• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frankie in the Hall?

Paul Johnson and Mark Richt are both on the ballot and seem to me to be much better candidates.

I think Solich is on there because he meets the very relaxed prerequsites to be on the balllot.

Paul Johnson and Mark Richt are both on the ballot and seem to me to be much better candidates.

I think Solich is on there because he meets the very relaxed prerequsites to be on the balllot.
Agree with Mark, and while I really like Paul (because of the academy) not so sure on him. Wouldn't argue but just not sure. Frank's long body of work should be what gets him in but I wouldn't argue if he doesn't.

Mebbe for a Lifetime Achievement Award, like they do for actors who never won an Oscar.

What are Frank’s biggest wins of his coaching career?

Texas 1999
-B12 championship game
-Frank’s 1 and only conference title
-fumbled away natty to texas

Nothwestern 2000
-Alamo bowl vs b10 champs

Oklahoma 2001
-Jason white knocked out of game was
-huge

Kent state 2006
-(blown out 31-10 in Mac championship)

Utah St 2011
-Idaho potato bowl
-Ohio first ever bowl victory

Last edited:
I don't agree with this. At all. Solich is not responsible for Nebraska football slipping, Steve Pederson is.

Solich's last recruiting class included some pretty good players, guys like Demorrio Williams, Jay Moore, Fabian Washington, Adam Carriker, etc. The year before that it included the Bullocks brothers, Barrett Ruud, Sam Koch, Richie Incognito, Porkchop Cory Ross, and LeKevin Smith. Multiple guys with college football and NFL success. He was also 9-3 when he was fired, which any Husker fan would take this year in a heartbeat. So a pretty good record, and pretty good talent coming in does not support him being responsible for Nebraska's decline like you stated.

With that said, IMO he does not belong in the college football HOF. If they open a hall of very good he has a great case for that though.
He is responsible. Peterson didn’t have anything to do with 7-7. That was all Solich. The program recruited itself but he didn’t take advantage. It’s the reason why he only had Jamaal Lord when Carl went to play baseball. His offense had no imagination in it whatsoever. That’s on him. He also went 9-4 with a championship roster. I never said he should have been fired, but the program definitely slipped under him a good bit.

Last edited:
The fall at Nebraska was dramatic and the long duration at a Mid-Major likely had more to do with lack of opportunity. Frank brought respect to Ohio, but it just doesn't seem like a Hall of Fame resume. However, his best argument may be to take a closer look at coaches in the HOF. There are a lot of guys on this list that don't seem to have much meat to their resume.

The body of work that Solich put together makes him worthy, in my opinion.

Ridiculously successful freshman team head coach.

Longtime assistant for the winningest program of the 1980s and second winningest of the 1990s.

Position coach for the 1983 Heisman Trophy winner.

Power 5 head coach that won Nebraska's last conference championship, played for a national championship, and coached another Heisman winner.

The winningest coach in the history of a program that had never even won a bowl game.

7 time division champion.
3x conference coach of the year.
1x national coach of the year.

He went .500 or better in 20 out of 22 seasons as a head coach. That level of consistency over that length of time at two very different programs is impressive.

He is also a man of high character, generally avoided scandals, and graduated his players.

He's got my vote (which counts for nothing in this case).
How many conference championships did he have at Ohio? I believe zero. He had one at Nebraska. That’s not hall of fame worthy, although, like I mentioned earlier, there are many in the CFOH that leave you scratching your head, so him going in would not be horrible.

The body of work that Solich put together makes him worthy, in my opinion.

Ridiculously successful freshman team head coach.

Longtime assistant for the winningest program of the 1980s and second winningest of the 1990s.

Position coach for the 1983 Heisman Trophy winner.

Power 5 head coach that won Nebraska's last conference championship, played for a national championship, and coached another Heisman winner.

The winningest coach in the history of a program that had never even won a bowl game.

7 time division champion.
3x conference coach of the year.
1x national coach of the year.

He went .500 or better in 20 out of 22 seasons as a head coach. That level of consistency over that length of time at two very different programs is impressive.

