• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For those proposing KU to the B1G…

The one thing different about the OU/UT move is that these are the top 2 teams in a Power 5 conference joining another Power 5. This move basically ends the Big XII.

The BIG needs to be looking to peel off top teams from the ACC and PAC 12 if it wants to protect its future. College football is moving to the consolidation stage. If the AAU thing truly matters, the target schools should be:

Top Tier:

USC, UCLA, Oregon

Second Tier:

Pittsburgh, Virgina, Stanford, CU, Washington

Stretch consideration (other sports, regional recruiting exposure):

Kansas, Duke, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Arizona

The trendline is a consolidation of conferences and gobbling up of the TV money. So moves need to work financially. If the BIG would drop the AAU thing, then you can quickly look to add Clemson, Florida State and Miami to the mix.

Last edited:

The one thing different about the OU/UT move is that these are the top 2 teams in a Power 5 conference joining another Power 5. This move basically ends the Big XII.

The BIG needs to be looking to peel off top teams from the ACC and PAC 12 if it wants to protect its future. College football is moving to the consolidation stage. If the AAU thing truly matters, the target schools should be:

Top Tier:

USC, UCLA, Oregon

Second Tier:

Pittsburgh, Virgina, Stanford, CU, Washington

The trendline is a consolidation of conferences and gobbling up of the TV money. So moves need to work financially. If the BIG would drop the AAU thing, then you can quickly look to add Florida State and Miami to the mix.
See you’re thinking big and I like it! You’re one of the good lawyers!

I hope you meant ASU, Arizona will be on probation for 10 years if they don't get the death penalty LOL.

I hope you meant ASU, Arizona will be on probation for 10 years if they don't get the death penalty LOL.

Yeah .... That's a good point. But if AAU matters, Arizona is part of it. Arizona State doesn't bring much to the table.

I think alumni base and tv viewers still matter. However tv market or streaming it doesn’t matter. I believe KC and St Louis would be nice markets to tap and Missouri has good recruiting. I grew up in KC and I’m assuming you live there. Kansas is a National brand in basketball. I wonder what they would bring in viewership. I really don’t know.
Baylor is the defending national champion in basketball. If we are fixated on bb, why not them with a better program in other sports and a Texas footprint?

Why do we need to get bigger?
Because after reading the Internet everybody becomes an expert and knows the college football world is moving towards two major conferences. They seem to forget that every time the rumor of a change happens the same crazy scenarios materialize out of nowhere and everyone claims to be an expert. A couple of our resident experts start throwing the stuff out prior to the media then I’ll believe what comes out of their mouth. Until then it’s all speculation. The same whacked out scenarios were playing out in front of us back in 2011 and everybody was an expert back then as well.

Last edited:

We don't have to, but the trend seems to be toward consolidation. This is going to be for gobbling up as much of the TV money as possible, as well as spots in the post season playoff. Bowls and conference championship aren't going to mean much any more.

We don't have to, but the trend seems to be toward consolidation. This is going to be for gobbling up as much of the TV money as possible, as well as spots in the post season playoff. Bowls and conference championship aren't going to mean much any more.
What trend? The rumor of one conference adding two teams?

I'm sure many in the B1G asked that same question prior to adding Nebraska. I don't think it's so much a need to get bigger as it is a need to maintain a viable financial/business model as the college football landscape begins to change rapidly in the coming years.

Because after reading the Internet everybody becomes an expert and knows the college football world is moving towards two major conferences. They seem to forget that every time the rumor of a change happens the same crazy scenarios materialize out of nowhere and everyone claims to be an expert. A couple of our resident experts start throwing the stuff out prior to the media then I’ll believe what comes out of their mouth. Until then it’s all speculation. The same whacked out scenarios were playing out in front of us back in 2011 and everybody was an expert back then as well.
I agree with you. Not sure why everyone thinks two super conferences is so great. I still think 8 teams was best. A lot more chances to win your conference than 16 or 24 teams in it.

What trend? The rumor of one conference adding two teams?

Big east gone. Big XII about to be gone. College football playoff, expanding.

The PAC 12 is falling way behind. The ACC will need to keep up. The splitting of TV money and post season money is going to bring more pressure to ADs to not fall behind.

If UT and OU are willing to demolish their conference to make the money grab, that's pretty telling as to what's going to be happening.

I see we have an expert on who the experts are.. lol.

We need to go bigger to gain the advantage... Seriously, people don't realize this? Money, recruits, TV's an in to more teams in the playoffs...

Last edited:
Baylor is the defending national champion in basketball. If we are fixated on bb, why not them with a better program in other sports and a Texas footprint?
Their religious affiliation would play a part I would suppose. Honestly who do you think has a more National following Kansas or Baylor?

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back