• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fire Bill Moos

Are you saying that 16 men's teams together lost the $1.028 mil? If so, then did the remainder of the 60'ish men's teams operate at a profit? There are certainly more than 16 men's and seven women's hockey teams in the NCAA. The report that you are citing is not complete.

https://www.uscho.com/standings/division-i-men/
The report is looking at schools in the FBS subdivision ... so they're cross-section is schools that play in the football bowl subdivision. So teams like Minnesota Mankato, North Dakota, Saint Cloud State, Minnesota Duluth ... are left out of this analysis ... yes it is incomplete.

BUT this report DOES include Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, Michigan State, Boston College, Ohio State ... if you add in the non-FBS schools the numbers MIGHT be different but the 16 schools they are including are not chop liver and if the collection of those schools are losing money I'm not sure adding the schools not included will reach the different result.

Ultimate conclusion IMO is still the same ... men's hockey collectively loses SOME money and women's hockey collectively lose ALOT of money.

Last edited:
But so does pretty much every other sport except football.....
And basketball.

The thread discussion is whether NU should be adding men's hockey to its portfolio.

My point is why add another sport that at best is a break-even sport financially, that'll be competing with UNO for resources and athletes ... and very likely would have to add women's hockey which will be a true money pit.

At NU ... football, men's basketball and women's volleyball make money. Everything else loses money is some shape or form. NU balances its budget, doesn't take any student fees and in fact returns scholarships back to the student body. It reinvests in its two primary sports. Why deviate from a successful strategy?

And basketball.

The thread discussion is whether NU should be adding men's hockey to its portfolio.

My point is why add another sport that at best is a break-even sport financially, that'll be competing with UNO for resources and athletes ... and very likely would have to add women's hockey which will be a true money pit.

At NU ... football, men's basketball and women's volleyball make money. Everything else loses money is some shape or form. NU balances its budget, doesn't take any student fees and in fact returns scholarships back to the student body. It reinvests in its two primary sports. Why deviate from a successful strategy?
NU should get rid of the dart team. Problem solved

Europe model with bigger ice you better be able to skate. You tie up 2 3 players on the boards. It’s a break away.

I played center and wing. Pure hockey where you can just skate and feel the poetry of the game form around you is amazing

I needed the smaller ice and ability to be physical of I’d never have played. Completely agree with what you’re saying except it doesn’t apply to my skill level.

But so does pretty much every other sport except football.....
Not at UNL. https://www.omaha.com/huskers/net-g...cle_2637c720-c903-515d-8aaf-c86c2c3352a0.html
Actually of the 20 varsity sports UNL competes in 3 are revenue generating. sounds bad right? Well not that bad. of the 17 other sports, only 7 lost more than a million and only 2 lost more than 2 million. Womens track and Womens basketball. An argument could be made that although Women's Track is among our biggest losers financially that it also has created two of our more well known athletes internationally. Scott's Mom who was an olympian and Merlene Ottey known around the world as Miss Bronze. So from a prestige point it does help pay it's way.

According to this report https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA-WSI.pdf a new Womens hockey team starting up can expect to lose 2.07 million a year. According to the NCAA an average mens hockey team loses between 6 and 7 hundred thousand a year. So you are talking about adding nearly 3 million more in losses to please very few fans. I will just say that I am glad Moos is the AD not you. We should add sports that have a chance of breaking even. not sports that have almost no chance.

And basketball.

My point is why add another sport that at best is a break-even sport financially, that'll be competing with UNO for resources and athletes ... and very likely would have
I needed the smaller ice and ability to be physical of I’d never have played. Completely agree with what you’re saying except it doesn’t apply to my skill level.
every team needs a goon. Just make to to put a razors edge on the stick. Go for right behind the skate top in the back with no protection. Send him to the locker room

Last edited:

Not at UNL. https://www.omaha.com/huskers/net-g...cle_2637c720-c903-515d-8aaf-c86c2c3352a0.html
Actually of the 20 varsity sports UNL competes in 3 are revenue generating. sounds bad right? Well not that bad. of the 17 other sports, only 7 lost more than a million and only 2 lost more than 2 million. Womens track and Womens basketball. An argument could be made that although Women's Track is among our biggest losers financially that it also has created two of our more well known athletes internationally. Scott's Mom who was an olympian and Merlene Ottey known around the world as Miss Bronze. So from a prestige point it does help pay it's way.

According to this report https://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/NCAA-WSI.pdf a new Womens hockey team starting up can expect to lose 2.07 million a year. According to the NCAA an average mens hockey team loses between 6 and 7 hundred thousand a year. So you are talking about adding nearly 3 million more in losses to please very few fans. I will just say that I am glad Moos is the AD not you. We should add sports that have a chance of breaking even. not sports that have almost no chance.
like the rifle team?

OSU and Penn state added hockey team because the wanted to compete in the BIG.

Terry Pegula gave Penn State 100 million for them to add a hockey team. You keep talking of losses yet every school the alumni offset those losses with huge donations. If Moos can’t figure that out maybe he should find a job he does know

Last edited:
like the rifle team?

OSU and Penn state added hockey team because the wanted to compete in the BIG.

Terry Pegula gave Penn State 100 million for them to add a hockey team. You keep talking of losses yet every school the alumni offset those losses with huge donations. If Moos can’t figure that out maybe he should find a job he does know
Most other schools also pay for those losses by use of student fees. Nebraska has NEVER done that and UNL has actually created revenue for the educational side of the school. Like I said you are free to give Bill $100 Mil to start a hockey team. I am sure with your millions he would seriously consider it. If you do not have millions than it is a worthless topic.

Just curious, do you have a link to this agreement? I didn't know one was officially in place. Not trying to be a jerk by asking for a link, just interested in the subject...

Theses article don't talk so much about the handshake deal between UNO-UNL, but plenty of folks are sort of reading between the lines.

More of concern is that UNO also wanted to move their hockey team up to the Summit League in D-1. UNO dropped both wrestling and football. They cited financial concerns and truthfully, it's probably a bigger strain to be an independent in football at lower levels. They're not Notre Dame or BYU. Plus, they'd need to spend an extra $2M annually on football to compete in the lower levels of D-1, and the entire athletic budget is something like $1.3M.

Maverick football wasn't much to write home about - especially compared to UNO hockey - but wrestling got the raw deal. It's a big sport in the area (see: UNL, Iowa, ISU, etc) and there is plenty of talent. Further, they pulled the rug out on the wrestling team without any notice, after they had just won the D-2 National Championship. That's pretty screwed up any way you slice it.

In UNO keeps mismanaging their athletics, UNL should probably just add a hockey team. The Mavs will be bankrupt in a couple seasons at this rate.

Last edited:
Most other schools also pay for those losses by use of student fees. Nebraska has NEVER done that and UNL has actually created revenue for the educational side of the school. Like I said you are free to give Bill $100 Mil to start a hockey team. I am sure with your millions he would seriously consider it. If you do not have millions than it is a worthless topic.
not a worthless topic at all. NU can be know as just a football school. At the while the other schools join in on the fun.

Go Sioux
Go Gophers
Go UMD

If you have never been to the frozen 4 you are missing the best sporting event of all sports

not a worthless topic at all. NU can be know as just a football school. At the while the other schools join in on the fun.

Go Sioux
Go Gophers
Go UMD

If you have never been to the frozen 4 you are missing the best sporting event of all sports
I do not like hockey sam i am so the frozen four could give a damn

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back