• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Frank is coming back!

Here’s the thing with Solich. Yes, he is and was a great advocate and passionate about the Huskers. But would he have been considered HC material at Nebraska had TO not anointed him as his successor? I doubt it. Once TO’s recruits were gone, how did he do. He simply wasn’t the right HC to follow TO, and if he was considered to be such a great HC, he would have been chosen by another P5 program after he was let go by Nebraska. He just was a decent guy.

Last edited:
Here’s the thing with Solich. Yes, he is and was a great advocate and passionate about the Huskers. But would he have been considered HC material at Nebraska had TO not anointed him as his successor? I doubt it. Once TO’s recruits were gone, how did he do. He simply wasn’t the right HC to follow TO, and if he was considered to be such a great HC, he would have been chosen by another P5 program after he was let go by Nebraska. He just was a decent guy.
No need to dredge up that old argument...no one will ever change their mind about it, and it's been argued to death. This thread is about him coming back to accept a lifetime achievement award and he clearly deserves that given his long and dedicated career here.

Last edited:
I once met a man in an airport bar that played with Frank Solich. He told me Frank was the strongest guy he ever played with. He told me a lot of other very interesting things about Nebraska in that era. I could’ve talked to him forever but we both had places to go. He was a really solid guy and an excellent representative of the university.

I have often wondered what would’ve happened if TO had gone the Bowden or paterno route and held on as long as he could. I think we probably still see the program back slide at some point. What Nebraska was able to do actually amazing and Frank was a big part of that.

I have often wondered what would’ve happened if TO had gone the Bowden or paterno route and held on as long as he could. I think we probably still see the program back slide at some point. What Nebraska was able to do actually amazing and Frank was a big part of that.
15 more years of total dominance over CFB by TO and the Huskers. TO sets record for wins.

Last edited:
I got his autograph on a mini football. He was a complete gentleman. I talked to him for all of 2 minutes pal. He got a raw deal impo.
Pal I stayed in the same hotel with him in Hattiesburg in 2003, I talked with him about 15 minutes in the lobby gameday waiting for the night game, and yes he is a first class individual

Pal I stayed in the same hotel with him in Hattiesburg in 2003, I talked with him about 15 minutes in the lobby gameday waiting for the night game, and yes he is a first class individual
Pretty cool. I was at that game with a friend of mine. One drunk idiot, tried to ruin it for us, but the S. Miss fans around us, would not allow it to happen, that was a fun night. YUP! Frank is a classy guy indeed.

Pretty cool. I was at that game with a friend of mine. One drunk idiot, tried to ruin it for us, but the S. Miss fans around us, would not allow it to happen, that was a fun night. YUP! Frank is a classy guy indeed.
Here's Frankie and I pal at the Hattiesburg Holiday Inn in2003

Last edited:
I absolutely believe he would have been considered as head coaching material at many places.

Yeah, he really sucked after taking over from TO. Conference championship, NC game, Heisman winner, 3 top ten finishes, COY award.

:Rolleyes:

Frank accomplished a lot more in his first six years than TO did in his first 6 years, and they both took over teams that won 2 NCs the previous 3 years.

The Frank hate is irrational.

Yeah, he really sucked after taking over from TO. Conference championship, NC game, Heisman winner, 3 top ten finishes, COY award.

Frank accomplished a lot more in his first six years than TO did in his first 6 years, and they both took over teams that won 2 NCs the previous 3 years.

I agree. I think that he made one major mistake. He tried to be TO. TO Was head coach and OC. I think that was too much for FS. It eventually caught up to him. It was too much and he lost focus of the big picture.

Yeah, he was so great that he had multiple top programs looking to hire him after he was let go. I didn’t see too many schools even interviewing him for HC positions. He was extremely fortunate that the B12 North was a pretty poor Division. Again, he rode on TO’s recruits for his 1st four years. He simply was not a great HC. He was a decent HC, but not great.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back