• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Five Once-Great Programs that are no Longer Feared

Though I think Tennessee got screwed when the refs ruled the RB had his momentum stopped in what would have been a TD in OT. And instead that was 4th down. That was a wild game.

Yeah, I watched it (live). Clear cut TD in replay but later on, Brown and DB guy during whistle, relax thus not even close 100% toughness (tackling technique). Either way, Boilers won according to two Purdue guys.

After controversy play, Heupel was pretty much level mind. Just the opposite ...... Bo Pelini

It doesn't matter to me who else in on the list. The fact that we're on it, and most likely will remain on it, makes me sad.

Cannot argue with any of them. It makes me smile Ped St is there. Absolutely delusional fan base. Writer missed TN, Texa$ and F$U too. Auburn did not really win a Natty. $cam was paid.

Youi know where I am coming from....sad.

Great well researched article…3-8 record he says. qualty journalism has fallen further.

missing, Minnesota , Michigan, Yale, I could go on….history says it runs in cycles

A noble concept. It hasn't worked so well for us since joining the Big 10 though. Perhaps not the best approach for a struggling program trying to rebuild.
Why would it not be the best approach?

To me it is the best. It allows the couch to see the needs of the team and adjust. Allows the coaches to see what is not working against the better teams and adjust

Are they building a teams in hopes of being middle of the pack or are they building a team to compete with the best.

Year five! Should the coaches not be competing with the best?

Play the best to be the best.

Why would it not be the best approach?

To me it is the best. It allows the couch to see the needs of the team and adjust. Allows the coaches to see what is not working against the better teams and adjust

Are they building a teams in hopes of being middle of the pack or are they building a team to compete with the best.

Year five! Should the coaches not be competing with the best?

Play the best to be the best.
Can you point to an example of a program that was struggling and successfully overcame that by scheduling more difficult opponents? It’s like the antithesis of the Snyder approach. I thought maybe Notre Dame could be an example here, but when I try to find a specific example I can’t see one.

The Nebraska crossovers were good for TV ratings and conference media value. They were unfair for competitive balance. If Nebraska was dominating the division, it would be no big deal. I’d prefer it that way. But for a group of players who don’t know how to win, this isn’t the way you teach them.

I think the single most impressive positive thing Frost’s staffs have done is keeping a disappointed team with a losing record engaged and giving great effort late at the end of a season. That trait is laudable, but I’d just as soon never see it again.

Last edited:

Can you point to an example of a program that was struggling and successfully overcame that by scheduling more difficult opponents? It’s like the antithesis of the Snyder approach. I thought maybe Notre Dame could be an example here, but when I try to find a specific example I can’t see one.

The Nebraska crossovers were good for TV ratings and conference media value. They were unfair for competitive balance. If Nebraska was dominating the division, it would be no big deal. I’d prefer it that way. But for a group of players who don’t know how to win, this isn’t the way you teach them.

I think the single most impressive positive thing Frost’s staffs have done is keeping a disappointed team with a losing record engaged and giving great effort late at the end of a season. That trait is laudable, but I’d just as soon never see it again.
1980 USA hockey team. Herb Brooks was a master of taking a team and scheduling NHL teams European teams. Why? He knew it was a teaching moment, he also said it was for the team to not accept loss but to fight through it

Days before the Olympics began he set up a game with Russia He knew his team would lose but. It gave the team to see the giant in person. While players on the bench Herb would point out the flaws, make fun of their looks, it was a teaching moment

The rest is history. He played the best to be the best. In fact World Champion

1980 USA hockey team. Herb Brooks was a master of taking a team and scheduling NHL teams European teams. Why? He knew it was a teaching moment, he also said it was for the team to not accept loss but to fight through it

Days before the Olympics began he set up a game with Russia He knew his team would lose but. It gave the team to see the giant in person. While players on the bench Herb would point out the flaws, make fun of their looks, it was a teaching moment

You could do that with 10 other teams and that wouldn't work. He had the right group of players to coach them like that.

As a hardcore hockey fan, I'm very familiar with this history. I don't think an exhibition schedule BEFORE the 'real games' is a very good parallel to a college football season. Maybe you could argue that the Oklahoma game is a little like the hockey example, if you put all the weight on the conference schedule. ? What you point out is a lot more like a form of practice that is not available in college football.

Its interesting that your example even includes game(s) the coach knew the team would lose. Not sure you can do that in football.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back