• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Florida State University is Privatizing its Athletics Program

All 'N' 011808

Former Walk-on
5 Year Member

Orlando Sentinel article link...
Florida State University is privatizing its athletics department, shielding it from public-records requests and treating it like a corporation rather than a traditional state university department.

The school touted the move as an opportunity to streamline the relationship between the athletics department and Seminoles Booster, Inc., the fundraising arm of the athletics department. The change alters a set-up that gave a booster group an unusually prominent role in fundraising for an athletic department, granting considerable power to a third-party group.
The University of Florida and University of Central Florida have long operated their athletics departments as direct-support organizations. FSU officials said they had discussed the move for years and saw it as a chance to make their relationship with Seminole Boosters clearer and more efficient.

The switch will also give FSU athletics all the privileges of a private corporation, including declining any public-records requests while still preserving its sovereign immunity. The immunity clause for state agencies caps any jury judgments or settlements reached by the athletics department at $200,000. Any further settlements would have to be approved by the state Legislature to avoid undue burden on taxpayers, a privilege not enjoyed by traditional corporations.

Maybe a bit jealous and bit surprised. Shielding a public entity from public records requests doesn't seem quite right. But jealous because I didn't think of doing it first.

Wow! This carries a lot of potential to forever change college athletics as we know it. This will be an incredibly messy process to sort things out, organizationally.

SEC is kicking themselves for not thinking this up first.
The University of Florida and University of Central Florida have long operated their athletics departments as direct-support organizations.
It kinda sounds like they already did. Perhaps its a Florida school thing. I dunno. Don't really care either, as before long, schools will be paying college athletes to play(legally that is) so MEH.

I honestly thought this wasn't allowed by the NCAA or the bulk of the major schools would have already done this.

Aside from the nefarious twists most peoples minds are going to do immediately, what it actually does do is allow schools to pay coaches outside of state guidelines for employees. That is an issue in some state funded schools.

Athletic departments will absolutely find ways to take advantage of this. The mention of the FSU booster dollars in the article is concerning. I'd expect changes in NCAA rules to follow.

I honestly thought this wasn't allowed by the NCAA or the bulk of the major schools would have already done this.

Aside from the nefarious twists most peoples minds are going to do immediately, what it actually does do is allow schools to pay coaches outside of state guidelines for employees. That is an issue in some state funded schools.

Athletic departments will absolutely find ways to take advantage of this. The mention of the FSU booster dollars in the article is concerning. I'd expect changes in NCAA rules to follow.
I don't see how this can be allowed by the NCAA.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back