• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fly fishing trips this year?

Thanks for the post. I assure you i am not the spin fisherman you describe in paragraph 1. I am currently subject to an elitist approach from the fly fishermen on our stream. We’re about 80% fly fishermen now, and they want it to be 100%. And I fear it will be forced. Funny, but that never came up when I dumped my life savings into helping buy the place.

I currently fish Panther Martin spinners on light tackle, but usually not ultra light. Typically 6 pound mono—stream is so good the wild trout don’t care, and it’s so much easier for my broken old eyes to tie it. I typically have a 6’ or 6’6” rod so not super long. I loved quartering and back- trolling raps, but the powers that be outlawed them.

I did plan to start by catching pan fish on a fly rod. And move up from there.

Thanks again for the great advice.

Last edited:
Thanks for the post. I assure you i am not the spin fisherman you describe in paragraph 1. I am currently subject to an elitist approach from the fly fishermen on our stream. We’re about 80% fly fishermen now, and they want it to be 100%. And I fear it will be forced. Funny, but that never came up when I dumped my life savings into helping buy the place.

I currently fish Panther Martin spinners on light tackle, but usually not ultra light. Typically 6 pound mono—stream is so good the wild trout don’t care, and it’s so much easier for my broken old eyes to tie it. I typically have a 6’ or 6’6” rod so not super long. I loved quartering and back- trolling raps, but the powers that be outlawed them.

I did plan to start by catching pan fish on a fly rod. And move up from there.

Thanks again for the great advice.
Can you use more than one fly/lure on your line? If so, the jig & flies rig would work for you.

When I was a kid I watched my uncle use an old hand crank field radio voltage generator to shock fish in a pond. He’d drop the wires over the side of the boat, start cranking and fish would start floating up to the surface. Then he’d just pick the ones he wanted to keep. West Virginia electroshock therapy.
So tell me if I’m off base here, but I seem to remember my grandad sticking some electric prong in the ground and earthworms came to the surface in droves. Fishing worms. Do I recall that correctly?

So tell me if I’m off base here, but I seem to remember my grandad sticking some electric prong in the ground and earthworms came to the surface in droves. Fishing worms. Do I recall that correctly?
It works if the ground is wet, the voltage is sufficient, the worms are there, and you wait long enough for them to come out. We used to do that when I was in high school after a good rain, and it worked, but it was quicker and more efficient to just find them with a flashlight at night when the grass was wet. I also get a ton out of my garden because I have relatively deep trenches that I fill in with water where my leeks grow, and they'll come to the surface when the water gets to the point that it's saturated the soil. The robins know the routine. If I walk outside into my yard, they'll hop on a branch near the garden. When I turn the water hose on, they move in closer and wait.

Another trick that sounds better in principle than it actually works is to squirt nightcrawlers with a squirtgun that has diluted mustard in it. Mustard irritates their skin, so they'll come fully out of the hole to thrash around and rub it off, but it usually takes awhile to it get it to work, and if the mustard solution isn't strong enough, it doesn't work. Again, it's easier to just pick them up at night on a wet lawn. Better yet, get some kids to pick 'em up for you.

I think @Middle-aged_Ball_Coach pretty much covers the variables. It could work in theory, but I never witnessed my uncle do it. With his method, you didn't need worms.....

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back