• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Florida Iguana Hunting

Sodbuster

Recruit
5 Year Member
A coworker of mine is spending part of his two weeks off in south Florida hunting Iguanas. Apparently the critters have overrun neighborhoods and have become a general nuisance. No limit or license required; the only rule is you have to kill them humanely. So since they can't be obliterated with a 375 H&H mag, he's going to use a blow gun. Maybe some of the Florida H-Maxers know more about this? At any rate, my buddy intends to have fun with it. In addition to a crap ton of Iguana jerky, he's going to make matching Iguana skin jacket, shoes, and bowler hat - complete with the spikes across the top of the hat. I'm envious, the whole thing sounds like a hoot.

I've read when they get the rare cold spells in Florida the iguanas will fall out of the trees as their metabolism slows down and they enter a catatonic state.

I've read when they get the rare cold spells in Florida the iguanas will fall out of the trees as their metabolism slows down and they enter a catatonic state.
Heck, all you’d need then is a fish bat. Smack em a good one on the head and toss em in the game bag.

Will have to make him an Iguana claw bottle opener too. No respectable machine shop themed bar & grill would be complete without one.

If none of you have seen these little dinosaurs, you would simply be amazed at how fast they can scamper away, hit the waterways, and just blast away from you. It's quite the sight to see actually.

Last edited:
Sounds like me at a tailgate a couple years ago...

tailgate.jpg

I hunted one by accident last summer. I was golfing the Sanibel Island course and hit one with a golf ball. He took off like a rocket. There were quite a few on the course. There was also a big gator sunning himself near the course. I skipped that hole.

If none of you have seen these little dinosaurs, you would simply be amazed at how fast they can scamper away, hit the waterways, and just blast away from you. It's quite the sight to see actually.
Do you think anyone has a chance of killing one of those critters with a blow gun? Maybe a pellet gun would be a better choice?

Do you think anyone has a chance of killing one of those critters with a blow gun? Maybe a pellet gun would be a better choice?
Oh definitely both actually. You just can't walk right up on them, they spook and book it. Their colorings are quite interesting too.... green, orange, other colors to be determined. But yes, a blow gun and a BB/Pellet gun could be quite effective. They do tend to stay put until spooked or threatened.

Oh definitely both actually. You just can't walk right up on them, they spook and book it. Their colorings are quite interesting too.... green, orange, other colors to be determined. But yes, a blow gun and a BB/Pellet gun could be quite effective. They do tend to stay put until spooked or threatened.
Thanks. The guy that’s heading down there has hunted all over the world. I’m sure he will do what it takes to get in position for a clean kill. Can’t wait for the pictures and stories.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back