• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fishing season

Smoker

Ed Force One
10 Year Member
received_277157149960127.jpeg
received_667064480778330.jpeg

@ksuhusker. And his crew landed these last night, 105 of them from 12" to 17" on Milford lake.

Thanks @Smoker, what a night and a blast to boot. White body, chartreuse tails, pink, reds all worked. Fish were in a varying ranges from 12' all the way up to 5'. Strange part was we quit at about 9 or so thinking we had a 3 man limit, not quite but even though it was dark they were still thumping.

Thanks @Smoker, what a night and a blast to boot. White body, chartreuse tails, pink, reds all worked. Fish were in a varying ranges from 12' all the way up to 5'. Strange part was we quit at about 9 or so thinking we had a 3 man limit, not quite but even though it was dark they were still thumping.
If my quick google search is correct, is the crappie limit in Kansas 50? If so, wow. In Minnesota where I fish it is 10.

I remember 40 years ago when I had moved to Lincoln we would hit Branched Oak about this time of year, right as it was getting warmer and the crappie were in spawn and just hit like hell, we'd limit out in less than a half hour. The water was fairly clear and you could watch them chase the minnows.

I remember 40 years ago when I had moved to Lincoln we would hit Branched Oak about this time of year, right as it was getting warmer and the crappie were in spawn and just hit like hell, we'd limit out in less than a half hour. The water was fairly clear and you could watch them chase the minnows.

Good old days. That has deteriorated significantly. Particularly the water clarity.

I have a scar on the back of my head from Branched Oak (happened over 40 years ago). Are there still rocks on the bank that are tough to navigate in the dark?

The biggest Crappie I ever caught(not the heaviest or weighing the most, just big) was this strange anomaly of a fish. I was about 15 and a couple of friends and me were going between strip pits and and fishing in these creeks along the way. One particularly large strip pit had this stream that flowed down to another strip pit and although the water was murky, I cast my line anyway and felt a slight tug, thinking I snagged some brush or whatever, I continued to reel my lure in with no resistance. I pulled my lure up out of the water, and this thing was as big as a dinner plate(the fins would have been sticking out well over the plate). I start laughing and my buddy comes over and he's like, "WOW!" I bet this thing didn't weigh more than a pound and a half, if that much. It was so thin, I wasn't even sure it was a Crappie, but we all decided, based on colorings and whatnot that it was. I put it back in the creek as we were just fishing C&R that morning.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back