• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fleck Lessons?

I can't stand the guy, but he's got a method and he runs it . . . and seems to be a "do it my way or I'll find someone who will" coach. And he at least gets hardnosed effort out of his guys to a high degree. You think Jaimes and Farniok would be starting under Fleck this far into a season the way they've played? Not a chance.

There's too much "we keep waiting for them to get it" going on right now with the starters. Time for some dudes to sit and if you don't have guys itching to come in with their hair on fire then we have even bigger problems.
Frost spoke to this after the game. If guys aren't getting it, then he's going to play the guys who do. I'm sure he's saying this with mixed emotions, since apparently the guys with "want to" aren't ready for big boy football yet. We just don't have the depth to get too crazy with benching starters -- unless we want to go completely back to square one, a la 0-6.

I pointed this out last night. Sometimes, a group of 18-24 year olds may need a fire lit under their butts. Riley was too Mr. Rogers and Bo was a little too much the other direction.

Frost is showing too much Riley and not enough Bo and players may be coming onto the field a little too nonchalant. There is no sense of urgency. Late in the game, the team started playing like scoring was important to them, presumably because they wanted to avoid a shutout, and they started moving the ball. They were playing “all-out” and having some success.

Whether it is other players, or coaches, someone better start lighting fires under these players to make them realize that less than 100% effort on every play is not acceptable and won’t cut it in the B1G.

Some good points.

There is no need to coddle these kids. There is also no need to create the 'Us against them' mentality Bo did. Set expectations and demand people work toward them. Maybe Frost has done just that and the kids he's got on the roster right now aren't capable of more. I don't believe that, but I have also seen exactly zero practices. Sometimes a younger kid comes in and plays well and things click. Sullivan had some moments earlier in the year. Nelson is a kid I think could help out here and there. Where is Wildeman in his recovery process? He's young, but maybe a young kid with a higher motor and some fire in his ass might change the dynamic. All I know for sure is watching last night was tough. Callahan and Riley tough and I'm kind of over that.

MR responded to his critics by firing coaches, and I hated to see that. People pounding on the gates with their torches and pitchforks should not dictate a head coach's decisions. Scott is loyal, as was Dr. Tom. He'll know when changes are needed, and I don't see it coming anytime soon, nor should it.

If he feels everyone is doing their job and a change won't improve the team, I 100% agree. That said, something is wrong that requires a change in some form or fashion, be it depth chart, coaching, mindset, play calling, whatever. That was just really bad football.

If he feels everyone is doing their job and a change won't improve the team, I 100% agree. That said, something is wrong that requires a change in some form or fashion, be it depth chart, coaching, mindset, play calling, whatever. That was just really bad football.
A vicious beating of an equipment manager in front of everyone before the next practice. That'll learn 'em.

A vicious beating of an equipment manager in front of everyone before the next practice. That'll learn 'em.

Come to think of it, equipment was the only area last night I didn't see issues with.

Maybe promote him/her?

This has been missing from Nebraska's sidelines for a while. Losing your crap isn't a good look, but coaching with fire and demanding fire from your players isn't a bad thing. Frost isn't fiery like that, nor was Osborne, but someone on this staff has to get everyone's attention or we're going to wallow in this crap for a while.

Osborne didn't need to be fiery, as he always developed leaders on the field that took care of that.

Frost lacks both fire and leaders.

Osborne didn't need to be fiery, as he always developed leaders on the field that took care of that.

Frost lacks both fire and leaders.

He did have guys on staff who could develop a case of the red ass in a hurry though. I heard more than a few stories about Charlie McBride going postal. It can't be all beer and skittles when you don't do your job, IMO, and without leaders on the roster you have to lead as a staff. I don't know who's got that in them, but I think we're about to find out.

Like him or hate him, Fleck is a heckuva coach and a winner.

In every season as head coach at Western Michigan and then Minnesota, his team has equaled or bettered the W-L record of the prior season. He knows how to build a program and what it takes to win in the colder, northern climates. Western Michigan: 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, 13-1. Minnesota: 5-7, 7-6, 6-0.

Like him or hate him, Fleck is a heckuva coach and a winner.

In every season as head coach at Western Michigan and then Minnesota, his team has equaled or bettered the W-L record of the prior season. He knows how to build a program and what it takes to win in the colder, northern climates. Western Michigan: 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, 13-1. Minnesota: 5-7, 7-6, 6-0.

He's a knob, but the results can't be argued.

The only things in question are can he take a team to the next level (conference championships and CF playoff) and is his shtick sustainable. It's different with college kids because they're all gone every four or five years anyway, but I don't know how long he can do what he does before he has to move on.

He's a knob, but the results can't be argued.

The only things in question are can he take a team to the next level (conference championships and CF playoff) and is his shtick sustainable. It's different with college kids because they're all gone every four or five years anyway, but I don't know how long he can do what he does before he has to move on.

I still think there's quite a few more levels to be achieved without worrying about conference titles -- and especially CFP. If Minnesota is expecting postseason playoffs, they may as well fold up the tent on the program now. I think if Minnesota can become one of the best teams in the West on a fairly consistent basis, that should sustain any coach at the program for a long time.

I guess I'm not sure what is wrong with his shtick and why it would grow old. Do his players not like playing for him? Does his staff not like coaching with him?

I still think there's quite a few more levels to be achieved without worrying about conference titles -- and especially CFP. If Minnesota is expecting postseason playoffs, they may as well fold up the tent on the program now. I think if Minnesota can become one of the best teams in the West on a fairly consistent basis, that should sustain any coach at the program for a long time.

I guess I'm not sure what is wrong with his shtick and why it would grow old. Do his players not like playing for him? Does his staff not like coaching with him?

He's a 'Rah, Rah' guy. That usually burns out. Kids start tuning it out. Of course if you're winning, it's easier to take.

I think the next level is being Wisconsin or Iowa which means contending for the West and the B1G. CFP isn't that far off when you start winning conference titles. If he ends up being another Kirk Ferentz who just finds ways to win 8-10 games a year, Minnesota will name a building after him.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back