• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frankie in the Hall?

Paul Johnson didn't struggle at Tech.
Yes he did. 9-4, 11-3, 6-7, 8-5, 7-7, 11-3, 3-9, 9-4, 5-6, 7-6. 82-60 at Tech. If that’s not struggling, I’m not sure what is. Also, that was done in an easy league. With mostly just Florida State to contend with, and Clemson in the later years.

Last edited:

Yes he did. 9-4, 11-3, 6-7, 8-5, 7-7, 11-3, 3-9, 9-4, 5-6, 7-6. 82-60 at Tech. If that’s not struggling, I’m not sure what is. Also, that was done in an easy league. With mostly just Florida State to contend with, and Clemson in the later years.

Many Nebraska fans would have gladly taken that kind of struggling the last 5 years. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Solich's last recruiting class included some pretty good players, guys like Demorrio Williams, Jay Moore, Fabian Washington, Adam Carriker, etc. The year before that it included the Bullocks brothers, Barrett Ruud, Sam Koch, Richie Incognito, Porkchop Cory Ross, and LeKevin Smith.
At 1st glance that list feels good until realizing that they are mostly blackshirts. With only 2 offensive player on the list and ZERO QBs for an offense coach is telling. The fact he could never bring in a top notch QB his entire time in lincoln is what did him in. Frank had little influence on the defense and if not for Bo coming in, 2003 would have been a repeat of 2002. Tradition and a good defensive mind in pelini is the only thing that kept NU afloat the last couple years.

The winningest coach in the history of a program that had never even won a bowl game.
Uhh…that is debatable as other coaches won the conference and being the best of a crappy program puts you in company with the likes of mike stoops (kentucky), mike Riley (Oregon St), and darrell royal (texas) :Rolf:

The only conference championship in 22 years was his second season. This is after Nebraska winning 5 of 6 conference titles and 3 of 4 national titles.

In his 4th season, we started a string of 5 losses to top 25 teams where we lost by an average margin of 21 points.

We beat a 24th ranked Oklahoma State to open the 2003 season. That was the last time a FS team beat a top 25 team. That was part of a 1-14 stretch against ranked opponents.
Frank is much more Gary Gibbs than Barry switzer. Loyal to a fault but was in way over his head as the successor to tom. Solich brought one program down to mediocrity and built one up to mediocrity and that pretty much sums it up for him as a head coach.

Last edited:

At a school that doesn't have a ton of recent success, that has ridiculous academic requirements. He did a great job, much like Fitz at NW.

At a school that doesn't have a ton of recent success, that has ridiculous academic requirements. He did a great job, much like Fitz at NW.
They won a national title in 1990. Yes they have more stringent entrance requirements, but to suggest he didn’t struggle is, once again, dumb. He did. FTR, I like Paul Johnson. His teams were very erratic.

Frank is much more Gary Gibbs than Barry switzer. Loyal to a fault but was in way over his head as the successor to tom. Solich brought one program down to mediocrity and built one up to mediocrity and that pretty much sums it up for him as a head coach.
I don't know where everyone is getting this "built up a bad program". Jim Grobe did that when he took over a team that had 2 wins or less in 8 of 10 seasons. He got them up to a middle of the pack team and then moved to greener pastures in the ACC. They did take a step back and Frank got them back on track.

I think Frank is the winningest coach in MAC history. But what does that say when the best coaches get offers at larger programs.

They won a national title in 1990. Yes they have more stringent entrance requirements, but to suggest he didn’t struggle is, once again, dumb. He did. FTR, I like Paul Johnson. His teams were very erratic.

I guess your definition of struggling is different. Winning multiple conference coach of the year awards, a national coach of the year award, multiple division titles and conference championships, and their highest ranking in 25 years doesn't sound like struggling to me.

I guess your definition of struggling is different. Winning multiple conference coach of the year awards, a national coach of the year award, multiple division titles and conference championships, and their highest ranking in 25 years doesn't sound like struggling to me.
82-60. He was better early on than later. He was struggling and that’s why a change was made. Once again, I like Paul Johnson, but I don’t live under rocks either.

82-60. He was better early on than later. He was struggling and that’s why a change was made. Once again, I like Paul Johnson, but I don’t live under rocks either.

You didn't say any of that previously. You just said he struggled at GT, which is not at all accurate.
You might not live under a rock but you certainly make a lot of inaccurate statements.

Back to Frank: I think he's right below the threshold to get in. A lot of very good accomplishments but I just don't know if it's enough.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back