• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

Shoot we may be around there next October for the ballon festival .... sweet. Hey you ever go to the ballon festival? Is it worth going?

I went this year. It isn't my thing. A ton of people and traffic. It is kind of neat, but there's a lot of hassle and expense.

Paid $350 to stay in a hampton inn in Albuquerque so that I could wake up a 4am and sit in bumper to bumper traffic for a hour just to drive the 6 miles to the balloon park and stand with 200,000 other people in the 20 degree morning to watch ballons take off? I'll pass next year.

Sorry if that just turned you off to it. You should totally go if you like big festival environments. A lot of people I know love it and go every year. I don't like that sort of thing. Hell, I lived in New York state for 7 years and never even went to New York City because I don't like big cities and crowds.

Also, start looking for flights and hotels now...

Last edited:
I went this year. It isn't my thing. A ton of people and traffic. It is kind of neat, but there's a lot of hassle and expense.

Paid $350 to stay in a hampton inn in Albuquerque so that I could wake up a 4am and sit in bumper to bumper traffic for a hour just to drive the 6 miles to the balloon park and stand with 200,000 other people in the 20 degree morning to watch ballons take off? I'll pass next year.

Sorry if that just turned you off to it. You should totally go if you like big festival environments. A lot of people I know love it and go every year. I don't like that sort of thing. Hell, I lived in New York state for 7 years and never even went to New York City because I don't like big cities and crowds.

Also, start looking for flights and hotels now...
Thanks a bunch for your input and advice ..... this is a wifey thang (if you know what I mean). She booked the hotel last fall - got a great deal $99.00 and we are driving. We don’t mind the crowds but the traffic your describing is a huge downside. With this Coronavirus thing who knows if it will even happen. Time will tell. Thanks again man.

Thanks a bunch for your input and advice ..... this is a wifey thang (if you know what I mean). She booked the hotel last fall - got a great deal $99.00 and we are driving. We don’t mind the crowds but the traffic your describing is a huge downside. With this Coronavirus thing who knows if it will even happen. Time will tell. Thanks again man.

That's why I went, so yeah I get it. There are a number of shuttle busses that continuously make trips to various parts of the city, so you can avoid traffic if that works for you. We had our 2.5 year old and our new guy was only 5 weeks old, so I didn't want to be dependent on a shuttle. Without those constraints I probably would have had a better time. It was shockingly cold the morning we were there too. 20 degrees is not normal for Albuquerque, especially in October. We weren't dressed right for standing motionless for a long period of time that morning.

Took my 3 year old daughter fishing for the first time today. After about 40 minutes she was "tired and ready for lunch". We did catch a fish though, which I was not really seriously expecting.

IMG_3931_c.jpg
IMG_3934_c.jpg
IMG_3932_c.jpg

Just since last year, but its my go-to place since it's close and access is so easy. I need to do some exploring this year. There are so many good streams within an hour or two's drive.
Thinking of you exploring New Mexico reminded me of an Orvis Fly Fishing Guide podcast from a few years back. I'm not sure how close the guy being interviewed (Doc Thompson) is to you, but from my perspective in South Dakota he sounds like your next-door neighbor. ;)

Hi all- new member and I thought I'd jump in and introduce myself. I joined for the football discussion and was so (pleasantly!) surprised to find there's a whole hunting/fishing forum- full of fly fishers, no less! I haven't had time to browse through this whole thread (on my lunch break), but look forward to doing so.

I got in to fly fishing about 4 years ago when my dad gifted me a starter set that he won in a raffle. Since then I've really fallen in love with the sport. I live in St. Louis, MO so there are tons of great spring-fed rivers within a 1.5-2.5 hr drive to fish for trout and even more spots for smallmouth.

I only do a little bit of tying, but I would like to get into that more as I do enjoy it.

I currently fish a 9 ft 5 wt Orvis Encounter (their basic starter setup) and it has served me well, but I'm looking into a new set up. Trying to decide between an 8 wt for throwing streamers or a 3 wt Euro nymphing rig. Leaning more in the Euro rig direction, but would appreciate gear recommendations for either. Lucky to have 2 great fly shops in St. Louis- Feather Craft and T. Hargroves.

Tight lines to you all! I'll leave you with my favorite recent fly fishing meme:

MopFlySmall.png

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back