• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For you out of state Husker fans and alums

Yep, I regularly get reminded of the '96 game here in AZ. I always chuckle because locals remember the '96 game and I remember the National Championship Nebraska won the following year.

Yep. Folks here get amnesia when you bring up the '95 ASU/NE game, too, a 77-28 shellacking in Lincoln. All they have on Nebraska is that Fiesta Bowl win in '75, and the upset in our new QB's second start, '96 in Tempe.

How many times over the last 10-15+ years have you been asked "When is Husker football going to be back?" Or the other question: "What's wrong with Husker football?"
I live in NC and I get those questions from time to time when someone sees me in Husker attire or finds out where I went to school. I'm ready for the day when Frost and the team can show we are back.
Here's to looking forward to a good season ahead! GBR
I get that a lot. I first moved away from Nebraska (to Lafayette, IN) in January '99, after the '98 season when we lost 4 for the first time in 30 years. I got a lot of "What's wrong with Nebraska?" that year. And both questions ever since.

Moved to Illinois in 2007. Not as many college FB fans there, but the ones that were generally asked me "is Nebraska going to be back this year?"

Now I'm in Georgia, where very few people care about anything outside of the SEC (or Georgia Tech). Usually the comments come from Husker fans, when they see my Husker gear.

I live in ScuMbagville......this is my truck license plate since 1995......somewhat more hostile out here.
I periodically get told I'm "NUMBER ONE", if you get my drift. And not with the index finger! LOL!!

I live in Northern Virginia / DC area. I don't get the questions about when will we back or what is wrong. I more get memories people have about how good we were, Tom Osborne, how they grew up watching OU vs NU every year in a big game, or how they preferred OU over NU (I get that a lot).

Also in NC. Sometimes I'm asked if I'm from Nebraska. Then I get the follow up of how did I become a fan.

Yeah, disgraceful actions by Clemson coach in that game as I recall and then Bo's first team beat Daby's first team in the bowl game. Living in Raleigh there is nothing good to say about Clemson. GBR GBR
If I remember right, Danny Ford got into some trouble after that year because of some recruiting violations that [he said] the South Carolina Gamecock coaches had exposed secretly. And, he tried to blame coach Osborne.

"Clemson was placed on probation for two years in 1982 after the NCAA cited 70 violations committed during Ford’s term and that of his predecessor, Charley Pell. "

"Ford acknowledged one potential factor was the NCAA violations. Less than a year after Clemson won the national title, the NCAA banned the football program from TV appearances and bowl games for two years and took away 20 scholarships — sanctions for recruiting violations that took place between 1977 and 1982. The NCAA put the program back on probation again in 1990 — the penalty for 14 rules violations, ranging from cash payments to players of $50-$150 to improper recruiting techniques.
Two weeks after the NCAA charged Clemson with the second set of recruiting violations, Ford resigned. Ford said it was fair to assume certain schools refused to consider him as a candidate because of the rules violations."

Last edited:

I was at a soccer tournament wearing a red-husker hat, and someone asked me if I lost a bet. I was offended. I was like who's your team? They wouldn't tell me, and I am sure that is because their history almost assuredly doesn't compare the history of the Big Red!

Most people have respect for the N. The above is very atypical and I live in Knoxville, TN, so...

View attachment 27715

I live in ScuMbagville......this is my truck license plate since 1995......somewhat more hostile out here.
I periodically get told I'm "NUMBER ONE", if you get my drift. And not with the index finger! LOL!!
When I lived in Colorado I had plates that read Goskers. Surprised nothing ever happened to my car decked out in Husker decals. This was 2001-2004 too, a very contentious time to be a Husker in Colorado.

In the KC area there are a bunch of Husker fans so i dont get too much flax out in public. However I work with a bunch of MU and KState alum who have forgotten the butt whippens they received for so many years

I live in Northern Virginia / DC area. I don't get the questions about when will we back or what is wrong. I more get memories people have about how good we were, Tom Osborne, how they grew up watching OU vs NU every year in a big game, or how they preferred OU over NU (I get that a lot).
I live just across the river and hear much of the same in MD

I was at a soccer tournament wearing a red-husker hat, and someone asked me if I lost a bet. I was offended. I was like who's your team? They wouldn't tell me, and I am sure that is because their history almost assuredly doesn't compare the history of the Big Red!

Most people have respect for the N. The above is very atypical and I live in Knoxville, TN, so...
I lived in Knoxville in the mid 90s and you can bet they were a bit more respectful then. Our run in the 90s corresponded with some of Tennessee’s best years as well. I think the douchebaggery is just an SEC thing

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back