• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Franchi not cycling

jikastew

15 Year Member
I bought a 20g Franchi Affinity 3 last year. I took it to the range last winter and it didn't cycle. The variability was all over the place. Some non-ejects. Some ejects but failure to feed. Most feed failures were stranded below the bolt, every so often a shell went halfway and would hang the bolt.

I figured it just needed another good once over and some rounds put through it. I've done that to the tune of almost 100 rounds. I've taken the thing apart and cleaned/lubed it 3 times now. In approximately 100 shots, it's cycled about 3 or 4 times correctly.

Factory issue with the gun or ????. It's an inertia gun so I've tried really leaning into shots, even at the detriment of accuracy. It didn't make a difference.

Any insight will help. Thanks all.

Last edited:

Yes on both was/is my plan. I'll start with some bigger loads. That sucks cause they are costly these days. If that doesn't work I'll probably contact Franchi and ask for a new return spring.

How many shots are you thinking before it would loosen up/wear in? Try 40 or so and reassess?

Thanks for the replies.
Try Magnums through it?

Sounds like a weak return spring easy fix

To be honest you have shot it enough to be broke in unless your shooting super super light target loads and even then it should be good. That gun should eat anything you put in it just fine.

To be honest you have shot it enough to be broke in unless your shooting super super light target loads and even then it should be good. That gun should eat anything you put in it just fine.
7/8 oz loads to this point, so not exactly pushing the gun. But if I can't shoot 7/8 oz loads with confidence, then what's the point of having a 20 gauge.

Last edited:
They should be just fine. Good luck I have shot those Affinity and they shot sweet. Get it line out and thats a upland game killing machine

Update: shot a box 7/8 oz after a box of 1oz through the gun. It cycled about 1/3 of the time with the 1 oz shells, and 3 times with the 7/8 oz.

I sent it back to Franchi. That was 150+ of pathetic performance.

Have a VR-80 that consistently jams with lighter 12 gauge loads.

Tried the 1500fps load and it cycles great.

Try a higher load.

Have a VR-80 that consistently jams with lighter 12 gauge loads.

Tried the 1500fps load and it cycles great.

Try a higher load.
I did that with minor improvements, as noted. Still a worthless gun. Franchi agreed something isn't right with the gun.

I did that with minor improvements, as noted. Still a worthless gun. Franchi agreed something isn't right with the gun.

?????...I love it!

Would like to extend the stock about 3" or so, and it kicks like a freaking mule with the 1500 load in it.

But, all in all it is a beast and I really like it.

?????...I love it!

Would like to extend the stock about 3" or so, and it kicks like a freaking mule with the 1500 load in it.

But, all in all it is a beast and I really like it.
I don't think I've been up in the 1500 range. Lol. That would cycle a gun and recycle a rebuilt shoulder.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back