• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fly Tying

Okay, time to practice your whip finishes on a bare hook:

Also, those hollow back ends are there on the bodkin, bobbin threader, and whip-finisher to be used for half-hitches. If you wrap your thread 3x around the handle, then slip it over the eye of the hook, it basically functions the same as a whip finish, too. If you have a lot of hackle, or it's hard to get the whip finish tool into the right place, the half-hitch tool saves the day. Here's how you can do that:

Last edited:
Okay, time to practice your whip finishes on a bare hook:

Also, those hollow back ends are there on the bodkin, bobbin threader, and whip-finisher to be used for half-hitches. If you wrap your thread 3x around the handle, then slip it over the eye of the hook, it basically functions the same as a whip finish, too. If you have a lot of hackle, or it's hard to get the whip finish tool into the right place, the half-hitch tool saves the day. Here's how you can do that:

Since the late seventies, I've been using my finger for half hitches.

It's not really that hard...unless you're into the #18 or smaller sized flies.

I'll also typically finish with a series of half hitches instead of a whip finish.

I'll also typically finish with a series of half hitches instead of a whip finish.
1588567861803.png

@uncertainbyprinciple, I'm curious if you can see this link, which was just listed last night. I'm not sure where you live, but I can't imagine that your Facebook Marketplace pages are significantly worse that mine, yet I keep seeing deal after deal on various sizes and styles of rolltop desks. I already have a full size one (4' wide) in my basement and a small one (30" wide) in our family room, so I don't need another one, but they keep showing up in my Facebook feed. If the link doesn't work, it's a small oak rolltop secretary's desk for $40 that looks like this:

95865084_10157743863829064_8273051660087984128_o.jpg

95801397_10157743863774064_6807099925197750272_o.jpg

95861992_10157743863754064_6012132917868756992_o.jpg

Last edited:
@uncertainbyprinciple, I'm curious if you can see this link, which was just listed last night. I'm not sure where you live, but I can't imagine that your Facebook Marketplace pages are significantly worse that mine, yet I keep seeing deal after deal on various sizes and styles of rolltop desks. I already have a full size one (4' wide) in my basement and a small one (30" wide) in our family room, so I don't need another one, but they keep showing up in my Facebook feed. If the link doesn't work, it's a small oak rolltop secretary's desk for $40 that looks like this:

Yep, the link takes me to the page. That's a sweet looking piece for $40. I'd kind of put getting a dedicated piece of furniture on the back burner for a while due to assumed cost. My wife is gonna hate you.

Yep, the link takes me to the page. That's a sweet looking piece for $40. I'd kind of put getting a dedicated piece of furniture on the back burner for a while due to assumed cost. My wife is gonna hate you.
Do a search on your local Facebook Marketplace for "rolltop." There are all makes, sizes, colors, etc. I never knew that so many people owned them, let alone that they'd want to sell them so cheaply.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back