• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frank Solich Hall of Fame Vote ...should he?

The_Real_PJ

Just Win Baby!
5 Year Member
With Frank Solich getting on the CFB Hall of Fame ballot for a 2nd time, I guess the question for the board, does he deserve to be omitted to the Hall? I know us NEB fans will overwhelmingly say YES! But, he has less than 200 wins (173-101), a winning percentage of 0.631, no National championship, a couple of league championships. If looked at objectively, not sure he should get in. And, there is also the DUI in Ohio...

Thread lock in 3..2..1

This has been hashed out before and it never has a good stench. Answer honestly and your a hater, answer positively your a homer. Franks legacy benefited greatly from the poor choices that followed and the great position he took over. He got out while the getting was good.

With Frank Solich getting on the CFB Hall of Fame ballot for a 2nd time, I guess the question for the board, does he deserve to be omitted to the Hall? I know us NEB fans will overwhelmingly say YES! But, he has less than 200 wins (173-101), a winning percentage of 0.631, no National championship, a couple of league championships. If looked at objectively, not sure he should get in. And, there is also the DUI in Ohio...

You can't overlook his 20+ years as an assistant coach, has a Heisman winner & many, many national rushing titles with his running backs.

He's probably got a stronger argument than any of the other coaches on the ballot. Larry Coker? Is that a joke?

I'm not sold on either Coker or Solich being hall of fame worthy. That should be a very select membership.

Coker was a head coach for 11 seasons. Won 3 conference championships and 1 national championship. 86-47 record, .647 winning percentage.

Solich was a head coach for 22 seasons. Won 1 conference championship and 0 national championships. 173-101 record, .631 winning percentage.

Yes. He has a tailwind as Pedey made poor choices as did Eichorst. If he does not get fired he would have stayed at NU and won as much if not more than he did at Ohio. What he did at Ohio is pretty doggone good. His numbers, history and work tell me yes. It's always hard following 2 legends. However....he did make a few mistakes at NU and his offense was predictable. We would call the plays at one point. Not to mention Oz left a fully stocked cabinet for him

I'm not sold on either Coker or Solich being hall of fame worthy. That should be a very select membership.

Coker was a head coach for 11 seasons. Won 3 conference championships and 1 national championship. 86-47 record, .647 winning percentage.

Solich was a head coach for 22 seasons. Won 1 conference championship and 0 national championships. 173-101 record, .631 winning percentage.
I don’t think any of the coaches on the ballot should get in. It’s a very weak group of nominees when assessing against HoF credentials. Solid guys who won games and undoubtedly touched alot of lives, just not HoF worthy.
Solich’s status as the MAC all time wins leader might account for something but also might be viewed similarly as a minor league home runs leader.
His nomination probably highlights the question/ argument of whether or not a modern day coach can have a CFB HoF career if the vast majority (or all) of it is spent anywhere other than the highest level.

The biggest question to me isn't whether I think he had a HoF career, but rather how does he stack up against coaches that are already in the HoF.

His win percentage would be the lowest to make it in since 2014, when Mike Bellotti (Oregon) got in with a 0.630 win percentage. There are people with much lower win percentages in the HoF, though. FWIW, Barry Alvarez got in with a 0.603 win percentage.

Solich is pretty widely respected as a coach. I don't think people should riot if he gets in or if he doesn't. It is probably borderline, but in a year with not a lot of strong candidates, that might help his cause.

The biggest question to me isn't whether I think he had a HoF career, but rather how does he stack up against coaches that are already in the HoF.

His win percentage would be the lowest to make it in since 2014, when Mike Bellotti (Oregon) got in with a 0.630 win percentage. There are people with much lower win percentages in the HoF, though. FWIW, Barry Alvarez got in with a 0.603 win percentage.

Solich is pretty widely respected as a coach. I don't think people should riot if he gets in or if he doesn't. It is probably borderline, but in a year with not a lot of strong candidates, that might help his cause.

I always get frustrated when HOF voters do that. Not being a strong year for candidates shouldn't be a consideration. Either the person is a HOFer or they're not.
I agree with you, I don't think it would be a controversial pick either way.

I don’t think any of the coaches on the ballot should get in. It’s a very weak group of nominees when assessing against HoF credentials. Solid guys who won games and undoubtedly touched alot of lives, just not HoF worthy.
Solich’s status as the MAC all time wins leader might account for something but also might be viewed similarly as a minor league home runs leader.
His nomination probably highlights the question/ argument of whether or not a modern day coach can have a CFB HoF career if the vast majority (or all) of it is spent anywhere other than the highest level.

I'm not arguing that Solich wasn't a good coach. He was. But Hall of Fame should be reserved for the elite. He was not that.

16 years at Ohio U is the primary reason why he has the all-time coaching wins in the MAC conference. Google, and you won't recognize most of the names on the all-time MAC winning coaches list.

However, there have been legendary coaches who cut their teeth in the MAC. Woody Hayes went 14-5 in 2 years at Miami (OH). 9-1 in his second season. Then the big boys wanted him, and he left for Ohio State. Bo Schembechler went 40-17-3 in 6 seasons at Miami (OH) -- then Michigan landed Bo. Ara Parseghian, 36-6-1 in five years at Miami (OH) -- then onto greener pastures. More modern day, Saban at Toledo, Brian Kelly at Central Michigan. Great coaches don't stay in the MAC. Any or all of these coaches could easily have been the all-time MAC coaching wins leaders had they not moved onto better jobs. You're right -- it's like minor league home run leaders -- they are on the top of the list because they played longer in the minors as they were mostly not good enough to play many years or at all in the majors. Same concept.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back