• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frankie in the Hall?

In my opinion yes. Or I wouldn’t have posted it. I knew there would be a bunch who disagreed. Which is fine.
I would argue that his biggest accomplishment was his longevity at Ohio. That certainly doesn’t know qualify for the Hall of Fame in my opinion. Had Frank taken over the Ohio valley conference and really dominated it or even had consistent championship level success I would agree with you.

Looking at the list of inductees, Solich is a worthy candidate and should be included in the hall of fame. I am proud he is part of our history.

Last edited:
Looking at the list of inductees, Solich is a worthy candidate and should be included in the hall of fame. I am proud he is part of our history.
I think we can all be proud of what he meant for Nebraska football while at the same time being objective and understanding he’s probably not Hall of Fame material.

Good lord…no. Should every nice guy be in the hall? How about gene stallings? Mike Riley? Gary Gibbs? I realize some very average/poor coaches are in the hall but frank should not be 1 of them.
Disagree! Frank gave his all to NU football and got a raw deal from an AD on an ego trip.

The body of work that Solich put together makes him worthy, in my opinion.

Ridiculously successful freshman team head coach.

Longtime assistant for the winningest program of the 1980s and second winningest of the 1990s.

Position coach for the 1983 Heisman Trophy winner.

Power 5 head coach that won Nebraska's last conference championship, played for a national championship, and coached another Heisman winner.

The winningest coach in the history of a program that had never even won a bowl game.

7 time division champion.
3x conference coach of the year.
1x national coach of the year.

He went .500 or better in 20 out of 22 seasons as a head coach. That level of consistency over that length of time at two very different programs is impressive.

He is also a man of high character, generally avoided scandals, and graduated his players.

He's got my vote (which counts for nothing in this case).

Tough call. I think he comes up short as only a Head Coach, but as a player, Assistant coach (19 years, including 3 national titles), then as a successful HC (including a massive turnaround job at a terrible program), he's probably worthy.

While he may have been only very good as a HC, he was also one of the best assistant coaches on the planet during that time under Osborne.
You had me at “he comes up short”.

The HOF is reserved for greatness. Frank Solich, like it or not, was not a great coach. He was a good coach. He is also responsible for the machine that was Nebraska football slipping, fairly quickly. I do think his 1999 team was the best in the country, but, they didn’t get the chance to show it.
I don't agree with this. At all. Solich is not responsible for Nebraska football slipping, Steve Pederson is.

Solich's last recruiting class included some pretty good players, guys like Demorrio Williams, Jay Moore, Fabian Washington, Adam Carriker, etc. The year before that it included the Bullocks brothers, Barrett Ruud, Sam Koch, Richie Incognito, Porkchop Cory Ross, and LeKevin Smith. Multiple guys with college football and NFL success. He was also 9-3 when he was fired, which any Husker fan would take this year in a heartbeat. So a pretty good record, and pretty good talent coming in does not support him being responsible for Nebraska's decline like you stated.

With that said, IMO he does not belong in the college football HOF. If they open a hall of very good he has a great case for that though.

I like him a lot, but as others have said, this is a tough, tough call and can see both sides of the argument.

Longtime assistant for the winningest program of the 1980s and second winningest of the 1990s.

Power 5 head coach that won Nebraska's last conference championship, played for a national championship, and coached another Heisman winner.

The winningest coach in the history of a program that had never even won a bowl game.

He went .500 or better in 20 out of 22 seasons as a head coach. That level of consistency over that length of time at two very different programs is impressive.

He is also a man of high character, generally avoided scandals, and graduated his players.

I don’t agree that he should be in the Hall of Fame but if he does make it the points you laid out would be why. Nicely illustrated.

I say sure, why not.

I can see both sides of the argument here, but I tend to lean in the direction of yes, thill's post summarizes it well.

If Frank had won the national championship during the 2001 season I would say he is very deserving of definite consideration…even election into the hall of fame.

Since he didn’t win it…it is a great honor to even be on the ballot for consideration.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back