• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Florida NIL Problem

• Thread starter Deleted member 9019
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 9019

FoxNews - Sat 01/14. 4* QB recruit commitment to Univ FL. Agrees/signs a $12M NIL offer from a Gator collective.
Now it appears the $12M isn't available and the collective is trying to re-negotiate. This won't be the 1st time something like this happens.

The Husker athletic department sent out an email this past week basically giving their blessing to the three Husker-related NIL collectives. That could maybe get the department caught up in a suit over failure to pay but I'm not a lawyer.

It's inevitable they will -- if the money is there. NIL will keep pushing the bar higher, just like NFL contracts. If you don't want to keep up with the Joneses, you're risking falling behind the pack.
Until the system breaks. They're gonna eventually kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. There's no way a HS senior is worth more money than most people have made in their entire life.

Until the system breaks. They're gonna eventually kill the goose that lays the golden eggs. There's no way a HS senior is worth more money than most people have made in their entire life.

Worth is based on what people are willing to pay. And the entertainment industry (including sports) has forever elevated pay beyond that of the common man. There are kids younger than high school making more than people have in their entire life in music, acting, and now through social media/You Tubers/Tik Tokers.

What's going to kill the goose?

As I've said before, the best way to kill the system is for you, me, and as many fans as possible to not spend another penny on the sport. Otherwise, we are just feeding the monster. Fans make it happen.

Last edited:
Worth is based on what people are willing to pay. And the entertainment industry (including sports) has forever elevated pay beyond that of the common man. There are kids younger than high school making more than people have in their entire life in music, acting, and now through social media/You Tubers/Tik Tokers.

Well, for me, it will be when I can no longer afford to support the program when the price for entry is supporting the 7-figure "salaries" of a bunch of kids whose only differentiator between NU, OhSU, USC, and UTEP is the size of the NIL deal. Take the "college spirit" out of the equation, and all you get is a lower level NFL feeder league. At that point, the general public won't be interested enough to pay for the product.

The Husker athletic department sent out an email this past week basically giving their blessing to the three Husker-related NIL collectives. That could maybe get the department caught up in a suit over failure to pay but I'm not a lawyer.
Contrast this with Iowa who are not sharing their donor information with the NIL groups supporting the football team. Its messy, but I don't see how the school would be held responsible for a contract between a student and someone else. The entire point of NIL is that college students/athletes are free to make contracts with 3rd parties as much as they can command in the free market. The universities aren't part of these agreements.

Well, for me, it will be when I can no longer afford to support the program when the price for entry is supporting the 7-figure "salaries" of a bunch of kids whose only differentiator between NU, OhSU, USC, and UTEP is the size of the NIL deal. Take the "college spirit" out of the equation, and all you get is a lower level NFL feeder league. At that point, the general public won't be interested enough to pay for the product.

The "college spirit" is already gone. I could argue it's long gone.

The collapse started when demand resulted in every game being televised, which brought in huge TV money -- many times more than 20+ years ago. That resulted in coaches making many times more. From a couple hundred thousand in 1990 to $5-10 million in 2023. That was the beginning of the end.

Scott Frost made $40 million for coaching Nebraska to a bunch of losses. No "college spirt" in that; it smells like the NFL.

Yes -- I agree -- as I said, the best way to kill the financial momentum of the sport is to stop spending money on it -- tickets, concessions, souvenirs, even just watching on TV to feed the advertisers -- that needs to stop. Whining about players making too much while still supporting the sport financially is counterproductive.

Reality is, there will likely be enough people with enough money to keep it going. The stadium will be a reduced capacity, and tickets will be much pricier before the end of this decade.

Fans pay big money for seat licenses and tickets to NFL games -- so why wouldn't they spend money for the college game which is already nothing like it was last century? The college spirit is dead. Sure, it'll weed out some income levels from attending, and the fan base will become increasingly corporate and white collar. Some fans decided that long ago. My grandparents gave up their long-time season tickets in the 90s when Bill Byrne jacked prices to allow for Nebraska to build the facilities necessary to compete in the increasingly costly sport. I know of quite a few others who did the same. The sport will continue to get more expensive, and more and more fans will be weeded out. Many fans were outpriced years ago.

I think some fans are grasping at a fantasy that college football is somehow still an amateur sport. It's already big business. That won't change. College football is much closer to the NFL than the game it was when Osborne was coaching. That goose won't die -- it's a different goose. The original goose died 20+ years ago. We seem okay with paying coaches tens of millions -- and the hundreds of millions needed to continually upgrade facilities -- again, a long ways from when I was a kid growing up in Nebraska.

Last edited:

As I've said before, the best way to kill the system is for you, me, and as many fans as possible to not spend another penny on the sport. Otherwise, we are just feeding the monster. Fans make it happen.
Great idea, lead by example... you first, I'll follow.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back