• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For those that want Matt Campbell as HC if Frost is fired.....

dparks

Varsity
20 Year Member
.......next year will be telling.

As was stated on a thread, on HuskerMax, from before the season started or had barely started last year (I can't find it), the 2021 ISU team was predicted to do very well, there was even some playoff talk. They were expected to at least be in, or a game away, from the Big 12 CCG. I stated, in that thread, that he had better do it "this year" (which was the just concluded for them 2021 season) because he was going to lose a ton of starters. And, indeed, a great season would of put his name in a lot of coaching vacancies. But, alas, ISU did not contend for the Big 12 Conference title, they finished 7-6, his name hasn't come up for any of the big coaching vacancies, (or at least he didn't entertain any offers, if there were any) and...........................

................from the ESPN "recap" of ISU's bowl game (loss to Clemson): "Iowa State: The Cyclones will be hard-pressed to keep up their recent run of success with 19 senior starters departing — 17 of which had at least 21 starts."

So now we will see what kind of coach Campbell is. He was super loaded the last 2 years, and, IMO, UNDER-ACHIEVED BIG TIME and is basically looking at having a ton of new starters. Maybe he pulls a Tucker (MSU) and hits the portal and storms back to a better record.

No matter what, we shall see what he can do with a ton of starters gone.

.......next year will be telling.

As was stated on a thread, on HuskerMax, from before the season started or had barely started last year (I can't find it), the 2021 ISU team was predicted to do very well, there was even some playoff talk. They were expected to at least be in, or a game away, from the Big 12 CCG. I stated, in that thread, that he had better do it "this year" (which was the just concluded for them 2021 season) because he was going to lose a ton of starters. And, indeed, a great season would of put his name in a lot of coaching vacancies. But, alas, ISU did not contend for the Big 12 Conference title, they finished 7-6, his name hasn't come up for any of the big coaching vacancies, (or at least he didn't entertain any offers, if there were any) and...........................

................from the ESPN "recap" of ISU's bowl game (loss to Clemson): "Iowa State: The Cyclones will be hard-pressed to keep up their recent run of success with 19 senior starters departing — 17 of which had at least 21 starts."

So now we will see what kind of coach Campbell is. He was super loaded the last 2 years, and, IMO, UNDER-ACHIEVED BIG TIME and is basically looking at having a ton of new starters. Maybe he pulls a Tucker (MSU) and hits the portal and storms back to a better record.

No matter what, we shall see what he can do with a ton of starters gone.
Who put that team together? Campbell. From chopped liver as well. The guy can coach. They were in every game. Brock Purdy has some Adrian Martinez in him, turns the ball over at the worst times. Cost them against Iowa, Baylor, Clemson and OU. No, Iowa State won’t be as good next year, but he has recruited better than they ever have, so we will see what he can do, again.

Who put that team together? Campbell. From chopped liver as well. The guy can coach. They were in every game. Brock Purdy has some Adrian Martinez in him, turns the ball over at the worst times. Cost them against Iowa, Baylor, Clemson and OU. No, Iowa State won’t be as good next year, but he has recruited better than they ever have, so we will see what he can do, again.
Yeah, sounds familiar. Per the bolded from your statement, putting together a team from scratch, with talent and vastly under-achieving. Next year could be potentially way worse. He will earn his $$ next year losing 17 SR's who have started at least 21 games. Funny how those "Campbell to......" scenarios suddenly went as cold as a wildfire under a foot of snow.

Like many, Campbell is not my first choice either. Maybe 3rd or 4th. Again, if we even get to that point. I love me some Dave Aranda.

Regardless, I'm not sure that Campbell and ISU "underachieved big time."

Iowa State's recruiting classes ranked in the 50s nationally for those players who are departing.

ISU under Campbell has now produced five straight winning seasons. That's only been done one other time by a head coach in ISU history -- 1902-06. Five straight bowl games by Campbell is the most ever in Cyclone history.

I agree that Iowa State did not have the season most expected. However, compared to both the talent recruited and Iowa State's history, Matt Campbell is still very much a great coach.

Yeah, sounds familiar. Per the bolded from your statement, putting together a team from scratch, with talent and vastly under-achieving. Next year could be potentially way worse. He will earn his $$ next year losing 17 SR's who have started at least 21 games. Funny how those "Campbell to......" scenarios suddenly went as cold as a wildfire under a foot of snow.
Why is everyone piling on Campbell? The guy is a phenomenal coach. He made chicken salad out of chicken crap. He turned a roster of 2* players into winners. So the season didn’t go as well as many had hoped. I wouldn’t say it’s because of him. They were in every game, could’ve won all of them, but key mistakes happened. They are about to put quite a few players into the NFL. I’m not sure why jealous Nebraska fans want to bag on the guy.

Like many, Campbell is not my first choice either. Maybe 3rd or 4th. Again, if we even get to that point. I love me some Dave Aranda.

Regardless, I'm not sure that Campbell and ISU "underachieved big time."

Iowa State's recruiting classes ranked in the 50s nationally for those players who are departing.

ISU under Campbell has now produced five straight winning seasons. That's only been done one other time by a head coach in ISU history -- 1902-06. Five straight bowl games by Campbell is the most ever in Cyclone history.

I agree that Iowa State did not have the season most expected. However, compared to both the talent recruited and Iowa State's history, Matt Campbell is still very much a great coach.
Who are the other 3 you like before Campbell? I don’t get the disdain for the guy. He’s won, a bunch, at IOWA STATE. I’d trade Frost for him in a nanosecond.

Might be better to change your name to cyclone in Oklahoma and start rooting for ISU cause Scotty ain't going anywhere soon.
I guess you’re expecting NU to win enough for him to keep his job then. I’m fine with that. I hope he does, but should he lose to northwestern, he’ll have one foot out the door. Yes, I’m a fan of what he’s done so far, who wouldn’t be that knows anything about college football? He’s won at Iowa freaking State. One of the worst power 5 teams ever. Jealous Nebraska fans bashing a guy because he’s made Iowa State a better program than lowly Nebraska.

Who are the other 3 you like before Campbell? I don’t get the disdain for the guy. He’s won, a bunch, at IOWA STATE. I’d trade Frost for him in a nanosecond.

There's at least two -- but one is no longer available (Napier). I already stated who my #1 is -- Dave Aranda.

I have zero disdain for Campbell -- where did you see that? I'm assuming you read my lengthy praise of him.

I'd trade Frost for a dozen donuts and a Lone Star to wash 'em down. So, basically any coach would be fine. lol. But I have a man crush on Aranda.

Might be better to change your name to cyclone in Oklahoma and start rooting for ISU cause Scotty ain't going anywhere soon.
Campbell will still have a D-1 job next year this time if he wants. Right now that statement can't be made for Frost...

Campbell will still have a D-1 job next year this time if he wants. Right now that statement can't be made for Frost...
You don't think if something happened to Frost, some D-1 team wouldn't snap him up in a second? Or are you saying Power 5 and head coach? That I might agree with but some team in D-1 somewhere would take him in a second, either as a head coach or and OC.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back