• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

First two weekend takeaways

Well, getting swept by Oregon State was disappointing. Especially letting one of them get away from us. I actually left this weekend pretty encouraged tho. I told people the first 4 weekends were going to be tough on us. With how many new players we are going to be relying on, I like where we will be come conference time. My highlights:

Spencer Schwellenbach - After a tough opening weekend, he played very well against the defending national champions. I like him as our leadoff hitter. Thank you to the B1G for lifting scholarship restrictions a bit so we can grab this kid.

Angelo Altavilla - Hitting over .300 so far, hope he can keep it up, we will need him.

Mojo Hagge and Jaxon Hallmark - Not a bad duo in the outfield. Then you have Palensky (another first year player) leading our team in hitting right now. Outifeld once Hagge comes back looking to assert itself.

Joe Acker is quietly putting together a nice resume for himself to get some PT.

Perry and Gomes - as suspected may not quite be ready for weekend rotation spots. But those two elite freshmen should be able to win us plenty of games mid-week.

Do Carter Cross, Blake Petersen, and Mike Addante deserve some more looks? In limited at-bats, they have some decent numbers.

Waldron brothers - Are any of them going to get a starting role? Or are they our shut down bullpen guys?

Schanaman - is proving to come in and be a stopper for us. We will need a guy like that.

Cam Chick and Luke Roskam - one is a veteran, the other a first year player. Roskam will hit out of his funk in my opinion, but Chick is showing early struggles.

Summary
It's only the second weekend, but I like where we are. I think we are going to go 1-2 next weekend but if we can get a 2-1 weekend, that would be unbelievable. Can't go 0-3. With how many young guys we are going to rely on, these early games are giving them a taste of what is needed to be elite. But playing this 4 game series against Oregon State. That is going to pay off big time when it comes conference play.

I've actually been mildly impressed by the offense.

Pitchers have been hit or miss, but in general aren't throwing enough strikes.

If we make a run this year, I feel like it will be because the big ten has a down year more than because we've radically improved. However, the year is young.

GBR

I've actually been mildly impressed by the offense.

Pitchers have been hit or miss, but in general aren't throwing enough strikes.

If we make a run this year, I feel like it will be because the big ten has a down year more than because we've radically improved. However, the year is young.

GBR
Mildly impressed with the offense is a good way to put it. There's about 6 guys that are looking good to start out. If Roskam gets to where he expects to be, that takes us to 7. We can find two more bats out of the 5 or 6 that are jockeying for a spot.

Pitching has been really sporadic. I kind of expected that with playing Oregon State for 4 games and pitch counts limiting guys. Waldron probably would have been left in during the second game if not for it being February still.

I think the B1G has 2 strong teams and the rest are pretty meh. I think we will surprise a lot of people this year. Schanaman, Palensky, Gomes, Perry, Chick, Peterson... those guys are only going to get better.

Team Batting Ave:
1) NM ST .447 :wow:
23) TTech .317
33) OSU .311
80) NU .283
90) Miss St .279
110) Sam Houston .269
195) UCR .236

Last edited:
Team ERA:

1) Tenn 0.57
5) Mich 1.17 :wow:
9) Miss St 1.69
27) OSU 2.25
115) SHST 4.17
170) TTECH 5.17
218) NU 6.45

Well, getting swept by Oregon State was disappointing. Especially letting one of them get away from us. I actually left this weekend pretty encouraged tho. I told people the first 4 weekends were going to be tough on us. With how many new players we are going to be relying on, I like where we will be come conference time. My highlights:

Spencer Schwellenbach - After a tough opening weekend, he played very well against the defending national champions. I like him as our leadoff hitter. Thank you to the B1G for lifting scholarship restrictions a bit so we can grab this kid.

Angelo Altavilla - Hitting over .300 so far, hope he can keep it up, we will need him.

Mojo Hagge and Jaxon Hallmark - Not a bad duo in the outfield. Then you have Palensky (another first year player) leading our team in hitting right now. Outifeld once Hagge comes back looking to assert itself.

Joe Acker is quietly putting together a nice resume for himself to get some PT.

Perry and Gomes - as suspected may not quite be ready for weekend rotation spots. But those two elite freshmen should be able to win us plenty of games mid-week.

Do Carter Cross, Blake Petersen, and Mike Addante deserve some more looks? In limited at-bats, they have some decent numbers.

Waldron brothers - Are any of them going to get a starting role? Or are they our shut down bullpen guys?

Schanaman - is proving to come in and be a stopper for us. We will need a guy like that.

Cam Chick and Luke Roskam - one is a veteran, the other a first year player. Roskam will hit out of his funk in my opinion, but Chick is showing early struggles.

Summary
It's only the second weekend, but I like where we are. I think we are going to go 1-2 next weekend but if we can get a 2-1 weekend, that would be unbelievable. Can't go 0-3. With how many young guys we are going to rely on, these early games are giving them a taste of what is needed to be elite. But playing this 4 game series against Oregon State. That is going to pay off big time when it comes conference play.

Good analysis......Schwellenbach opens season with 7 game hitting streak.....offense needs those top 6 or 7 to have "career years" to carry the load........power will hopefully emerge.....Roskam and Palensky key to that..............Despite OSU sweep, Pitching in much better shape for season......Luensmann, Curry, Eddins, and Waldron's as anchors with Fisher and Palkert needed for depth. Freshman arms will help!........have not heard update on Henwood injury?

Good analysis......Schwellenbach opens season with 7 game hitting streak.....offense needs those top 6 or 7 to have "career years" to carry the load........power will hopefully emerge.....Roskam and Palensky key to that..............Despite OSU sweep, Pitching in much better shape for season......Luensmann, Curry, Eddins, and Waldron's as anchors with Fisher and Palkert needed for depth. Freshman arms will help!........have not heard update on Henwood injury?
Sounds like Henwood is out for awhile. Roskam has a broken finger.

Waldron getting a weekend start is cool to see.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back