• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fidone humbled

And I can't say you won't be right, it may very well depend on what Frost and the staff has promised/planned for Fidone. But realistically, that's our position of least current need -- so there's not a need to have him on the field right away. But it may be a luxury that Frost wishes to pursue right away. There is also the blocking aspect, which our experienced tight ends already have down. No doubt Fidone as a receiving weapon is upper-tier, but I'm betting there's some areas of his game where some physical maturity and learning the blocking schemes are warranted.
When you win 12 games in three years then every position is a position of need.

I'd be very surprised if Fidone is our #1 TE at any point in 2021 -- barring injury to the starters. We are in great shape at that position regardless of Fidone.

I'm sure Fidone will see some playing time this coming season, but the question will be whether it will be in four games to preserve a redshirt season or more than that. Ideally, Fidone doesn't play in more than four games -- and I don't think we'll need him to.

He's got a very bright future -- but it doesn't necessarily have to start now.

Before Austin Allen had his breakout last year, I'd completely disagree with you. But now, you might be right.

Before Austin Allen had his breakout last year, I'd completely disagree with you. But now, you might be right.

It will be a very interesting offense to watch.

While I seem to be getting a vibe that we'll utilize the running backs more in 2021, there's a lot of mouths to feed as receiving options. I truly have no clue how the offense will look, which is kind of exciting in a way. But also hoping that the approach doesn't leave some players feeling like their value has dropped with an adjustment in scheme.

It will be a very interesting offense to watch.

While I seem to be getting a vibe that we'll utilize the running backs more in 2021, there's a lot of mouths to feed as receiving options. I truly have no clue how the offense will look, which is kind of exciting in a way. But also hoping that the approach doesn't leave some players feeling like their value has dropped with an adjustment in scheme.

Yeah, there's only one ball to go around. But if things are going well, the qb will only get 5-7 rushes a game, so that's more for everyone else. Lubick has a history of using the right ends and we saw that a good deal last year. If the qb can find him, I think he's gonna have a lot of yards this year.

Yeah, there's only one ball to go around. But if things are going well, the qb will only get 5-7 rushes a game, so that's more for everyone else. Lubick has a history of using the right ends and we saw that a good deal last year. If the qb can find him, I think he's gonna have a lot of yards this year.

I am completely in favor of fewer rushes per game for Adrian. Not only to maintain his health for an entire season (I'm not ready to see the #2 perform, whomever that may be, which is a total mystery -- and mysteries are oftentimes not good), but because it will mean more players are getting involved in the offense.

Yeah, there's only one ball to go around. But if things are going well, the qb will only get 5-7 rushes a game, so that's more for everyone else.

Lubick has a history of using the right ends and we saw that a good deal last year.

If the qb can find him, I think he's gonna have a lot of yards this year.
Good points. As for the middle one about Lubick, I remember like yesterday when Frost talked about hiring Lubick it was because Lubick never, ever used the wrong ends.

I see it as this, I would be extremely surprised if Fidone blocks like the 6'7, 260 pound guy. I'd also be very disappointed if Fidone isn't more explosive than Vokolek in the pass game. TE is a position where a lot of guys can see the field, and a lot of guys can see the field at the same time. If he has a idea of where to go, throw him out there. Baseline Goal... 250 receiving yards, 20 a game

his blocking assignments will be difficult, due to his lack of weight, the other guys are 25 lb heavier, and have the plays down pat. its gonna be tough to beat em out, as theyve had hundreds of game snaps already, at game speed. I cant wait for fidone to have 1 yr experience and see where he explodes on defenses.... he is gonna be awesome.

I'd be very surprised if Fidone is our #1 TE at any point in 2021 -- barring injury to the starters. We are in great shape at that position regardless of Fidone.

I'm sure Fidone will see some playing time this coming season, but the question will be whether it will be in four games to preserve a redshirt season or more than that. Ideally, Fidone doesn't play in more than four games -- and I don't think we'll need him to.

He's got a very bright future -- but it doesn't necessarily have to start now.
Agree. If continues to make one handed catches like he did in practices and can catch almost everything thrown his way we need him to see playing time. Maybe even lining up in a slot position from time to time.

Last edited:
his blocking assignments will be difficult, due to his lack of weight, the other guys are 25 lb heavier, and have the plays down pat. its gonna be tough to beat em out, as theyve had hundreds of game snaps already, at game speed. I cant wait for fidone to have 1 yr experience and see where he explodes on defenses.... he is gonna be awesome.

Exactly, but if we use him creatively, we can keep him out of situations where he has to knock heads with big DE's that much.

His ability to make catches should make him a tough matchup for the D as well.

Agree. If continues to make one handed catches like he did in practices and can catch almost everything thrown his way we need him to see playing time. Maybe even lining up in a slot position from time to time.

Last year in the spring I think there was talk about using Austin Allen (#2 TE) in the slot when Wandale wasn't there. They used Chris Hickman as a Hback (Slot-R?) that lined up in the backfield but sometimes started in the slot before going in motion.

There's lots of places to try to use Fidone, they will find one. I bet they sneak Carnie out there too. But most of the time you want Toure' or Alante Brown in the slot because they have that route experience.

I guess I could be paid several hundred thousand dollars if I was right most of the time. Fun to think about though!

I am completely in favor of fewer rushes per game for Adrian. Not only to maintain his health for an entire season (I'm not ready to see the #2 perform, whomever that may be, which is a total mystery -- and mysteries are oftentimes not good), but because it will mean more players are getting involved in the offense.
And with the obvious lack of depth at the position, fewer rushes hopefully means less wear and tear on Adrian, thus keeping him upright and healthy(er)

And with the obvious lack of depth at the position, fewer rushes hopefully means less wear and tear on Adrian, thus keeping him upright and healthy(er)
Completely agree! Despite some of AD's short comings without him we're in deep trouble imo. If he can stop turning it over I honestly believe he can be one of the best QB's in the conference. He's going to have (on paper) some excellent WR's and TE's to throw to this season. Frost needs to catch a break and have AD have a injury free good season.

I'm impressed with his desire to improve.
Being the best out of anyone on any given field of play, generally where Fidone found himself, to rearrange that mindset, with the help of coaching, to do so so quickly is impressive, shows desire and maturity.

We got a good one here

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back