• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Fragile Psyche

Status
Not open for further replies.

NavyWarrant

Red Shirt
10 Year Member
I am not saying the sky is falling, so don't go there. My concern is the fragile mental state of our team. In 3 of our 4 losses this year, everything seemed to snowball into a horrible loss. The team seems to just wait for things to fall apart. When there is one mistake, the entire team puts their heads down and loses focus. It is not just the players, but also the coaching staff! Beck loses sight of the game plan as soon as we are behind. Taylor gets rattled in the pocket. Well, it really isn't much of a pocket is it. Our receivers drop passes right on their hands. Abdullah continues to carry the ball loosely. The offensive line continues to get false start penalties. If a pass is completed, the cornerback is pulled.

My theory is the team has taken on Bo's personality! He loses control easily and so do his players. The announcers even commented on how dejected he was going into the locker room. I love his passion and fire, but he needs to find a way to show the team and coaching staff he has confidence in them! The head coach must also be a cheerleader. Do we still have a sports psychologist on staff? The mental aspect of the team is all that needs fixing. Confidence is an amazing thing.

Most all of the coaches are young and learning their position on the fly.. NU is the training ground.

I am not saying the sky is falling, so don't go there. My concern is the fragile mental state of our team. In 3 of our 4 losses this year, everything seemed to snowball into a horrible loss. The team seems to just wait for things to fall apart. When there is one mistake, the entire team puts their heads down and loses focus. It is not just the players, but also the coaching staff! Beck loses sight of the game plan as soon as we are behind. Taylor gets rattled in the pocket. Well, it really isn't much of a pocket is it. Our receivers drop passes right on their hands. Abdullah continues to carry the ball loosely. The offensive line continues to get false start penalties. If a pass is completed, the cornerback is pulled.

My theory is the team has taken on Bo's personality! He loses control easily and so do his players. The announcers even commented on how dejected he was going into the locker room. I love his passion and fire, but he needs to find a way to show the team and coaching staff he has confidence in them! The head coach must also be a cheerleader. Do we still have a sports psychologist on staff? The mental aspect of the team is all that needs fixing. Confidence is an amazing thing.

Valid points. I don't think any of us know whether it is Pelini's personality or not. But this is where I have faith in TO to know what is going on. To know if it is fixable, and if so, how to help fix it.

When things start falling apart, teams need a coach who can remain calm and motivate to turn it around.

Our coach lOses his composure. It is no surprise that our team is fragile.

I agree with your observation that this team hits the panic button and lacks the discipline to stick with the plan. My opinion is that it does come from the coaching staff. But rather than being some sort of personality flaw in Bo, I think it's more a part of the maturing process for a coach. He'll learn, if we give him time, to level out and stick to the plan even when things aren't working, and in turn the players will have faith in their plan too.

I am starting to think Pelini is our version of Jerry Glanville. Comes in and turns things around quickly, but needs to take the next step.

As a fanbase we didn't like Callahan's non-emotion on the sideline. Bo came in and was very emotional.
We didn't like that either. He has learned and he has calmed down a TON.

As a matter of fact I was sitting watching several games thinking he was TOO calm.
Today he didn't react till the team started having stupid penalty after stupid penalty and the refs went blind on a few plays.

Everyone keeps saying the players are men, not boys, etc...well maybe they need to be responsible for their own focus then ?

Our coach is fine... I don't believe the team is taking on his demeanor at all... Sure, he sets an example, yet that example is more seen at practice... We had a tough loss today and that loss is no 1 persons fault. It was a team game and a team loss.. I think we still need some offensive work, other than that, we should do well next year.

Most all of the coaches are young and learning their position on the fly.. NU is the training ground.

The youth in our coaching staff was the #1 problem with this team this season...mental collapses are usually a sign of ineffective coaching. Staff really needs to develop...they have the x and o part down...now get the mental part down.

I don't even think ThoughtDoc can easily diagnose this team's psyche. Several games they looked mentally soft and folded. Then there was Ohio State, when it looked like they were able to fold, then pulled it together and fought back.

I will look back on the 2011 team and just put it at "I have no clue what's going on inside their heads."

Bo was not dejected or even visibly upset going into the lockerroom.

Bo only had one "blow up" in the game and that was in response to a PF that wasn't called (extremely blatant).

Did you see the hissy fit that Spurrier threw in the first half?

Our fans WAAAAY over think this stuff.

By the way, how many fumbles did AA actually have this season? Perception vs. reality.

Bo was not dejected or even visibly upset going into the lockerroom.

Bo only had one "blow up" in the game and that was in response to a PF that wasn't called (extremely blatant).

Did you see the hissy fit that Spurrier threw in the first half?

Our fans WAAAAY over think this stuff.

By the way, how many fumbles did AA actually have this season? Perception vs. reality.

Some of the perceptions that fans come up with are absolutley baffling to me. Bo got upset the one time after that ridiculous PI and Baker getting manhandled by his facemask. I would have been more upset had he not been fired up at the refs. The idea that he lost his composure based on that is utterly ridiculous. Does anyone really think Bo is the only coach who yells at refs. Are any of the fans who wanted Mike Stoops here the ones who think he looses his composure? Has anyone watched Paul Rhoads coach?

If the O is looking for a leader they have no further to look than Rex Burkhead. He is always busting his hump, rarely makes mistakes and makes plays all day long. They can either choose to follow his lead or not. Obviously he can't yell at any of them like Tommie did or he will be accused of losing his composure. The idea that Bo lost his composure and caused the team to is just weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back