• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

2020/21 MBB ROSTER

Red Don

Tiger
Staff member
10 Year Member

Husker commit
Filled the last scholly for this year it appears.

Glad you brought that up, @Boheet! :nod:

With the last scholarship filled, here is our roster for next year as it stands now. (Total 16)
(not original :Redface:, I found this elsewhere, but it seems worth repeating.)

Eligible players:
Thor Thorbjarnarson, 6'6 - Sr.
Kobe Webster, 6'0 - Sr.
Shamiel Stephenson, 6'6 - Jr.
Derrick Walker, 6'8 - Jr.
Teddy Allen, 6'5 - Jr.
Lat Mayen, 6'9 - Jr.
Akol Arop, 6'6 - So.
Yvan Ouedraogo, 6'7 - So.
Dalano Banton, 6'8 - So.
Eduardo Andre, 6'9 - Fr.
Jace Piatkowski, 6-3 - RS Fr.
Bret Porter, 6-5, - RS Fr.

Potentially eligible:
Kobe King, 6'4 - Jr. Update: Kobe King is Not coming to Nebraska)
Trey McGowens, 6'4 - Jr.

Sit-out transfer
Trevor Lakes, 6'7 - Sr.

Added:
Chris McGraw, 5-11 - So. Walk-on, Columbus, OH - HS teamate w/ Trey McGowens
Elijah Wood, 6-6, - Fr. (Hargrave MIlitary Academy (VA) reclassifying to 2020 fm 2021)

Last edited:
Glad you brought that up, @Boheet! :nod:

With the last scholarship filled, here is our roster for next year as it stands now. (Total 13)
(not original :Redface:, I found this elsewhere, but it seems worth repeating.)

Eligible players:
Thor Thorbjarnarson, 6'6 - Sr.
Kobe Webster, 6'0 - Sr.
Shamiel Stephenson, 6'6 - Jr.
Derrick Walker, 6'8 - Jr.
Teddy Allen, 6'5 - Jr.
Lat Mayen, 6'9 - Jr.
Akol Arop, 6'6 - So.
Yvan Ouedraogo, 6'7 - So.
Dalano Banton, 6'8 - So.
Eduardo Andre, 6'9 - Fr.

Potentially eligible:
Kobe King, 6'4 - Jr.
Trey McGowens, 6'4 - Jr.

Sit-out transfer
Trevor Lakes, 6'7 - Sr.
That's looks discouraging. No one over 6"9"? Two at 6-9 and one of those is a freshman? No returning guards with experience in the Big 10? (not counting on the "Potentially eligible"). One 'big' with returning experience in the Big 10? (if you call Yvan at 6'7" a big) Potentially, only 10 players eligible for the rotation? It feels like we are starting over, again. I want to be optimistic, but losing the rebounding battle is a recipe for losing the game. It just doesn't look like a Big 10 roster.

That's looks discouraging. No one over 6"9"? Two at 6-9 and one of those is a freshman? No returning guards with experience in the Big 10? (not counting on the "Potentially eligible"). One 'big' with returning experience in the Big 10? (if you call Yvan at 6'7" a big) Potentially, only 10 players eligible for the rotation? It feels like we are starting over, again. I want to be optimistic, but losing the rebounding battle is a recipe for losing the game. It just doesn't look like a Big 10 roster.

We pretty much are starting over which considering we won 7 games last year, that’s a good thing. As far as rebounding goes, you are right, it’s concerning. The good news is we will be a lot better rebounding team mainly because we got some big, beefy wings. Stephenson will help immensely in the glass. Allen will be an upgrade in that department. Banton’s length will help a lot from the outside. We will be deficient rebounding still in the post but Walker, although only a 6’8” post, is muscular and physical. Yvan won’t be 17 anymore either. Overall, I think we will be a much better rebounding team. We were dead last in the Big 10 in rebounding though, so even though we will improve, it’s not like we will be finishing in the top half of the league or anything.

We will be better overall at every position except for point guard. One could argue that we will even be better there considering how many times Cam Mack was suspended. We got a ways to go but I do see improvement. Hoiberg and Company do not recruit like a traditional program. They aren’t going to have oak tree posts and they aren’t looking for long-term development. They are looking to upgrade talent and recruit the best roster they can each year. It’s going to feel like we are starting over a lot. If a player isn’t going to be a significant contributor the following year, they are likely going to be moved on and replaced. There are a lot of Nebraska fans who aren’t going to like that. But right or wrong, that’s what this staff is going to do.

I don’t think McGowins will get eligible but King has a good chance. King will help give us that Big 10 experienced player and another big, physical wing.

Last edited:
Lol. Not a good take.

