• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Locked due to no posts in 60 days. Report 1st post if need unlocked Fonzo's sad slide

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was wrong. There, that should appease you for a year or two. Congrats AD. Go make some good history young man.

Why does everyone here believe getting drafted in the 7th round is better than being a free agent? That's exactly the opposite I've heard for years.

If he goes it'll probably be in round 7 when the majority of the guys picked don't make NFL teams. At this point Dennard is a huge, huge value pick out there for somebody. I doubt he gets sentenced to jail time.

Dennard got picked up by Pats in the 7th round (quite a tumble indeed).

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/post/_/id/4721372/rapid-reaction-alfonzo-dennard

Bill Belichick is no-nonsense guy. I agree that Dennard is a huge value pick in the 7th round, but if he screws up in any way, the Pats will cut him loose immediately.

I'd be very interested to see where he would have gone. In the OWH they had ranking of players at each position all week...some AP reporter I think. Anyway, he wasn't in the top 10 corners on that list. I'm guessing he wouldn't have gone before the 4th round if that.

Why does everyone here believe getting drafted in the 7th round is better than being a free agent? That's exactly the opposite I've heard for years.

I think the "rather be a free agent" thing is a rationalization that people use when trying to soften the blow of not getting drafted. Even if you are drafted in the last round you are still WANTED by that team for something. FA's that sign, it seems, are often signed simply to fill out the roster for the off-season.

I'm going to guess that the % of 7th rounders that stick is higher than the % of FA's that stick.

I think the "rather be a free agent" thing is a rationalization that people use when trying to soften the blow of not getting drafted. Even if you are drafted in the last round you are still WANTED by that team for something. FA's that sign, it seems, are often signed simply to fill out the roster for the off-season.

I'm going to guess that the % of 7th rounders that stick is higher than the % of FA's that stick.

Agreed. Getting drafted in the 7th round by the Patriots is far better than being a free agent. The Patriots don't draft people that they don't have a plan in mind for, and besides, they were so short of corners last year that they were playing WRs at corner. Plus, if you make the team, the likelihood of playoff money is high.

Agreed. Getting drafted in the 7th round by the Patriots is far better than being a free agent. The Patriots don't draft people that they don't have a plan in mind for, and besides, they were so short of corners last year that they were playing WRs at corner. Plus, if you make the team, the likelihood of playoff money is high.

Actually, quite a few "drafted" players never make a NFL roster. Many of these kids are under the false impression that they are automatically on the team after draft day. Quite the contrary, they are basically just guaranteed a spot for preseason until the final 53 man roster is finalized for the regular season. Dennard will get a shot to prove himself in camp. In fact, free agents get the same chance for teams that could not draft immediate needs. I think working with Belichick will do wonders for Dennard toward his growth and maturity.

Actually, quite a few "drafted" players never make a NFL roster. Many of these kids are under the false impression that they are automatically on the team after draft day. Quite the contrary, they are basically just guaranteed a spot for preseason until the final 53 man roster is finalized for the regular season. Dennard will get a shot to prove himself in camp. In fact, free agents get the same chance for teams that could not draft immediate needs. I think working with Belichick will do wonders for Dennard toward his growth and maturity.

Never said that he was guaranteed a roster spot. I understand the process.

Never said that he was guaranteed a roster spot. I understand the process.

Brew City, got it that you understand the process. Just not sure your claim that being drafted in the 7th round is somehow "better" than being drafted as a free agent.

All of those kids have to prove themselves in camp regardless of their draft position.

Brew City, got it that you understand the process. Just not sure your claim that being drafted in the 7th round is somehow "better" than being drafted as a free agent.

All of those kids have to prove themselves in camp regardless of their draft position.

a drafted guy is likely to get a better "look" than most free agents. Again, I'm willing to bet big money that the % of 7th rounders making rosters is far greater than the % of FAs

a drafted guy is likely to get a better "look" than most free agents. Again, I'm willing to bet big money that the % of 7th rounders making rosters is far greater than the % of FAs

I'd bet the house on it. Each team will bring aboard around 7-10 undrafted free agents -- while they'll have 0 to 2 players drafted in the 7th round. Maybe 1 undrafted free agent will stick (2 tops...sometimes none). And maybe an average of one 7th round pick sticks. Well, that's easy math. The pool of undrafted free agents is several times larger than that of 7th round draft picks.

I'd bet the house on it. Each team will bring aboard around 7-10 undrafted free agents -- while they'll have 0 to 2 players drafted in the 7th round. Maybe 1 undrafted free agent will stick (2 tops...sometimes none). And maybe an average of one 7th round pick sticks. Well, that's easy math. The pool of undrafted free agents is several times larger than that of 7th round draft picks.

That's why I said "%".

The only advantage of being a free agent is that you may have a choice in which team you go to camp with. The 7th round draft choice is more likely to make the team and gets more money if he does make the team. Of course you have to actually make the team. In Dennard's case, he is going to a team with a need for depth at CB. Furthermore, the team he has been drafted by has a reputation for making serviceable players out of lower draft picks as well as a reputation for having a locker-room environment that keeps players in line. I can't imagine a better situation for him, given his recent troubles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back