• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Floor It.

I'll respond just for clarity.

The goal of the original post - the exhortation soliloquy (primarily to myself) was to see if HCSF and I were tracking similarly regarding how to achieve the best outcome in a difficult situation. We were. And we are.

Note that the OP was written before final decisions were made regarding the season. NU had no trump cards to play but they could carve a path of independence that differentiates HCSF and NU from the rest of the pack. Precisely what he did together with Moos et. al.

He has indeed handled this exactly how I had hoped he would. My follow up posts to the OP ( again, mostly to myself) was to track him as if I were guiding his mindset (a fun game for me).

He won the skirmish. There is no pushing the envelope into absurd territory. Rather HCSF basically set his line in the sand that NU was not to be trifled with - regardless of our newness to the Conference.

There are battles that remain and the key will be to maintain separation and differentiation - to break the frame of standard thought and explore what can be done going forward. Lot of creative ideas yet to be discovered.

We could use a few more "manbearpigs."

No offense, but the OP sounds like the middle management guy who keeps on pressing the board while already exhausting his trump cards. Know when you've maximized your hand and take the W for whatever it's worth. Pressing into a no-win situation for pride or otherwise has ended many a career. Risk/Reward. There is no win for Frost or NU, unless wishing for a return to the Big12 - the $20M+/year for the University difference, and giving back the 30 spots gained in academic standing over the past 4 years.

Frost has done perfectly to this point. He's made his case. He's appealed to recruits and parents. He's galvanized the fans. He's proved to local businesses he understands his role in Nebraska economy. He's shown the B1G we can't be the forgotten suburb on the western front. He won the battle, NU lost the war. A war they were never going to win. Take the small W and get to work on what comes next. Then, win that battle.
Hang on Kemosabe, things are about to get real.

Once again.

Put your foot on the pedal....and drive this bast#*d .....

Your energy and commitment along with the others (Nebraska et. al. in the Big Ten) will pummel obstacles in your way.

Everybody up and down the continuum has their role.

Lead. Be clear. No distractions - diversions.

Amazing, but not surprising.

"Theriously guys, I totally know manbearpig is real, why dont you believe me!!!!"

10423870-A9DA-42D4-AC0C-C1A5B8B744A3.png

HCSF has the ability to lead the NCAA out of the football wilderness - not just NU. Together with the NU Admin., if they will keep their foot on the pedal and drive the narrative forward, they will have done the country a service, let alone the State of Nebraska and all related concerns.

I won't extol the virtues of Frost in this post (I have at times been a harsh critic) except to posit he is very bright, an excellent communicator and sees a much larger picture. Nor do I have any interest in engaging the ongoing arguments on both sides for playing or not playing football. Everyone here has done a great deal of work/thinking in that area. Thank you for that - a lot of bright folks here on this board in addition to being at times ridiculously funny. My personal perspective doesn't matter except I'm no longer sure what questions we are asking and what specific problem we are actually trying to solve. No one wants sickness/death/longterm effects or transmissibility or poor and unnecessary risk-taking. What are we actually accomplishing by shutting our society down and what are the downsides of these actions - i.e. the cost/benefit ratios in dollar and non-dollar terms?

We are currently paying a very heavy price knowing full well this virus will never be completely eliminated and/or others will be sure to follow. I get all the arguments so this isn't a rehash thread. We need some perspective regardless of which side we fall on in the debate.

We cannot hide. We cannot live in fear. We cannot live remotely.

Life is for the living.

It's attributed to Goethe, but he didn't say it. It's a favorite of mine and a paraphrase:

"Be bold and might forces will come to your aid."

HCSF has a tight grip now. He's never not been bold.

The Nebraska football program has turned a corner and you can see and hear it from his perspective and the comments of the players. It may not translate immediately into W's and L's, but after watching the catastrophe of the last few years, I think we're on our way.

Floor it....
Thank you Gabby Johnson.

The important thing to do was to force the issue, which is why you have to floor it until you get to the point where we are now.

HCSF initially in his very first comments specified without condition but in a very low-key manner the economic devastation that was about to occur with the decision. You can see the ramifications for yourself.
There was no way the initial decision to cancel would stand. While there are other secondary and tertiary consequences that are not to be minimized, the primary issue was money - it always is.

I had and have no interest in entering the fray argumentatively. I do know the academic world inside and out (probably like a few others here) and I know the world of entrepreneurship - I have built successful companies from scratch.

I was asked to run for office repeatedly and declined because I can't stand the BS. You can't find more BS per capita than in academic institutions (i.e. Big Ten conference, etc.)

I applaud HCSF, Bill Moos and the way the NU team has handled this fracas. It won't be by their hand specifically, but the bureaucratic jugular is about to be slit wide open.

Watch.

The important thing to do was to force the issue, which is why you have to floor it until you get to the point where we are now.

HCSF initially in his very first comments specified without condition but in a very low-key manner the economic devastation that was about to occur with the decision. You can see the ramifications for yourself.
There was no way the initial decision to cancel would stand. While there are other secondary and tertiary consequences that are not to be minimized, the primary issue was money - it always is.

I had and have no interest in entering the fray argumentatively. I do know the academic world inside and out (probably like a few others here) and I know the world of entrepreneurship - I have built successful companies from scratch.

I was asked to run for office repeatedly and declined because I can't stand the BS. You can't find more BS per capita than in academic institutions (i.e. Big Ten conference, etc.)

I applaud HCSF, Bill Moos and the way the NU team has handled this fracas. It won't be by their hand specifically, but the bureaucratic jugular is about to be slit wide open.

Watch.

It's bleed out time.

This was a no-brainer. Just a matter of how much time it took.

No time to take your foot off the pedal. There are going to be the whining nay-sayers and the erudite philosophers with their strenuous objections looking for every excuse to reverse the decision.

You put ten academicians in a room and they'll have ten different positions.
Athletic Directors have no direct power nor do Head Coaches in cases like this.
Conference Commissioners are the frontmen/women often hung out to dry.
The Presidents, Chancellors, Regents (whatever their University calls them ) are the public face of the decisions but they are directly responsive to $ and politics.

HCSF nailed it from the beginning. Bill Moos was his compatriot in arms. The University of Nebraska had it right all along. Relentless pressure is an amazing thing.

We don't take a back seat to anyone and the rest of the athletic world knows it.

It's a new day.

Now, go win some dam* football games and quit fooling around.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back