• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Forde's realignment for 2020

81Husker

Recruit
Hello All! First Post Alert, so my apologies in advance if I screw something up.
Also bare with me, I just finished and it ended up being fairly long. I figured I needed to come back to the top and add this disclaimer!

Some of you may have seen Pat Forde's article where he realigned college football teams by region. He had 10 conferences of 10 teams.
I decided to take a stab at it myself.

Criteria I used:
All Power 5 teams were included
Group of 5 teams were included based on 2018 and 2019 results, with some leeway given based on geographical needs
Additionally I looked at 2020 projections
I also decided to include the 3 military academies as well, because I simply enjoying following those programs
No FCS teams were included

GO5/Indy teams added by conference:
American: 7
Mountain West: 5
C-USA: 4
MAC: 4 (didn't plan on 4 MAC teams, but needed additions for geographic reasons)
Sun-Belt: 2
Independents: 4

Pacific: San Diego State, Hawaii, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State
Mountain: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, BYU, Utah State, Air Force, Boise State, Texas Tech, Houston
Central: NEBRASKA, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern
Southwestern: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Arkansas, LSU, Louisiana Tech
Southern: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, Alabama, UAB, Memphis, Louisville, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt
Southeastern: Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, FAU, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Louisiana
Atlantic: Appalachian State, Wake Forest, NC State, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Liberty, Marshall, West Virginia
Mid-Atlantic: Pitt, Penn State, Temple, Syracuse, Buffalo, Boston College, Rutgers, Maryland, Navy, Army
Mid-East: Cincinnati, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Western Michigan, Ohio, Miami (OH)

I don't see the season starting on-time right now, so I have the season starting the second Saturday in October (10/10)
Each team would play a 9 game divisional only schedule. With a bye week built in and no conference/divisional championship games.
This would mean the season would end on Saturday, December 12.
There would be 4 regional sites for the playoffs
16 team playoff with the 9 divisional winners receiving auto-bids
7 at-large teams selected by the CFP selection committee
All teams seeded by the CFP selection committee
Match-ups would be heavily determined by limiting travel and geography
First and second rounds take place at four regional sites: Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, and Phoenix
These games would take place over the course of 3 days (December 24, 25 and 26)

Miami first round games take place at FAU and FIU stadiums; second round would be played as the Orange Bowl
Atlanta first and second round games played at Georgia Tech and Georgia State, second round would be played as the Peach Bowl
Dallas first and second round games played at TCU and SMU, second round would be played as the Cotton Bowl
Phoenix first and second round games played at Arizona State and GCU soccer stadium or Chase Field, second round would be played as the Fiesta Bowl

Winner of the Miami regional would face the winner of the Atlanta Regional in the Sugar Bowl to be held on Friday, January 1
Winner of the Dallas regional would face the winner of the Phoenix Regional in the Rose Bowl to be held on Saturday, January 2
National Championship Game held in Miami to be held on Monday, January 11

Last edited:

Hello All! First Post Alert, so my apologies in advance if I screw something up.
Also bare with me, I just finished and it ended up being fairly long. I figured I needed to come back to the top and add this disclaimer!

Some of you may have seen Pat Forde's article where he realigned college football teams by region. He had 10 conferences of 10 teams.
I decided to take a stab at it myself.

Criteria I used:
All Power 5 teams were included
Group of 5 teams were included based on 2018 and 2019 results, with some leeway given based on geographical needs
Additionally I looked at 2020 projections
I also decided to include the 3 military academies as well, because I simply enjoying following those programs
No FCS teams were included

GO5/Indy teams added by conference:
American: 7
Mountain West: 5
C-USA: 4
MAC: 4 (didn't plan on 4 MAC teams, but needed additions for geographic reasons)
Sun-Belt: 2
Independents: 4

Pacific: San Diego State, Hawaii, USC, UCLA, Stanford, Cal, Oregon, Oregon State, Washington, Washington State
Mountain: Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado, Utah, BYU, Utah State, Air Force, Boise State, Texas Tech, Houston
Central: NEBRASKA, Missouri, Kansas, Kansas State, Iowa, Iowa State, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Northwestern
Southwestern: Oklahoma, Oklahoma State, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, TCU, SMU, Arkansas, LSU, Louisiana Tech
Southern: Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Auburn, Alabama, UAB, Memphis, Louisville, Tennessee, Kentucky, Vanderbilt
Southeastern: Florida, Florida State, Miami, UCF, FAU, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Clemson, South Carolina, Louisiana
Atlantic: Appalachian State, Wake Forest, NC State, North Carolina, Duke, Virginia, Virginia Tech, Liberty, Marshall, West Virginia
Mid-Atlantic: Pitt, Penn State, Temple, Syracuse, Buffalo, Boston College, Rutgers, Maryland, Navy, Army
Mid-West: Cincinnati, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, Indiana, Purdue, Notre Dame, Western Michigan, Ohio, Miami (OH)

I don't see the season starting on-time right now, so I have the season starting the second Saturday in October (10/10)
Each team would play a 9 game divisional only schedule. With a bye week built in and no conference/divisional championship games.
This would mean the season would end on Saturday, December 12.
There would be 4 regional sites for the playoffs
16 team playoff with the 9 divisional winners receiving auto-bids
7 at-large teams selected by the CFP selection committee
All teams seeded by the CFP selection committee
Match-ups would be heavily determined by limiting travel and geography
First and second rounds take place at four regional sites: Miami, Atlanta, Dallas, and Phoenix
These games would take place over the course of 3 days (December 24, 25 and 26)

Miami first round games take place at FAU and FIU stadiums; second round would be played as the Orange Bowl
Atlanta first and second round games played at Georgia Tech and Georgia State, second round would be played as the Peach Bowl
Dallas first and second round games played at TCU and SMU, second round would be played as the Cotton Bowl
Phoenix first and second round games played at Arizona State and GCU soccer stadium or Chase Field, second round would be played as the Fiesta Bowl

Winner of the Miami regional would face the winner of the Atlanta Regional in the Sugar Bowl to be held on Friday, January 1
Winner of the Dallas regional would face the winner of the Phoenix Regional in the Rose Bowl to be held on Saturday, January 2
National Championship Game held in Miami to be held on Monday, January 11
Need to find a spot for USF.

Need to find a spot for USF.
I didn't include USF because of their performance the previous two years (7-6 in 2018/4-8 last year). Plus they are being predicted to finish towards the bottom of the AAC this year.
However, I did consider adding them instead of Louisiana to the Southeastern. I went with Louisiana based on their 11 wins last year and only 3 losses which were all fairly close to Miss State and 2 losses to ranked App State. Plus, they are projected to have a very good team again in 2020, and when you look close and break both teams down, Louisiana looks to have more talent.

I live in Houston, it was talked about today. The mountain would be good for Houston. The 500 mile is a must for our huskers. Gbr

I like what you did with the conference that matters to me, the Central Conference. Seeing the regional mix of the Big 8 and Big 10 sounds like like a dream for the fans that want to make it to the away games (if we ever get to do that again)! :nod:

You might want to switch the Central and Midwest names. The midwest teams are East of the central teams. :Banana:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back