• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Feldman on Frost and the massive disorganization

Exactly. If Frost was permitted to leave quietly with $15 million and the fans thinking he gave it his all and couldn't right the ship, the narrative would be "if Scott Frost can't do it, nobody can!"

Now it's clear Frost wasn't even really trying to right the ship. It's like Captain Ahab decided the White Wale wasn't worth his time, docked the Pequod in Nantucket, and spent his days boozing with his closest crew members at the Two Headed Dog.

Nantucket aboard the Pequod, eh? Gotta go find my Cliff's Notes...

There once was a coach from Nebraska
Whose contract was bigger than Alaska
He made gobs of monies
As did all his cronies
Now all the fans say "forget ya". (insert your own sentiment)

Call me 'Ishmael'.

Name me a player during a he Frost era who got coached up. Where they showed significant improvement from one year to the next. Adrian regressed after his freshman year.
A few D line players have, small group but some progress has been made.
Is it levels we've seen in the past?No,but it's also about who's next to you as well besides lesser growth.

Last edited:
Name me a player during a he Frost era who got coached up. Where they showed significant improvement from one year to the next. Adrian regressed after his freshman year.
I remember telling my wife after we watched him in his first couple of games that if he kept developing, he had all the tools and attributes to be a Heisman winner. That went downhill pretty fast…

I remember telling my wife after we watched him in his first couple of games that if he kept developing, he had all the tools and attributes to be a Heisman winner. That went downhill pretty fast…

IMO it's difficult to evaluate certain players because of injuries. What I mean by that is AM may still have many of the attributes (particularly the "intangables" like leadership and the mental part of the game) but his injuries prevented him from reaching his full potential at Nebraska. I think it's also particularly difficult to evaluate a player who regularly gets hurt/injured but doesn't miss games.

I guess some of it depends on how you define "talent". How much of it is athletic ability? How much of it is skill?

I think we probably have some guys who look bad right now and could be developed into great players. I also think there are some guys who got good recruiting rankings coming out of school because of athletic potential, but don't have the drive or mind to become great players.

There is a difference between being athletic and a good football player. You hope that someone is both but that is not always the case. Larry Bird is one of the greatest BBall players of all time. No one would say he was a great athlete. Same goes for Tom Brady.

That is the big problem with rating guys without pads at a summer camp. A good athlete will test very well at these camps. I think Nebraska has a lot of long athletic guys. Especially look at the secondary and look at the TE. Probably test very well on the athlete end of things. Other than Vokolek there isn't a TE that weighs more than 220. They are essentially big WR. But they aren't really what you would call a traditional TE.

I think we have a lot of athletic guys on the team. Some are really good football players some are just really athletic guys.

There is a difference between being athletic and a good football player. You hope that someone is both but that is not always the case. Larry Bird is one of the greatest BBall players of all time. No one would say he was a great athlete. Same goes for Tom Brady.

That is the big problem with rating guys without pads at a summer camp. A good athlete will test very well at these camps. I think Nebraska has a lot of long athletic guys. Especially look at the secondary and look at the TE. Probably test very well on the athlete end of things. Other than Vokolek there isn't a TE that weighs more than 220. They are essentially big WR. But they aren't really what you would call a traditional TE.

I think we have a lot of athletic guys on the team. Some are really good football players some are just really athletic guys.
Develop the athletic guys ……. That’s what’s missing I bet ‍

Develop the athletic guys ……. That’s what’s missing I bet ‍

Sure that is what the hope is. Some guys are just good athletes and not good football players. The one guy that I always remember back in the day was Curtis Cotton. He always tested off the charts, but never played much more than ST. He just wasn't that good a football player.

Just my opinion but I think Nebraska has a lot of athletic guys that haven't developed into great football players yet. That could be because the coaching has been sub par, which is some what true or they just need to keep developing which is probably also true. Lots of Freshman and Sophomores on this team still and that is on Frost.

One thing they were talking about today on XM Radio ESPNU was that a lot of these teams that are doing well so far is that they have older experienced rosters. Kansas, Minnesota, Oregon St, Arkansas all have older experienced rosters.

The one thing Nebraska perpetually had in the glory days was an "old roster" lots of Jrs and Srs starting on the team.

Last edited:
Sure that is what the hope is. Some guys are just good athletes and not good football players. The one guy that I always remember back in the day was Curtis Cotton. He always tested off the charts, but never played much more than ST. He just wasn't that good a football player.

Just my opinion but I think Nebraska has a lot of athletic guys that haven't developed into great football players yet. That could be because the coaching has been sub par, which is some what true or they just need to keep developing which is probably also true. Lots of Freshman and Sophomores on this team still and that is on Frost.

One thing they were talking about today on XM Radio ESPNU was that a lot of these teams that are doing well so far is that they have older experienced rosters. Kansas, Minnesota, Oregon St, Arkansas all have older experienced rosters.

The one thing Nebraska perpetually had in the glory days was an "old roster" lots of Jrs and Srs starting on the team.
Well said and my observations as well.

Definitely, which is why some guys never live up to their recruiting rankings and others exceed. Potential only carries you so far. What separates good from great is work ethic and development.

Yes they do, most really don't remember but Nebraska under TO really was a development type of team. Sure some guys played right away, but most guys got very little playing time until they were Jrs.

Back then it seemed schools had time to develop players. Bring in a kid who had some physical assets/skills to work with, teach them the basics and let them grow and develop behind someone who's already there. Iowa still does that as does Wisconsin. I understand times have changed with the transfer portal, NIL, etc., and the time between first steps on campus and first snaps on the field is typically shorter than in years past. That doesn't mean we can't still pick the right kid (one who has the requisite clay to mold and WANTS to be at Nebraska) and develop the hell out of them. No, the development has not been there in the last four years for many positions, but not all. We seem to have grabbed kids we hoped could play sooner than later and may or may not have had the 'Wants to be at Nebraska' piece, and they're gone or on the bench not contributing. Where it goes from here will have to wait until the permanent HC and staff are named and we still won't know what's what for at least a year. Maybe longer.

I know for sure is that we're in for an interesting ride ON the football field to close out the year. I don't have a good feel for what this team will do. Haven't really since Pelini's last year. Can Joseph and Co do a miraculous triage job and patch this bunch up, mold the defense into something serviceable and get them to compete the rest of the way out? I don't know. I know he's not going to let it slide further into the ditch, but keeping that from happening looks like a tough, tough task, regardless of who's got the headsets on. Busch gets two weeks to do whatever he's going to do with the D and now the offense is all Whipple's. Let's see what you've got fellas.

GBR.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back