• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Ford Lightning F-150

BigRedMax

Administrator
Staff member
20 Year Member
Have had an order in since June of last year. The dealership says I may be able to build and order it by next month. They had one on the lot that the let me take a test drive. The acceleration is amazing and the screen is huge. Can't wait.

1660347144095.png

1660347175574.png

1660347226601.png

1660347286288.png

Nice pickup and engineering, not for me though. I'd have to go with some sort of hybrid if I were to dip my toe into the electric vehicle scene.

I’m very interested to see how well these trucks hold up. Kudos to Ford for not going with a futuristic looking truck like Tesla’s Cybertruck. EV technology continues to accelerate at a rapid pace. My only concern is the towing aspect. Towing heavy loads has to wear down that battery pretty good which may reduce the effectiveness of the battery over time. I had a friend in high school who was part of a huge Ford family, big SVT people. They had two 90’s Ford Lightnings and I remember rodding around in them and thinking the performance was next-level. Nothing compared to the HP and acceleration of the new Lightning.

l about had a heart attack when Dodge announced they are cancelling the Challenger and Charger. However, I am sort of intrigued by this new Dodge Hornet GLH.

Last edited:
Probably great for short trips and "around town" driving. Saw an independent study though where trailers were hooked up to one of these and a conventional gas combustion engine truck. Both were set out on a 200 mile road trip. No contest, the electric truck couldn't complete the drive (and no charging station in sight).
That said, I like the concept of alternative power vehicles. For folks like me that live in more rural areas the technology isn't quite there yet. Then again, I had a fit the first time I saw an engine sitting sideways under the hood of a car so what do I know:oops:

Found this website where you can put in your zip code and it will show all the EV's with their range and estimated lease cost.

Hoovie's garage.. he just recently got his standard range Ford F150 EV truck.. check out the video. not good on the range pulling an empty trailer.

If anyone is buying this truck to tug around an RV or 30ft boat, you're a moron.

The use case is clearly people who have occasional need to bring home a washing machine from Home Depot yet still want a decently-ranged electric vehicle and the efficiency that comes with it.

The jury is still out on battery life, though. If they're anything like my lithium-ion power tools, you'll have to change out battery packs after some period of use. I probably buy 1-2 new batteries a year, but I'm constantly building things or landscaping on the weekends. Same principle applies to car batteries: you can only up-charge / de-charge a battery so many times before it fails. Except with electric cars it's not as simple as buying a new pack from DeWalt or Milwaukie.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back