He is also a man of high character, generally avoided scandals, and graduated his players.

He's got my vote (which counts for nothing in this case).

As I mentioned in this thread, if Frank gets in, it will be due to including his impact on the Osborne Nebraska teams -- as you laid out.

I don't think his head coaching alone is enough.

Solich's Ohio U teams were mostly good, but rarely great. He never won a MAC title, never had a ranked team (and other MAC teams have accomplished those). Could definitely argue he's the best coach in Ohio U football history (though others have won conference titles).

To me, that's about like saying Mike Riley should be in the hall of fame for his time at Oregon State. I'd debate that neither Riley nor Solich should make the hall of fame based on their resumes from the schools they head coached longest. So you've got to bring in other coaching jobs to see if that gets them over the hump.

I'll say that it wouldn't surprise me if Solich makes the college football hall of fame, but it's debatable if he's worthy. Obviously, Nebraska and Ohio U fans have a bit of a bias.

As I mentioned in this thread, if Frank gets in, it will be due to including his impact on the Osborne Nebraska teams -- as you laid out.

Solich's Ohio U teams were mostly good, but rarely great. He never won a MAC title, never had a ranked team (and other MAC teams have accomplished those). Could definitely argue he's the best coach in Ohio U football history (though others have won conference titles).

To me, that's about like saying Mike Riley should be in the hall of fame for his time at Oregon State. I'd debate that neither Riley nor Solich should make the hall of fame based on their resumes from the schools they head coached longest. So you've got to bring in other coaching jobs to see if that gets them over the hump.

I'll say that it wouldn't surprise me if Solich makes the college football hall of fame, but it's debatable if he's worthy. Obviously, Nebraska and Ohio U fans have a bit of a bias.
I don’t have any bias. He does not belong. The hall of fame should mean something. Putting in anyone due to longevity is dumb. He doesn’t have the numbers. There are too many in there now who don’t belong in there.

I would say negative on both of them. Johnson struggled at Tech and Richt won what, 2 SEC titles, before Saban arrived. That’s not enough for the HOF. The HOF should be reserved for the absolute elite of the elite. Like, really hard to get in to.

The fall for Nebraska was dramatic as he got his own players.

The only conference championship in 22 years was his second season. This is after Nebraska winning 5 of 6 conference titles and 3 of 4 national titles.

In his 4th season, we started a string of 5 losses to top 25 teams where we lost by an average margin of 21 points.

We beat a 24th ranked Oklahoma State to open the 2003 season. That was the last time a FS team beat a top 25 team. That was part of a 1-14 stretch against ranked opponents.

The equivalent would be Saban leaving and Alabama competing near the top for a few years and then just getting throttled by top teams after that. A coach that does that won't have teams knocking down the door to hire them after they were fired. And they aren't going to convince anyone to pluck you put of a mid major unless you are beating the competition handily. Certainly not something you look for in the HOF.

I would say negative on both of them. Johnson struggled at Tech and Richt won what, 2 SEC titles, before Saban arrived. That’s not enough for the HOF. The HOF should be reserved for the absolute elite of the elite. Like, really hard to get in to.
I think your expectation of what you want the HOF to be vs. the reality of what it actually is might be the issue here.

Solich's resume stacks up well against many other coaches in the Hall. We are still apparently spoiled by Osborne's greatness. If that's the standard, the Hall of Fame would be pretty bare.

I think your expectation of what you want the HOF to be vs. the reality of what it actually is might be the issue here.

Solich's resume stacks up well against many other coaches in the Hall. We are still apparently spoiled by Osborne's greatness. If that's the standard, the Hall of Fame would be pretty bare.
That’s why I said what I said. There are lots of dudes in the hall that don’t belong. It’s not supposed to be easy to get in to. I’ve been to the baseball HOF, and only elite players are in there. The one thing baseball does right. The football HOF has been kind of a joke actually. If you want to put Solich in there, he wouldn’t be the worst that’s in there, so there is that. IMO, he doesn’t have close to the numbers that should be required to get in there. I’d say it’s an easy no, but I don’t have an issue with your opinion either, given what’s in there to date.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back