• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fly fishing trips this year?

Scaly, swimmy kind.
cVvrNzGjqnPYA.gif

It's such a cool river that it can support trout, smallmouth, and catfish. I don't think that is very common.

Ive seen other rivers out west that have a lot of diversity through their overall length, but the New does that over a relatively short distance.

It's such a cool river that it can support trout, smallmouth, and catfish. I don't think that is very common.
Ive seen other rivers out west that have a lot of diversity through their overall length, but the New does that over a relatively short distance.
Don't forget the muskies. The New River and the James River (VA) are becoming some of the better musky waters in the U.S.

It's considered a normal riparian habitat to have trout in the cool headwaters with brookies at the top and then brown trout further down, eventually giving way to smallmouths. There's usually some overlap, especially by seasons, but the places where the smallmouth and the brown trout overlap is usually not ideal for either. Keep going down stream and you start seeing largemouth and then channel cats. Muskies more or less overlap with the smallmouth water in most streams, which is also usually where walleyes/saugers and crappies thrive.

Last edited:
Don't forget the muskies. The New River and the James River (VA) are becoming some of the better musky waters in the U.S.

It's considered a normal riparian habitat to have trout in the cool headwaters with brookies at the top and then brown trout further down, eventually giving way to smallmouths. There's usually some overlap, especially by seasons, but the places where the smallmouth and the brown trout overlap is usually not ideal for either. Keep going down stream and you start seeing largemouth and then channel cats. Muskies more or less overlap with the smallmouth water in most streams, which is also usually where walleyes/saugers and crappies thrive.

The Smith River in VA is very cool because it shouldn't be able to support even stocked trout because it's not cold enough either through elevation or geography. But when they installed a dam upstream years back, they found the water stayed cold enough to support stocked brown trout. The best part is apparently the trout have adapted and for those that make it through the season, they swim downstream where the water is deeper and most fishermen can't get to them. There are some monster brownies down there.

The Smith River in VA is very cool because it shouldn't be able to support even stocked trout because it's not cold enough either through elevation or geography. But when they installed a dam upstream years back, they found the water stayed cold enough to support stocked brown trout. The best part is apparently the trout have adapted and for those that make it through the season, they swim downstream where the water is deeper and most fishermen can't get to them. There are some monster brownies down there.
Cold water release dams have created some of the best trout habitat in the world, including many places that could never sustain trout populations otherwise. Brown trout are the most adaptable, too. They're probably my favorite species of fish. They're not native to anywhere in the western hemisphere, but they don't care. They can handle warmer, more polluted water than any of the other trout species, or they can thrive in icy cold, pristine spring creeks. They're also the most predacious. What's not to like?

Cold water release dams have created some of the best trout habitat in the world, including many places that could never sustain trout populations otherwise. Brown trout are the most adaptable, too. They're probably my favorite species of fish. They're not native to anywhere in the western hemisphere, but they don't care. They can handle warmer, more polluted water than any of the other trout species, or they can thrive in icy cold, pristine spring creeks. They're also the most predacious. What's not to like?

One of these days my buddy and I are gonna float all the way downstream to the remote areas and go after some of the monster browns. Here's an article about it:

One of these days my buddy and I are gonna float all the way downstream to the remote areas and go after some of the monster browns. Here's an article about it:

I bought a used one-man pontoon exactly for situations like that. Virginia has a lot of rivers that have great wade fishing, but it's difficult to access without a boat. I love fishing the Rappahannock for smallmouths, and it has a lot of water like that.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back