• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

For OU Fans/Historians from the 80s

MonagHusker

Recruit
5 Year Member
Throughout the 80s it seemed like Oklahoma and Nebraska were vying for rushing titles. Maybe this came more out of the early 90s, but it seems like even earlier Nebraska's rush heavy approach was called into question by the pundits.

Was Oklahoma's similarly rush heavy approach questioned by the media as not being balanced enough?

Throughout the 80s it seemed like Oklahoma and Nebraska were vying for rushing titles. Maybe this came more out of the early 90s, but it seems like even earlier Nebraska's rush heavy approach was called into question by the pundits.

Was Oklahoma's similarly rush heavy approach questioned by the media as not being balanced enough?
Not as much. Mainly because Switzer was such a good recruiter that he always had the best athletes on the field. TO had good athletes but on average Switzer's were better. Once he left OU started getting the same criticism as TO.

Not as much. Mainly because Switzer was such a good recruiter that he always had the best athletes on the field. TO had good athletes but on average Switzer's were better. Once he left OU started getting the same criticism as TO.

Thanks! I definitely thought the things I was hearing were more about wishbone wizardry. I wasn't following them much, but I don't recall as many comments about being behind the times like we would with Nebraska.

Only when they lost, which wasn't frequently. The same can be said for Nebraska.

Both teams struggled when they'd get behind against similarly talented teams.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back