• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

I've been busy running my kids around to baseball games and practices, and swim team meets and practices, but we stopped by a little pond today on the way home from a swim meet to see if they could catch some bluegills. I hadn't even got the other rods together before my oldest son (almost 9) had a nice smallmouth bass (>1 lb), and I had to stop to help him get it off the hook. I was thinking that it was going to be a blast, but ... a couple hours later, and we had only caught a couple more tiny largemouth. One was so tiny (<4") that I didn't know he was on until I went to cast and yanked him out of the water.

We still had fun. My kids enjoyed it. I let them each pick out a $4 lure, so now they're dreaming big dreams of catching bigger bass.

Last edited:

Courtesy of Hank Patterson, here's the can't-miss fly for when you want the fish to get a taste of a little of everything:

And you know who's going to hit that? Fatty McFatterfish, that's who.

Caught this unit with a muddler minnow.
View attachment 25157
So ... looks like a Cabela's Wind River fly reel, size 5-6? I can't see much of the rod, but based on the reel, the color of the rod, and the markings, that also looks like a Wind River fly rod. You're throwing a Muddler Minnow, which isn't easy with a lighter rod, but the cork handle isn't the full wells style that usually comes with 8 weight rods and a lot of 7 weight rods, so ... I'm guessing that that is a Cabela's Wind River fly rod & reel combo in 6 wt? Am I close?

I have the same in 5 wt and 8 wt, fwiw. I love mine.

Last edited:
So ... looks like a Cabela's Wind River fly reel, size 5-6? I can't see much of the rod, but based on the reel, the color of the rod, and the markings, that also looks like a Wind River fly rod. You're throwing a Muddler Minnow, which isn't easy with a lighter rod, but the cork handle isn't the full wells style that usually comes with 8 weight rods and a lot of 7 weight rods, so ... I'm guessing that that is a Cabela's Wind River fly rod & reel combo in 6 wt? Am I close?

I have the same in 5 wt and 8 wt, fwiw. I love mine.

You nailed it. The only thing that I changed is the line. I went with Orvis line in a lighter color and ditched the bright yellow Cabela's line. I like my CWR. It was fairly cheap and works for me right now. I'll probably upgrade eventually, but I want to get better at my cast and presentation before I do.

I was having a harder time getting distance with the muddler on, but it wasn't too bad. I bought some size 6 woolly buggers when I first got my fly rod and realized my error the first time I hit the water. I probably should have gotten a 7 wt.

ive not gotten into the trout action, but have been fly fished many times for large & small mouth bass, and love to do this with northern pike.

ive not gotten into the trout action, but have been fly fished many times for large & small mouth bass, and love to do this with northern pike.

This will date me, but I used to catch Tiger Muskies on big zonkers in a little reservoir East of Denver while floating around in a belly boat. Lots of fun if you could keep them from breaking the leaders.

You nailed it. The only thing that I changed is the line. I went with Orvis line in a lighter color and ditched the bright yellow Cabela's line. I like my CWR. It was fairly cheap and works for me right now. I'll probably upgrade eventually, but I want to get better at my cast and presentation before I do.

I was having a harder time getting distance with the muddler on, but it wasn't too bad. I bought some size 6 woolly buggers when I first got my fly rod and realized my error the first time I hit the water. I probably should have gotten a 7 wt.
6 wt should be able to put them out there, but make sure that you have the fly at the surface, and you're breaking the water tension before you lift up the rod to start the cast. That fly is such a mass of deer hair up front that it can bog down the cast if it's below the surface.

I love my Wind River rods, too. I also bought more reels when they were on sale awhile back.

We need to go fishing in the Hills sometime. I'll bring out some extra rods, and you can try them out to see what sizes you like. I never had anybody who could do that for me, so apparently it's some sort of hidden vow that I now bring an extra of everything, just in case someone else wants to use it. Fwiw, I usually use a 6 wt for almost all trout in the Hills, especially in the lakes.

This will date me, but I used to catch Tiger Muskies on big zonkers in a little reservoir East of Denver while floating around in a belly boat. Lots of fun if you could keep them from breaking the leaders.
I'm not sure why that dates you, so you're going to have to help me out with understanding it.

I've never caught a tiger muskie or a muskie. I've caught probably a dozen pike around 36" or bigger, but I don't believe that I've ever caught one much over 40", if that even. The 30-36" size range seems to be mostly what's in the waters where I fish as far as the biggest ones. I've seen bigger, and I've had bigger on my line a couple of times, but the two biggest pike that I've ever hooked were on trout rods with trout streamers and new bite guard, and an itty-bitty trout net that wasn't big enough to land them. What a rush, though!

6 wt should be able to put them out there, but make sure that you have the fly at the surface, and you're breaking the water tension before you lift up the rod to start the cast. That fly is such a mass of deer hair up front that it can bog down the cast if it's below the surface.

I love my Wind River rods, too. I also bought more reels when they were on sale awhile back.

We need to go fishing in the Hills sometime. I'll bring out some extra rods, and you can try them out to see what sizes you like. I never had anybody who could do that for me, so apparently it's some sort of hidden vow that I now bring an extra of everything, just in case someone else wants to use it. Fwiw, I usually use a 6 wt for almost all trout in the Hills, especially in the lakes.
Teach me the way of the force.

Anybody in the area who would want to go fishing with me at East Verdigre Creek near Royal, NE sometime? I don't mind if you've never fly fished before, or if you're an expert who's going to make me feel like turning in my man card. It's a beautiful spot to fish, and I think that I've only been there once when I didn't catch some. If they're not biting, I'm not afraid to cheat and use a salmon egg or butter worm though, so if that gets your nethers twisted, be warned.

I'm not sure why that dates you, so you're going to have to help me out with understanding it.

I've never caught a tiger muskie or a muskie. I've caught probably a dozen pike around 36" or bigger, but I don't believe that I've ever caught one much over 40", if that even. The 30-36" size range seems to be mostly what's in the waters where I fish as far as the biggest ones. I've seen bigger, and I've had bigger on my line a couple of times, but the two biggest pike that I've ever hooked were on trout rods with trout streamers and new bite guard, and an itty-bitty trout net that wasn't big enough to land them. What a rush, though!

The belly boat. I haven't seen one or heard anyone talk about them since the late nineties.

The Tiger Muskies were a lot to handle. Had my best luck when I'd see one cruising and sight casted, but caught them just broadcast casting at the edge of the shallows where the deep water started. You're right about the net. I hadn't taken that into consideration. My first few trips to this lake specifically targeting Tiger's, I didn't catch any but caught some nice trout. The first one I had on actually pulled me across the lake...before breaking the tippet. The first one I actually got to the belly boat was when I figured out I had a net problem. I had no interest in keeping them, so that made it easier. Sort of. Getting my streamer back out of it's mouth....without dropping my fly rod in the water...wasn't an easy task.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back