• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Former Baylor HC Art Briles Hired as Mount Vernon High School's New Head Coach

Voice Of Reason

Scout Team
10 Year Member
Wow just wow!!! Only in Texas.

Briles is a complicated man. I don't understand, based on what I know about him, how he could have allowed the Baylor program to devolve into what it became. He was a long-time high school coach before he arrived as a coach on the college scene. I assume that the lack of D1 offers since he left Baylor is an indication that he's viewed now as an Untouchable, so I'm curious how this all works out. He played for Bill Yeoman at Houston when (we now know) he was basically paying his players, so he has probably always had a warped view of what it means to be a college football player. As long as he runs a clean program and gets re-focused on the values that he supposedly started out with, I wish him well. His Veer & Shoot offense was/is probably the coolest offense that I've ever seen as long as he has a good dual-threat QB.

I recall when he was at Stephenville High School (TX) that there were a lot of rumors about funny business going on in that program, with recruiting kids to move there and play, etc. They were an absolute steam roller at Stephenville High and it was a complete mismatch most of the time. On that topic, didn't our own Kody Spano come from one of Briles' teams? Or was he later?

So, what you guys are saying is that he is even more unhirable than the Huskers former favorite, BO. LMAO! :Lol:

I recall when he was at Stephenville High School (TX) that there were a lot of rumors about funny business going on in that program, with recruiting kids to move there and play, etc. They were an absolute steam roller at Stephenville High and it was a complete mismatch most of the time. On that topic, didn't our own Kody Spano come from one of Briles' teams? Or was he later?
Spano was way, way later... Briles was already at Baylor (after being at UofH)...

Ummm... Where'd your grow up?

I think recruiting is pretty much the way things are done and have been done for a long time in Texas HS Football...

...and my dad said it occurred in early 1950's Nebraska HS Basketball... there were always some good players that transferred in to the obvious Lincoln schools in the 1970s and there were rumors about kids that transferred into Westside.

If nothing else, someone with a kid with talent decides to move or find a new job... Happens in all sports.

IMO, Briles was a pretty good recruiting judge of talent. He recruited fair and square. His football reputation is such that most people looking to move somewhere would check out what ever school he was coaching at...

Queue up the lawyer parents for other schools filing complaints to disqualify rival schools around district playoff time... that is always amusing...

Last edited:
I grew up in Amarillo, so I had no skin in the game. But my BIL was from stephenville and told me some interesting stories. He always liked Briles, FWIW.

He always liked Briles, FWIW.
That's what's hard for me in all that happened at Baylor: I've always like Briles. I can't wrap my mind around how he could have allowed such a poisonous culture towards women to develop because it doesn't seem to fit his personality. I have no special insights, inside sources, or stories to tell. I just always liked the guy, and it blew my mind to hear what was going on there. I'm biased about it, too, because I want to find out that it was something with the campus culture or assistant coaches or a bad group of players or ... anything. I don't want to believe that such a brilliant offensive mind who seems like such an honest and genuine person could have been turning a blind eye to his players raping girls.

I don't think Briles consciously allowed a poisonous culture towards women. He just recruited a lot of thugs to help him win football games. And thugs are going to do thug-type things. Rape, drugs, guns, and knives. I know personally how hard it is to get into Baylor University, and I guarantee you that these thugs wouldn't have so much as sniffed the front driveway of Baylor had it not been for their athletic prowess. That is probably true for a lot of schools, however.

Last edited:
Here's what the Dallas Morning News had to say:

Disingenous on part of writer. Old College coaches “retire” to Texas High Schools. From whence they started.

Emory Bellard, inventor of the Wishbone T, finished at (Spring) Westfield HS. Just down the road from Klein.

Last edited:
I’ve always been a 2nd chance kind of guy. It I’m glad Briles didn't get a D1 college offer. His penance needs to be longer and tougher than most.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back