We pretty much are starting over which considering we won 7 games last year, that’s a good thing. As far as rebounding goes, you are right, it’s concerning. The good news is we will be a lot better rebounding team mainly because we got some big, beefy wings. Stephenson will help immensely in the glass. Allen will be an upgrade in that department. Banton’s length will help a lot from the outside. We will be deficient rebounding still in the post but Walker, although only a 6’8”, is muscular and physical. Yvan won’t be 17 anymore either. Overall, I think we will be a much better rebounding team. We were dead last in the Big 10 in rebounding though, so even though we will improve, it’s not like we will be finishing in the top half of the league or anything.

We will be better overall at every position except for point guard. One could argue that we will even be better there considering how many times Cam Mack was suspended. We got a ways to go but I do see improvement. Hoiberg and Company do not recruit like a traditional program. They aren’t going to have oak tree posts and they aren’t looking for long-term development. They are looking to upgrade talent and recruit the best roster they can each year. It’s going to feel like we are starting over a lot. If a player isn’t going to be a significant contributor the following year, they are likely going to be moved on and replaced. There are a lot of Nebraska fans who aren’t going to like that. But right or wrong, that’s what this staff is going to do.

I don’t think McGowins will get eligible but King has a good chance. King will help give us that Big 10 experienced player and another big, physical wing.
Great post.

Lol. Not a good take.

On the brighter side ;) , I found the following elsewhere.

Yvan Ouedraogo and Thorir Thorbjarnarson both have a year or more experience under HCFH and playing B1G ball
Dalano Banton, Shamiel Stevenson, and Derrick Walker all have a year under HCFH and are experienced collegiate athletes
Kobe Webster has a lot of experience
Teddy Allen is a hooper
Kobe King, if eligible, is experienced in high major bball and also in the B1Gsideside

I believe we have upgraded in nearly every position over the prior season's players.

Let me go out on a limb here and predict a finish in the top half of the B1G this season (if there is one ;))

The :Koolaid2: seems to be a particularly good vintage this year :Lol:

Last edited:
On the brighter side ;) , I found the following elsewhere.

I believe we have upgraded in nearly every position over the prior season's players.

Let me go out on a limb here and predict a finish in the top half of the B1G this season (if there is one ;))

The :Koolaid2: seems to be a particularly good vintage this year :Lol:
We have D1 players now. Should be too 7 in conference.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't think you will see a Fred Hoiberg roster with much in the way of a space eating 5, until he finds enough guys to play the style he wants. Then, and that's only a maybe, you may see a guy just to fill the big body role when we play teams with strong, offensive 5's. Playing without a big 5 isn't a giant disadvantage in most games. And for every 1 time you find yourself at a disadvantage trying to match a Luka Garza inside, you can have 3 times you gain the advantage pushing the ball forcing Garza to try to keep up with a 6'9" guy who runs like a small forward.

I appreciate we all think the B1G is a 'super conference', but it's talent level isn't greater than any other major conference. It's deeper in quality teams, but that's about the only major difference. Our guards aren't going to freeze up playing against B1G defenses. We aren't putting Jace and Charley out there, we are putting athletes who can match up well enough.

Last year Fred scrambled to get some of what he needs to play the way he's always played. Some stuck, some didn't, that's part of sports these days. I think it's telling that some of the guys we had the highest hopes for struggled the most. In Fred's offense, you have to be able to deliver, you have to be able to shoot with confidence. Our 'stars' fell short, and I think they realized they didn't have the goods to play the style he wants. Some are sticking because the fill a role, and they have the right mindset to develop areas they lack. A large chunk of the guys on this year's roster were on last year's as well, but they weren't eligible. They were however, practicing daily, showing the eligible players what they would be facing in the coming year. If you don't think that some of our guys who left did so because they knew they would have minutes cut, some substantially, then you need to consider that as a certainty.

As for rebounding, don't sell our perimeter players short, they are athletic, strong, and can be very active on the boards. We actually did a pretty solid job of rebounding last year, but our lack of depth would haunt us as our starters got tired. We don't lack depth this year. I also think you are missing the fact that a 17 year old pup averaged 6.5 rebounds a game, playing just about half a game. That's impressive.

Anyone have any insight on who might fill Kobe Kings spot?
Any thoughts the potential of adding LJ Figueroa? He led St John's in scoring last year. Maybe the Matt Abdelmassih connection.

Anyone have any insight on who might fill Kobe Kings spot?
Any thoughts the potential of adding LJ Figueroa? He led St John's in scoring last year. Maybe the Matt Abdelmassih connection.
Elijah Wood. Besides, Figueroa already committed to Oregon two weeks ago.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back