• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

RsFr. Tatiana Popa is no longer listed on WBB Roster

Nebraska began eight weeks of summer workouts with a full team practice on Monday.

The practice was the first for four of Nebraska’s incoming freshmen — guards Allison Weidner and Kendall Moriarty, forward Alexis Markowski and center Tatiana Popa. Tatiana shows us something different with her length and size.

iu

Red Shirt Freshman Tatiana Popa is no longer being shown on the WBB Roster.

:ph34r:
Tatiana is on the far left (not suited up redshirt). Disappointing it didn't work out for her.

Here is an article in the LJS talking about Tatiana Popa leaving the team.

It doesn't give a lot of details regarding Popa, but at the bottom of the article is a link to this article (behind a paywall, so I can't read it) that suggests Kate Cain had some role in getting Popa to come to Nebraska as her sucessor.

I just read the LJS article about Tatiana. I'm disappointed we won't get to see her play for the Huskers.

I absolutely disagree she was a "project at best." Per the LJS article, she was a 4-star recruit. Before her senior year of HS she transferred to Brewster Academy in NH. Unfortunately, their season got canceled so when she got to Lincoln she hadn't played competitively very much, if at all, for several months.That likely played into Coach Williams decision to RS her. FWIW, her Dad was a 2nd round NBA draft pick out of Miami and is in their HOF. So she's got a high level basketball background.

This may be a personal decision and not a basketball one. She hasn't entered the portal. The LJS says she plans to remain a student at UNL.

I just read the LJS article about Tatiana. I'm disappointed we won't get to see her play for the Huskers.............

I too, was looking forward to seeing Tatiana on the floor for us. I do remember reading somewhere (can't find it now) in a brief comment regarding the team that she seemed to be doing well in practice.

Then news she was red-shirting (slipped in along with that of Trinity Brady redshirting), and now is no longer with the team (yet still a student at UNL).

I believe she played her Senior HS year @ Parkersberg, WA (shown as being from Gaithersburg, MD (a suburb NW of DC); it does seem like something of an unusual progression in her HS teams.

Nevertheless I am very disappointed she's not with the the team. If she could have done something like her dad, i.e. perfecting his hook shot, she could have been a valuable addition.

I just read the LJS article about Tatiana. I'm disappointed we won't get to see her play for the Huskers.

I absolutely disagree she was a "project at best." Per the LJS article, she was a 4-star recruit. Before her senior year of HS she transferred to Brewster Academy in NH. Unfortunately, their season got canceled so when she got to Lincoln she hadn't played competitively very much, if at all, for several months.That likely played into Coach Williams decision to RS her. FWIW, her Dad was a 2nd round NBA draft pick out of Miami and is in their HOF. So she's got a high level basketball background.

This may be a personal decision and not a basketball one. She hasn't entered the portal. The LJS says she plans to remain a student at UNL.
I guess we will never know will we.

I guess we will never know will we.

Yes, this is what we are really talking about. Not that we are entitled to know all the details, the mystery surrounding announcements, or lack of announcements is disappointing in and of itself. There could be any number of reasons from personal, injury, ability, or well, you name it. All I know is many fans were looking forward to seeing Tatiana Popa on the floor seeing what she could contribute to the team!

So long, Tatiana and Best Wishes! :Salute:

We had a local star sign with the Iowa women's teams a few years back and then just quit basketball. Her quote at the time:

'I haven't truly enjoyed the game of basketball for some time but felt the need to continue because I didn't want to disappoint anyone, it has gotten to the point that my lack of love for the game, and still continuing the sport, has made my anxiety level too high and it affected my day-to-day life.'

My son played in the local leagues against her younger brother starting in 3rd grade. 9 or 10 years of being 'the star' would be a grind and not everyone is ready to keep going.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back