• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

FOX, NBC & CBS Likely To Win B1G Media Rights

Piggy backing your answer, and thinking outside the box, may this be NBC's play at getting B1G tier 2 media rights, then low balling Notre Dame on their exclusive contract, hence forcing ND to join the B1G, where NBC has some media rights and will be able to still show some ND games? If so, I would love NBC sticking it to ND in a round about, back door way!

Interesting thought.

However, couldn’t Notre Dame shop their own rights if they do not like the offer from NBC?

I wish they’d move the noon games to 1 eastern and noon central time. 11 am sucks. As far as espn goes, screw them. I never watch espn except for if there is a particular game I want to see. I don’t like anything about them. Sounds like they are saving their money to break the bank on the SEC deal.
I am in the minority that loves 11 AM games (unless I'm actually going to the game). Being in MST, I usually wake up, eat some breaky, and start watching the game. No sitting around for excessive time waiting.

Interesting thought.

However, couldn’t Notre Dame shop their own rights if they do not like the offer from NBC?
I am sure they could. Maybe ESPN will jump all over them since they will probably have to stick money into the dying Pac-12/kind of dying Big 12 to just have some games to televise.

I am in the minority that loves 11 AM games (unless I'm actually going to the game). Being in MST, I usually wake up, eat some breaky, and start watching the game. No sitting around for excessive time waiting.

I love the 11AM time slot as well. I hate waiting for games. Watch the game, eat some lunch and then get on with the rest of my day after. If I am going to the game, the 2:30 game is perfect for me as it makes a manageable trip for me. Earlier or later, a hotel is involved.

If they are the afternoon game they could jump to ND at night on the same channel. Capture a lot of lazy eyeballs that way.

But it would be interesting to see if the audience for ND matches in anyway the audience for the other big time games, many of which now will be in competiton with any night ND games.

Snarly kinds of mess these bidders have to untangle isn't it, especially on what games go in what slots.

Last edited:
I love the 11AM time slot as well. I hate waiting for games. Watch the game, eat some lunch and then get on with the rest of my day after. If I am going to the game, the 2:30 game is perfect for me as it makes a manageable trip for me. Earlier or later, a hotel is involved.
Yeah, I have a 7-8 hour drive to Lincoln so mid day is best, cause I can leave around 0500. But it seems like no matter what, I either stay in a hotel night before game and get home around midnight-0200 after the game or I stay in hotel after game and leave next morning. But it is cool that I only need 1 hotel night and not 2.

What does this exactly mean? Will some Nebraska games be on CBS/NBC? And what if a person has Dish network and the CBS/NBC channels are not in the B1G footprint? As much as i am not a big ESPN fan, at least I could watch every game on some sort of ESPN channel if it wasn't on BTN or Fox.

One of the tweets I posted explains it in detail

I would assume they are national broadcasts on all three networks so that should not be a problem. At least that is the way I understand it

ESPN I suspect will be in the outside looking in

This is probably good for the B10+4-2 and PAC-whatev if they make it to another media rights deal. ESPN will really want their inventory.

Bahaha suck it ESPN!

To make matters worse for ESPN, the network is expected to get “aggressive” in the pursuit of PAC-12 and Big 12 media rights if the Big Ten ices it out.

Imagine thinking it’s a good idea to dump money into the PAC-12 given the fact nobody knows if it will exist in three years. Not smart! Not smart at all!

I have mixed emotions on this:
1) I don't like ESPN so from that standpoint I am pleased, that they won't be televising Big 10 games.
2) But it does mean they will probably go out of their way to ignore or diss the Big 10, and wildly promote and pimp the $EC and other conferences they televise. And like it or not, they are the "sports leader" and their opinions do carry weight. I am concerned with how their bias might affect recruiting and kids' perceptions of the Big 10.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back