• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

The belly boat. I haven't seen one or heard anyone talk about them since the late nineties.

The Tiger Muskies were a lot to handle. Had my best luck when I'd see one cruising and sight casted, but caught them just broadcast casting at the edge of the shallows where the deep water started. You're right about the net. I hadn't taken that into consideration. My first few trips to this lake specifically targeting Tiger's, I didn't catch any but caught some nice trout. The first one I had on actually pulled me across the lake...before breaking the tippet. The first one I actually got to the belly boat was when I figured out I had a net problem. I had no interest in keeping them, so that made it easier. Sort of. Getting my streamer back out of it's mouth....without dropping my fly rod in the water...wasn't an easy task.

I finally threw my belly boat out last year. The inner tube got slashed on something.

The belly boat. I haven't seen one or heard anyone talk about them since the late nineties.

The Tiger Muskies were a lot to handle. Had my best luck when I'd see one cruising and sight casted, but caught them just broadcast casting at the edge of the shallows where the deep water started. You're right about the net. I hadn't taken that into consideration. My first few trips to this lake specifically targeting Tiger's, I didn't catch any but caught some nice trout. The first one I had on actually pulled me across the lake...before breaking the tippet. The first one I actually got to the belly boat was when I figured out I had a net problem. I had no interest in keeping them, so that made it easier. Sort of. Getting my streamer back out of it's mouth....without dropping my fly rod in the water...wasn't an easy task.
I still have one, but I haven't used it much lately. I actually have 4, but only 2 are the full circle belly boats as the other 2 are the U-shaped kick tubes. All but the first were picked up used (though two technically hadn't even been used). I also have a personal pontoon that I picked up used last fall, but I still haven't taken it out yet: kids.

I like all of the above. I'd much rather fish a small trout lake/pond with them than anything else.

Started in Mn when I was eight. My grandfather built guitars and violins and other string instruments for a living out of his garage. He taught me how to fly fish in the boundary waters of Mn. he built me a fly rod that looked just like this picture. It was stolen from me and is one regret i carry today. Had so much fun with that and so many memories. I will be in portland later this summer and you're damn skippy ...I'll find a stream or river.
Every time I throw a line in...I think of my grandfather. ..He is the one that taught me who a man was and what they do for family as i grew up in a severely abusive home. . Nothing like closing your eyes and hearing the line as you hit that perfect spot.

Started in Mn when I was eight. My grandfather built guitars and violins and other string instruments for a living out of his garage. He taught me how to fly fish in the boundary waters of Mn. he built me a fly rod that looked just like this picture. It was stolen from me and is one regret i carry today. Had so much fun with that and so many memories. I will be in portland later this summer and you're damn skippy ...I'll find a stream or river.
Every time I throw a line in...I think of my grandfather. ..He is the one that taught me who a man was and what they do for family as i grew up in a severely abusive home. . Nothing like closing your eyes and hearing the line as you hit that perfect spot.

View attachment 25264
My grandpa was the only one in my life who had a fly rod, but I never knew that until after I'd already bought (a horrible) one and was trying to learn how to cast on my own. He had a cheap fiberglass Berkeley fly rod, but it was light years better than mine. He gave it to me. I still have it. @Pops, come fish with me, and you can use it. (It's pretty much indestructible.)

My grandpa was the only one in my life who had a fly rod, but I never knew that until after I'd already bought (a horrible) one and was trying to learn how to cast on my own. He had a cheap fiberglass Berkeley fly rod, but it was light years better than mine. He gave it to me. I still have it. @Pops, come fish with me, and you can use it. (It's pretty much indestructible.)
man it's a date if we ever connect

I haven't received any feedback as to whether or not anyone has used the links that I've put up, but this is one of a series on the lives of different types of aquatic insects. It won several awards a few years back, and it sells as a DVD for $30 online, but you can watch most of the parts worth watching for free on YouTube.

Here's the chapter on mayflies....

I haven't received any feedback as to whether or not anyone has used the links that I've put up, but this is one of a series on the lives of different types of aquatic insects. It won several awards a few years back, and it sells as a DVD for $30 online, but you can watch most of the parts worth watching for free on YouTube.

Here's the chapter on mayflies....

I have. I think I've only been able to watch one or two start to finish because either the dogs or the Mrs needs my full, undivided attention whenever I sit completely still. They're awesome and I appreciate the effort!

I have. I think I've only been able to watch one or two start to finish because either the dogs or the Mrs needs my full, undivided attention whenever I sit completely still. They're awesome and I appreciate the effort!

Good to know! Here's the next chapter in the Bugs of the Underworld series, which is on caddisflies....

Here's part 3 on stoneflies on Bugs of the Underworld series....

I fished stonefly nymphs my entire fly fishing career and always carried a few adult stonefly dries. Hit one hatch in 30+ years fly fishing Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Hit a Salmonfly hatch on the Firehole....and didn't have any salmon fly dries. Maybe poor planning, but back then you didn't have the luxury of checking what hatches and when on rivers you didn't fish all the time. It was 100% trial and error.

I fished stonefly nymphs my entire fly fishing career and always carried a few adult stonefly dries. Hit one hatch in 30+ years fly fishing Colorado, Wyoming and Montana. Hit a Salmonfly hatch on the Firehole....and didn't have any salmon fly dries. Maybe poor planning, but back then you didn't have the luxury of checking what hatches and when on rivers you didn't fish all the time. It was 100% trial and error.
I've never seen a stonefly hatch apart from the little black ones that crawl out on the snow in the winter. Rapid Creek is loaded with stonefly nymphs, and I almost always see their shed casings on bridge pilings, etc., but I don't remember seeing more than 1 or 2 flying adults. The nymph patterns are still killers, though. I don't know what exact type they are, but they're about a size 8 hook in length, and they're dark and mottled. Those things must look like a cheeseburger to a trout after eating size 18 mayflies all day.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back