• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For those that want Matt Campbell as HC if Frost is fired.....

I guess you’re expecting NU to win enough for him to keep his job then. I’m fine with that. I hope he does, but should he lose to northwestern, he’ll have one foot out the door. Yes, I’m a fan of what he’s done so far, who wouldn’t be that knows anything about college football? He’s won at Iowa freaking State. One of the worst power 5 teams ever. Jealous Nebraska fans bashing a guy because he’s made Iowa State a better program than lowly Nebraska.
AGreed no one should bash the guy, I love watching ISU games, he gets the best out of his players. And yes I am very much expecting (maybe a lot of hoping) that Scott wins enough to keep his job. Long way off until Ireland I just can't go to that place of him losing to Northwestern.

I am hoping both Scott and Matt have successful seasons next year and for the many years to come.

Who put that team together? Campbell. From chopped liver as well. The guy can coach. They were in every game. Brock Purdy has some Adrian Martinez in him, turns the ball over at the worst times. Cost them against Iowa, Baylor, Clemson and OU. No, Iowa State won’t be as good next year, but he has recruited better than they ever have, so we will see what he can do, again.
Guess who else was in literally every game against far superior opponents and is in a super sized hot seat? Yup, our very own Scott Frost.

You don't think if something happened to Frost, some D-1 team wouldn't snap him up in a second? Or are you saying Power 5 and head coach? That I might agree with but some team in D-1 somewhere would take him in a second, either as a head coach or and OC.
I'm not saying he wouldn't be WR coach for Chip at UCLA, but he wouldn't be Power 5 HC. Maybe a Toledo type HC, but I even doubt that. If he tanks next year, he will have to rehab his reputation before he gets a whiff of a Power 5 HC job again. Once you've been a HC a Power 5 school you'll always be able to find a job somewhere.

Guess who else was in literally every game against far superior opponents and is in a super sized hot seat? Yup, our very own Scott Frost.
You’re right, but Frost is 15-29, zero winning seasons, zero bowl appearances. Campbell is 42-34 at Iowa state with 5 winning seasons out of 6, 5 bowl appearances.

I’ve never understood the aura about Matt Campbell. Certainly he’s won more than lost, and he’s several rungs above anything we’ve got. Yet he wouldn’t be my go-to for a big time coach.

Who are the other 3 you like before Campbell? I don’t get the disdain for the guy. He’s won, a bunch, at IOWA STATE. I’d trade Frost for him in a nanosecond.

I don't think there is any disdain... some just have Campbell lower on the wish list. I think he is a top notch coach for sure and has definitely taken ISU to a higher level. I would not have a problem at all if Frost didn't work out and he was chosen as next head coach.

MC can't seem to beat Iowa either... would feel better if they prevailed occasionally

You don't think if something happened to Frost, some D-1 team wouldn't snap him up in a second? Or are you saying Power 5 and head coach? That I might agree with but some team in D-1 somewhere would take him in a second, either as a head coach or and OC.

If Frost is looking for a job a year from now, that probably means 5 straight losing seasons.

Would be hard to get a head coaching job with that resume. I wouldn't doubt he would latch on somewhere as an assistant -- and maybe 2-3 years later gets another shot at head coaching -- but I tend to think he'd have to work his way back up the ladder.

Why is everyone piling on Campbell? The guy is a phenomenal coach. He made chicken salad out of chicken crap. He turned a roster of 2* players into winners. So the season didn’t go as well as many had hoped. I wouldn’t say it’s because of him. They were in every game, could’ve won all of them, but key mistakes happened. They are about to put quite a few players into the NFL. I’m not sure why jealous Nebraska fans want to bag on the guy.
I am not piling on him. All I know is ISU was one of the darlings before the season started and Campbell was being mentioned for every big time HC opening/potentially opening that was mentioned. His team was a dark horse playoff team. He had his most talented team EVER, anywhere this year and VASTLY underwhelmed. Now he will basically replace 65% of his starters.

We will see how PHENOMINAL he really is next year.

I am not piling on him. All I know is ISU was one of the darlings before the season started and Campbell was being mentioned for every big time HC opening/potentially opening that was mentioned. His team was a dark horse playoff team. He had his most talented team EVER, anywhere this year and VASTLY underwhelmed. Now he will basically replace 65% of his starters.

We will see how PHENOMINAL he really is next year.
He’s recruited better lately. I think they will be fine. He did it already with 2* players. He has better players to work with now. Things just didn’t go their way. They were right there in every game.

I’ve never understood the aura about Matt Campbell. Certainly he’s won more than lost, and he’s several rungs above anything we’ve got. Yet he wouldn’t be my go-to for a big time coach.

He's got the best winning percentage of any Iowa State head football coach in the past 100 years.

ISU does not have the facilities, revenue, tradition, recruiting ability, etc of any of the traditional powers. Campbell has done more than any coach has even shown ability to do in Ames. I can never knock that.

While he's not my number one, he's definitely top five. And I can't argue with anyone who would want him before any other coach. He's a proven winner at a school that is very, very difficult to win at.

Last edited:
He's got the best winning percentage of any Iowa State head football coach in the past 100 years.

ISU does not have the facilities, revenue, tradition, recruiting ability, etc of any of the traditional powers. Campbell has done more than any coach has even shown ability to do in Ames. I can never knock that.

While he's not my number one, he's definitely top five. And I can't argue with anyone who would want him before any other coach. He's a proven winner at a school that is very, very difficult to win at.

ok you convinced me. :Corn2:

AGreed no one should bash the guy, I love watching ISU games, he gets the best out of his players. And yes I am very much expecting (maybe a lot of hoping) that Scott wins enough to keep his job. Long way off until Ireland I just can't go to that place of him losing to Northwestern.

I am hoping both Scott and Matt have successful seasons next year and for the many years to come.
I’d bet the Ireland thing gets nixed, and the game is @Northwestern.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back