• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fiesta Bowl: Iowa State vs Oregon

He doesnt have any pressure to “contend consistently”. He just has to contend occasionally, and ISU is in as good of a position as any other team in P5 that isnt one of the “chosen” names that gets ‘automatic’ bids. Better position than NU currently, in fact, as Big12 is a much easier conference to win
Tell you what how about a gentlemans bet he won't be there in 2022. However that's a long term wager. :Lol:

Tell you what how about a gentlemans bet he won't be there in 2022. However that's a long term wager. :Lol:

If Campbell wants $10M a year or the NFL, sure he wont be getting that in Ames and he will go happily toward those things. I don’t know a lot about the guy to make an educated guess. I would have taken Campbell and NU would be the only team I would be happy seeing him leave ISU for. He is everything that NU needed/still needs from a detail-oriented standpoint.

however, Campbell’s path to getting to the playoffs is WAAAAAY easier at ISU right now. Not even close. Recruiting is a major disadvantage at ISU, but as we’ve said here for 20 years now, you have to win a little more to recruit at a higher level and they are winning a lot more. If think a Fiesta Bowl win will bump ISU up the list of some higher profile recruits. When Kolar and Hall are drafted, that will be a big deal like Lazard and Montgomery have been. Campbell has current juice and that’s better than ancient history in the CFP era.

If Campbell wants $10M a year or the NFL, sure he wont be getting that in Ames and he will go happily toward those things. I don’t know a lot about the guy to make an educated guess. I would have taken Campbell and NU would be the only team I would be happy seeing him leave ISU for. He is everything that NU needed/still needs from a detail-oriented standpoint.

however, Campbell’s path to getting to the playoffs is WAAAAAY easier at ISU right now. Not even close. Recruiting is a major disadvantage at ISU, but as we’ve said here for 20 years now, you have to win a little more to recruit at a higher level and they are winning a lot more. If think a Fiesta Bowl win will bump ISU up the list of some higher profile recruits. When Kolar and Hall are drafted, that will be a big deal like Lazard and Montgomery have been. Campbell has current juice and that’s better than ancient history in the CFP era.
Well we can agree he's one heck of a good coach. I can however think of at least 20 teams if he was their HC with a much better chance of making the CFP and perhaps even a NC then ISU. Just have to see how it plays out over the next couple of seasons.

Money won't be the issue imo. However when/if he wants to move up in the coaching hierarchy it will have to be at another school or even the NFL. Ames IA is a nice place I guess but it's still a way station and not a destination in the world of football. If he was 60 I'd agree with you but he's only 41 and there are bigger and better places to coach if he has his sights set on getting into playoffs and NC. There no way that's going to happen with the talent level he's going to get at ISU. Look at Bill Snyder's career which was great at KSU. How many conference titles did he win coaching at KSU for 29 years? Believe the number is ONE! ISU will never match the talent levels of say OU and Texas. He's doing great but money talks and ambitious coaches want the chance to play for NC's which I doubt is going to happen at ISU. If he's as good as people say the money and allure of bigger programs will be very difficult to resist.
Hey, maybe he thinks he can get ISU to the playoffs? He was close this year to winning the league. Maybe he thinks he can sustain things and improve them. They have a chance always, they are in a power 5 conference. Do that, and he is a National legend.

Always anomalies but the majority of high profile coaches usually move up at least the best ones. Sabo is being paid 10.25 million a year which I submit is pretty tempting for most people. That type of salary is never going to happen in place like ISU imo.
A highly competitive team in Ames is worth whatever Campbell wants. Paying 7, 8 million per is a huge win as long as the program wins. Full stadiums, big games, bigger requests nationally from the media, increased exposure, sales on shirts, other miscellaneous stuff all increases. It would well offset the extra money to pay the coach.

Morgan Wooten was one of the truly great basketball coaches in the nation, and could have written his own ticket to go anywhere in the country as a coach at any university. He chose to remain in DC at a private school and turned out wonderful students and players for four decades. He was very happy. He didn't need brighter lights. He won 1200 games.

Everybody is different and there are many who don't chase the job that others might think is the "better" job.

A highly competitive team in Ames is worth whatever Campbell wants. Paying 7, 8 million per is a huge win as long as the program wins. Full stadiums, big games, bigger requests nationally from the media, increased exposure, sales on shirts, other miscellaneous stuff all increases. It would well offset the extra money to pay the coach.
I'd bet serious money ISU isn't going to pay that kind of money to any football coach. Now if he's happy coaching a lessor program and less money perhaps he stays a little longer. ISU is waypoint not a destination for a coach moving up. Don't believe ISU can ever compete with the top programs in money and facilities but we'll just have to wait and see. BTW his buyout right now is 6 million which is almost nothing if a larger program wants him. He's a Ohio born and raised coach, played 1 year at Pitt then coached his entire career in Ohio until moving ISU. Just don't see him sticking aroiund after 2021 if he has the same success as this season.

Morgan Wooten was one of the truly great basketball coaches in the nation, and could have written his own ticket to go anywhere in the country as a coach at any university. He chose to remain in DC at a private school and turned out wonderful students and players for four decades. He was very happy. He didn't need brighter lights. He won 1200 games.

Everybody is different and there are many who don't chase the job that others might think is the "better" job.
Always outliers that spurn big money and bigger challenges. Heck Osborne did but he's also a very unusual type of coach and person. I'm simply betting that bigger programs will lure Campbell away in the near future. How many times have we heard coaches say they weren't going anywhere only to see them leave? Perhaps Campbell is one that will turn down bigger coaching jobs and more money? However the VAST majority of successful coaches have gone on to bigger programs if the opportunity presented itself.

I'd bet serious money ISU isn't going to pay that kind of money to any football coach. Now if he's happy coaching a lessor program and less money perhaps he stays a little longer. ISU is waypoint not a destination for a coach moving up. Don't believe ISU can ever compete with the top programs in money and facilities but we'll just have to wait and see. BTW his buyout right now is 6 million which is almost nothing if a larger program wants him. He's a Ohio born and raised coach, played 1 year at Pitt then coached his entire career in Ohio until moving ISU. Just don't see him sticking aroiund after 2021 if he has the same success as this season.
Then maybe he will replace Ryan Day someday? I’ve just heard his wife and family are pretty happy in Ames. He banged on the door this year, maybe he can take them farther in his mind. I hope he stays there.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back