 classes