• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frankie in the Hall?

Stallings has 2 accomplishments to his credit as a head coach in college football. 1) Upsetting the hurricanes and winning the title in 1992 and 2) putting the crimson tide back on probation. Did he even win a conference title outside of 92? Ever? At a place like Alabama where you have to fight off some of the best kids in the country every year. Sure he road the coat tails of bear Bryant and Tom Landry as an assistant (sound familiar) but had a loosing records every chance he got outside of Tuscaloosa and had to cheat to win there. stallings is lower on the totem pole than frank, in company with the likes of schnellenburger and chizik and has no place being in the hall.
Perhaps your criteria is limited to automatic qualifiers for cheating your way into natties and that’s fine, we can disagree. Otherwise maybe you should check your shine box it kinda stinks.

Nice to have you on the board, Steve.

Frank Solich was a good head football coach but IMHO he isn't quite worthy of election to the CFB HoF. Nothing on his coaching resume unequivocally suggests he is among the all-time greats of his profession.

Nebraska:

6 seasons as head coach but only 1 conference championship (1999). Only agents trying to bolster their client's negotiating stance get excited about division titles.

11-13 record vs. AP Top 25 opponents. The 24 games are as follows: 9 home, 10 road and 5 neutral site games.

2-3 record in bowl games.

Only 1 win vs. Top 25 opponent on the road (27-24 OT win at #23 Notre Dame -- I was there!!). Note this doesn't include neutral site games (i.e., conference championship games & bowl games), so the 66-17 Alamo Bowl win over Northwestern isn't counted.

Good: 2 wins as a lower ranked team vs. a higher ranked opponent.

Bad: 5 losses as a higher ranked team vs. a lower ranked opponent.

Ugly: 4 losses as a ranked team vs. an unranked opponent.

Ohio U:

16 seasons as head coach without a conference championship. My previous comment regarding division championships (above) applies here. Record-wise, that's not the mark of a hall of fame coach. Yes, Ohio U football was a joke much of the time before he arrived so he deserves much credit for building the program and raising expectations. But we're not talking about Northwestern level futility before Randy Walker & Gary Barnett arrived in Evanston and stunned the college football world.

True, Solich set the MAC record for football games won. However, IMO that accomplishment is in large part because past great coaches in the conference had departed for other programs long before they could have set any such record. The MAC has historically been the starting point for up and coming coaches including Saban, Meyer, Hayes, Parseghian, Schembechler, Kelly, Kill, Pinkel, etc. Once they proved themselves, they were usually off to bigger and better programs. Solich just happened to end his coaching career in Athens rather than start there.

I hope Solich enjoys his retirement years and is (finally) able to do things he wasn't able to while he was a college football coach.
maybe but whats the criteria? Is your criteria the same as the Halls? I ask that because what about RC Slochum? Hes on there and I dont think is an all time great. So is Mike Belotti? Is he an all time great?

Not necessarily disagreeing, but everyone seems to be deciding for themselves based on there own merrit. Until we take a serious close look and compare his resume with all the other coaches that are in there, its just a shot in the dark opinion.
If we want to know if he deserves, compare his resume to all the coaches that are in there. If it doesnt match up, then no. If it does, then probably.
But if getting into the Hall is ya got to be in the league of Bowden, Osborne, Hayes.........he obviously doenst belong. But if its Slochum or Belotti or some others that are several tiers down........then well its another argument.

I think your expectation of what you want the HOF to be vs. the reality of what it actually is might be the issue here.

Solich's resume stacks up well against many other coaches in the Hall. We are still apparently spoiled by Osborne's greatness. If that's the standard, the Hall of Fame would be pretty bare.
I'd like to see those comparables ... FS has one conference championship. He gets an award for longevity but not one for sustained level of excellence. He deserves entry into the Hall of Nice Guys and the Hall of Very Good but not the HOF.

Yes he did. 9-4, 11-3, 6-7, 8-5, 7-7, 11-3, 3-9, 9-4, 5-6, 7-6. 82-60 at Tech. If that’s not struggling, I’m not sure what is. Also, that was done in an easy league. With mostly just Florida State to contend with, and Clemson in the later years.
In the 3 years since Paul Johnson GTech has gone 3-9, 3-7 and 3-9 and total of 9-25.

In the 11 years prior (Chan Gailey & George O-Leary) they were 76-52 versues Johnson's 83-60.

He was slightly/marginally better than the group before him and certainly much better than the 3 years since he left.

Not sure its HOF worthy stats!

maybe but whats the criteria? Is your criteria the same as the Halls? I ask that because what about RC Slochum? Hes on there and I dont think is an all time great. So is Mike Belotti? Is he an all time great?

Not necessarily disagreeing, but everyone seems to be deciding for themselves based on there own merrit. Until we take a serious close look and compare his resume with all the other coaches that are in there, its just a shot in the dark opinion.
If we want to know if he deserves, compare his resume to all the coaches that are in there. If it doesnt match up, then no. If it does, then probably.
But if getting into the Hall is ya got to be in the league of Bowden, Osborne, Hayes.........he obviously doenst belong. But if its Slochum or Belotti or some others that are several tiers down........then well its another argument.

Nice post, Solich is a better coach than probably 75% of all the other guys that have been a college HC throughout history. RC Slocum was also better than most coaches. I think the argument can be made that Texas A&M hasn't been as consistently good since Slocum was fired.

What is the criteria, is a great question. Someone mentioned earlier about the Baseball Hall of Fame and how selective it is. I personally think it is too selective in some instances. The baseball writers of America think they are protecting the game by leaving out great baseball players on some sort of moral grounds.

I think it is important to look at the situation and school or schools the coach was doing the coaching at. There are lots of coaches that win a lot of games with marginal talent. The MAC is a strange conference schools will be very good for a couple of years and then fall off and be terrible. FS kept Ohio consistently at the top pretty much throughout his tenure.

I guess I don't have a problem with FS being in the College Football HOF as a coach.

In the 3 years since Paul Johnson GTech has gone 3-9, 3-7 and 3-9 and total of 9-25.

In the 11 years prior (Chan Gailey & George O-Leary) they were 76-52 versues Johnson's 83-60.

He was slightly/marginally better than the group before him and certainly much better than the 3 years since he left.

Yeah I don't know if it is either. He did win a national title at GA Southern and had success at Navy, but I don't know if that's enough.

Definitely not HOF numbers. I’m a fan of PJ, love his offense.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back