• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Forgotten Musicians

I suppose there is a difference between the prototypical "one-hit-wonder" and a "forgotten" artist. However, I'd say that once an artist reaches that elusive iconic status, I have a hard time labeling them as "forgotten." Hole is a good example of your definition (other than Courtney showing up on TMZ every couple months for something weird). They had two giant albums and then kind of fizzled.
But, and these aren't meant to start an argument, just my peculiar 2 cents:

Bolan - He's a legacy guy, especially across the pond. Bowie followed his lead (one of the only times you can say that about Bowie). I love his stuff but he's probably the least talented guitarist to ever have a Gibson signature guitar (at a steep price) http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/gibson-custom-marc-bolan-aged-les-paul-electric-guitar?source=3WWRWXG9&gclid=CLG60YOsy80CFQMQaQodFVwFDg&kwid=dynamicsearchads-adid^75067330940-device^c-campaign^[ADL]+[Non@ADL4Brand]+[US]+[Enhanced]+Test+@ADL4+Keywordless-account^Musicians+Friend+@ADL4+Google+@ADL4+US-adgroup^Dynamic+Search+Ad+Group

Syd - I'm probably biased on this one because I'm one of the few that actually enjoys Madcap Laughs. He burned out but I don't know if he'll ever be forgotten. Piper was revolutionary and his "antics" provided a lot of material for the Gilmour era songs.

Peter Gabriel - Led the massively influential prog-era Genesis, followed it up with arguably the biggest album of the early MTV era, and provided the blueprint for late '80s/early '90s production and instrumentation.

Talking Heads - The most recognizable American post-punk band with a decade worth of great albums.
I like your take on the two guys I went with joe, but the reason I chose those two guys is, if you talk about these two to "kids" under 35 years of age or so, most just wouldn't have any clue as to who you were talking about, 20 somethings would really have no clue, for the most part also. I'm also willing to bet that a ton of guys on here didn't know who Bolan was, or at least didn't realize who he was, so there is that too.

I like your take on the two guys I went with joe, but the reason I chose those two guys is, if you talk about these two to "kids" under 35 years of age or so, most just wouldn't have any clue as to who you were talking about, 20 somethings would really have no clue, for the most part also. I'm also willing to bet that a ton of guys on here didn't know who Bolan was, or at least didn't realize who he was, so there is that too.

I'm glad you said this HHS, exactly the reason I put Buchanan up there, IMO As good as any guitarists from his generation but unknown to most under 40 I'm guessing. Thats what came to mind as a "forgotten musician"

Fair points.

1.I think both those guys are more revered in England, a bit like the Stone Roses or Suede.

2. Bolan might throw some folks for a loss but I'm guessing most folks on the board have heard of T-Rex.

3. There was a '70s glam resurgence a few years ago. I'll bet they sell T-Rex shirts at Hot Topic.

I think Buchanan is "forgotten." I wouldn't have ever heard of him or Danny Gatton if it wasn't for guitar magazines. I think Roy is revered in the guitar-playing circles and relatively unknown outside of them.

I'm glad you said this HHS, exactly the reason I put Buchanan up there, IMO As good as any guitarists from his generation but unknown to most under 40 I'm guessing. Thats what came to mind as a "forgotten musician"

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back