• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fidone humbled

HuskrNew

Recruit
5 Year Member
My interpretation of the article.

Coach Beckton, week 1 of spring practice: "Thomas, I know you are coming in here as the number one ranked hgh school tight end in the country. But we have other players here, guys who have been in the program for years, and you're going to have to learn and adapt and put in your time here to move up the chain. I need to humble you."

Coach Beckton, week 3: "Alright, I think your extended and humiliating period of humbling is finished. You are now the number one tight end."

I'd be very surprised if Fidone is our #1 TE at any point in 2021 -- barring injury to the starters. We are in great shape at that position regardless of Fidone.

I'm sure Fidone will see some playing time this coming season, but the question will be whether it will be in four games to preserve a redshirt season or more than that. Ideally, Fidone doesn't play in more than four games -- and I don't think we'll need him to.

He's got a very bright future -- but it doesn't necessarily have to start now.

It's ridiculous imo to think Fidone is going to instantly beat out some of the older good more experienced TE's that are fighting for the starting position. Worst thing coaches could do was put him into games BEFORE he was ready from most standpoints. Give the kid time because if he's as good as advertised he'll be around for the next several years.

Well
I'd be very surprised if Fidone is our #1 TE at any point in 2021 -- barring injury to the starters. We are in great shape at that position regardless of Fidone.

I'm sure Fidone will see some playing time this coming season, but the question will be whether it will be in four games to preserve a redshirt season or more than that. Ideally, Fidone doesn't play in more than four games -- and I don't think we'll need him to.

He's got a very bright future -- but it doesn't necessarily have to start now.
Well that depends on how you look at it. If he truly is the best tight end recruit in the country and he progresses as he should the odds of him being here year 5 are not very good so you may as well play him as much as his talents warrant this year. No sense red shirting him if there is a realistic possibility that he is draft worthy before his 5th year. Austin Allen is going to be very tough for anyone to beat out, I do not think it is impossible for him to be 2nd best tight end we have by the end of the year.

Last edited:
If he is truly good enough and the best we have, play him! If as good as everyone thought he is, he will be in NFL in 3 years. And transfer portal is always an issue

It's ridiculous imo to think Fidone is going to instantly beat out some of the older good more experienced TE's that are fighting for the starting position. Worst thing coaches could do was put him into games BEFORE he was ready from most standpoints. Give the kid time because if he's as good as advertised he'll be around for the next several years.
In the past, I could see him use up his RS year and be immediate number two.
Not this year though.

My OC of course was really about the article, which, IMHO, didn't quite capture what coach said.

That aside, I think most agree Fidone will eventually be our #1 TE. FWIW, if/when he's our, best, play him. The only question is whether you play him a little earlier to bring him along faster. That depends 1 factors most of us have no idea about, such as how committed he is to stain in Lincoln, and how quickly he's catching up to the other players.

Wandale sez hi

If he's earned it, play him
I don't believe you play anyone simply because what... they might leave? Wandale had very weak competition at his position as opposed to what Fidone is competing against. Look what happened with LM? Not only did he get injured and not get it done he also transferred. I'm all for playing the best players we have but lets not make Fidone into the second coming before he actually AT LEAST goes through fall camp. I'm confident IF he can actually beat out the other TE's this fall he'll certainly get playing time.

I don't believe you play anyone simply because what... they might leave? Wandale had very weak competition at his position as opposed to what Fidone is competing against. Look what happened with LM? Not only did he get injured and not get it done he also transferred. I'm all for playing the best players we have but lets not make Fidone into the second coming before he actually AT LEAST goes through fall camp. I'm confident IF he can actually beat out the other TE's this fall he'll certainly get playing time.
Looks like we agree

Like I said, if he's earned it, play him

Even if the tight end room is deep in talent

It's really pretty simple - if he's better than the other TE's, play him. We don't have the luxury of having superior talent ride the bench to preserve them for playing next year. If the team struggles again this year that bench-riding talent will bolt for the transfer portal.

It's really pretty simple - if he's better than the other TE's, play him. We don't have the luxury of having superior talent ride the bench to preserve them for playing next year. If the team struggles again this year that bench-riding talent will bolt for the transfer portal.
I agree but obviously it remains to be proven he's better than our other TE's at the moment. I sure hope he becomes better then even a Johnny Mitchell but time will tell. I honestly don't believe Frost is going to keep him on the bench IF he's the best TE on the team.

Wandale sez hi

If he's earned it, play him
I think the positions are much different. It is easier for young kid to make an impact early playing RB or WR. Not so much on the line or even at TE (depending on scheme). If you look at the spring practice videos, the kid needs to fill out, quite a bit, especially if they intend to go with this so-called power run game. I don't see him working as an inline TE at this point, so it will be interesting to see how much Scott alters the scheme and how he initially uses him.

Ultimately, he needs to get stronger and work on his blocking technique before Beckton gives him a whiff. With that said, he's going to be a great player for this team if he stays (have to put that disclaimer in there just in case), and I really look forward to seeing him progress.

In the end, I agree, if he's the best you have (I hope not at THIS POINT), you play him, but IMO, I'd be shocked if he beats out Allen this year.

Well

Well that depends on how you look at it. If he truly is the best tight end recruit in the country and he progresses as he should the odds of him being here year 5 are not very good so you may as well play him as much as his talents warrant this year. No sense red shirting him if there is a realistic possibility that he is draft worthy before his 5th year. Austin Allen is going to be very tough for anyone to beat out, I do not think it is impossible for him to be 2nd best tight end we have by the end of the year.

And I can't say you won't be right, it may very well depend on what Frost and the staff has promised/planned for Fidone. But realistically, that's our position of least current need -- so there's not a need to have him on the field right away. But it may be a luxury that Frost wishes to pursue right away. There is also the blocking aspect, which our experienced tight ends already have down. No doubt Fidone as a receiving weapon is upper-tier, but I'm betting there's some areas of his game where some physical maturity and learning the blocking schemes are warranted.

Last edited:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back