• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fishing

Do u live there now ?.... thats paradise to me... winters are a bit tough for us over 55 guys
Yep, was sort of chuckling about texass earlier.
Coldest Ive seen here, I never saw, thermometers wouldnt go that low,was told 56 below.
Seen a lot of 30belows, but as they say in the desert, its a dry cold ;)

Last edited:

Pops is correct - "walleye, best fish ever" !! Western NE, starting to find a few walleye now, but did catch 18 nice crappie the last 2 times we were on the water (this past week).

Yes sir I want the elusive Musky
I was bass fishing in my float tube one day in Cochran's lake when I was younger and hooked into a 38" muskie. It took me for a nice ride to the middle of the lake before I finally landed him. I couldn't believe that my line held up a when that monster finally flashed as I brought him closer. I will always remember that one!

Pops is correct - "walleye, best fish ever" !! Western NE, starting to find a few walleye now, but did catch 18 nice crappie the last 2 times we were on the water (this past week).
Where in Western Nebraska? We own some private sandpit off the North Platte River that have some pretty good walleyes.

25" is my biggest, didn't keep her. We return the larger fish, mostly females so it's a benefit I hope to keep those large egg creators in the lakes. Best eating walleye for us are the 18"-20" range. Going to Flaming Gorge the end of April for some different views, different water and other fish species.

Western NE - Winters Creek Lake, Lake Minatare and Lake Whitney. Good walleye fishing will also begin soon at Glendo Reservoir in WY as well. On the water and enjoying every day as much as possible !
Grew up in Scottsbluff, so I'm familiar with all 3. My grandpa took me and 2 of my cousins out on his boat to catch walleye at Lake Minatare one time. All 3 of the kids hooked what turned out to be a 12 ponder. All three of us lost him. Grandpa finally hooked and landed the same fish that the kids just lost, and all 3 of our hooks were still in its mouth.

while walleyes are nice, most of are kinda girly on the end of the line, there is no fight, or minimum fight, aka... a 16 inch Lg mouth fights better than a 3 lb walleye usually. Walleye and perch are the best tasting.... and there is no question about that one.

For just plain catch and release fun... Northerns, & Smallies are #1, with Largemouth #2 I have caught plenty of Muskies, and some big ones, but the infrequency of the catch keeps me from listing them higher. My fishing opportunities are fewer now, so I target Northerns and Bass when I can go.

Dont get me wrong... Id go walleye fishing tmrw morn if I could.

while walleyes are nice, most of are kinda girly on the end of the line, there is no fight, or minimum fight, aka... a 16 inch Lg mouth fights better than a 3 lb walleye usually. Walleye and perch are the best tasting.... and there is no question about that one.

For just plain catch and release fun... Northerns, & Smallies are #1, with Largemouth #2 I have caught plenty of Muskies, and some big ones, but the infrequency of the catch keeps me from listing them higher. My fishing opportunities are fewer now, so I target Northerns and Bass when I can go.

Dont get me wrong... Id go walleye fishing tmrw morn if I could.
I can catch northern every day if I chose to, likely bass as well.

But to me?
Get a 1 pound plus bluegill on the line, and those 3 pound northerns just dont cut it, same for bass of that weight.
But,like muskie, few and far in between

I lived near the Mississippi river awhiles back, would wade out a bit and catch smallies, in the river, they can be extra fun

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back