• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

Do you know anything about Kelly Galloup or his other streamers? If not, here's a sample of their names (and I promise you that I'm NOT making this up):
  • Sex Dungeon
  • Pearl Necklace
  • Butt Monkey
  • Peanut Envy
  • Stacked Blonde
  • Barely Legal
  • T&A
That's just off the top of my head. The guy is a genius. I'm not sure where he got the "Zoo" part of the name for the Zoo Cougar, but the "Cougar" part was because it's supposed to be "designed to hunt" in his words.

Edit: I may as well drop a link here for how to tie what is probably the strangest name for a "fly" that has ever been invented. If you ever do a search for this streamer, you have to be careful because you never know what's going to come up in the search. By the way, this particular video has Galloup tying and explaining the design and the purpose of this pattern, and it's a commitment in time to watch it: an hour and 11 minutes. It takes probably about 15-30 minutes to tie the pattern, depending on how organized and efficient you are, so the rest of the video is a lot about the purpose and design of it, etc.

I checked this one out this morning.

You're right about fly tying materials chasing since I last went into a store. I haven't heard of half of the manufacturers he's using in the video. I've got some catching up to do.

The good thing is a vise is still a vise, his bobbins and scissors still look like mine and he's still using thread to attach materials to a hook. I'm still in the game.

I checked this one out this morning.

You're right about fly tying materials chasing since I last went into a store. I haven't heard of half of the manufacturers he's using in the video. I've got some catching up to do.

The good thing is a vise is still a vise, his bobbins and scissors still look like mine and he's still using thread to attach materials to a hook. I'm still in the game.
The changes are all good. Although hackle prices have gone up, and a lot of the coolest new materials aren't cheap, I can't imagine using any material that's being produced now by any label and saying, "Man, this just isn't as good as it used to be." Be sure to try at least one GSP thread for some streamers, and pick up a Veevus or Griffith's thread in one of the sizes smaller than 8/0 just so you know what's possible now. For hooks, there's hardly a name brand hook that's made for fly tying that is bad. It's just a matter of preference. Look for anything that is a name brand and chemically sharpened because those are by far the best for poking yourself in the finger and drawing blood.

For anyone who's reading this thread who would like to get into fly fishing, there has never been a better time to get started as there are almost an infinite number of free online resources available for those of us who don't have a friend or family member who can help us get started. If you have a local fly shop they're highly motivated to help get you started in fly fishing. Orvis has some of the best educational opportunities and resources available. Personally, I can't afford many of the Orvis brand products, but I highly, highly recommend their fly fishing books, videos, podcasts, classes, and seminars (which are usually free). Tom Rosenbauer is the Orvis in-house author and now podcast and video person who handles most of their educational media. He's as good as I've ever seen, and I've looked around quite a bit.

Let's start with books....

Here is the best introduction to fly fishing in book form that I've yet seen:

Here is the best book on how to fly fish for trout in a small stream, which is one of the two most helpful books that I've ever read as far as learning how to catch more trout:

And here is the best book on how to find trout when you come to a new and unfamiliar stream, and this would be the other most helpful book as far as helping me to catch more trout:

There is some overlap in the last two books. If you're new to fly fishing, start with the top book and make use of the video links that I'll list below. If you're already fly fishing, but you struggle to consistently catch trout in streams, both of the last two books are worth reading. I don't know how to rank them, but I'd say that Prospecting for Trout can be used by anyone fishing any stream anywhere for trout, whereas the Small Stream Fly Fishing book is solely focused on small streams (thus the name).

There are too many video links to list, but the Orvis Fly Fishing Learning Center is an online library of videos that cover almost every topic imaginable. Regardless of what level you are, there's probably a topic there that will interest you. Here's the address for the home page where all of the topics are broken down into "chapters" like a book: https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons

If you're new to fly fishing, here's the link for that chapter that will help you understand what you need to get started: https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/video-lessons/chapter-one-the-basics-of-fly-fishing

As I said above, I can't really afford most of the items that Orvis sells, so while I agree with the recommendations that they make as far as fly line size, fly rod type, etc., I usually buy another brand's products that are similar but more affordable. If anyone wants recommendations for brands, places to shop, etc., let me know. If price doesn't matter, walk into a fly shop and buy the best that they recommend after testing it, getting lessons, etc. If price does matter, I can give some recommendations for where to look for various things.

The changes are all good. Although hackle prices have gone up, and a lot of the coolest new materials aren't cheap, I can't imagine using any material that's being produced now by any label and saying, "Man, this just isn't as good as it used to be." Be sure to try at least one GSP thread for some streamers, and pick up a Veevus or Griffith's thread in one of the sizes smaller than 8/0 just so you know what's possible now. For hooks, there's hardly a name brand hook that's made for fly tying that is bad. It's just a matter of preference. Look for anything that is a name brand and chemically sharpened because those are by far the best for poking yourself in the finger and drawing blood.

I did some internet searching this afternoon and Im going to be placing an order soon. I need some fresh 'stock' for my tying table if I'm going to be getting back into this with any kind of conviction. Unfortunately for my wife and my bank account, I don't do much of anything half assed.

Finally, if you have a long commute every day and/or enjoy listening to podcasts, The Orvis Fly Fishing Guide Podcast is an excellent resource for new to intermediate fly fishing/fly fishing advice, tips, etc. You can download the free podcasts from numerous places, including iTunes and most of the other bigger digital download providers, but you can also do so through Orvis. Take a few minutes and poke around to look for a main topic that interests you. Each episode starts with Tom Rosenbauer answering various and random questions from listeners on a wide, wide range of topics related to fly fishing and fly tying, but then usually about 2/3 of each episode is devoted to an interview or discussion with some expert, guide, et al. I discovered the podcast in 2011, and there are only a handful of episodes that I haven't listened to, completely, and there are several that I've listened to multiple times. Here's the link for the library in the Orvis Fly Fishing Learning Center, but I'm not sure that these can be downloaded: https://howtoflyfish.orvis.com/podcasts
That link has fairly thorough descriptions written for each podcast, and there's a searchable function if you want specific species, location, or topic.

If you want to download videos, you can do that at this link, but it doesn't have as good of descriptions (until you click on individual links), search feature, etc.: https://www.orvis.com/s/fly-fishing-guide-podcasts/4047

There are LOTS of other podcasts out there related to fly fishing, but those are a great place to start.

Caught this beast in the Ashley River not far from Charleston Harbor. I will be going back to try my luck with one of these monsters on a fly.

IMG_1758.JPG

I did some internet searching this afternoon and Im going to be placing an order soon. I need some fresh 'stock' for my tying table if I'm going to be getting back into this with any kind of conviction. Unfortunately for my wife and my bank account, I don't do much of anything half assed.
I like to keep an eye on the discount/discontinued sections of the Cabela's and Orvis websites. The LL Bean site doesn't carry much for fly tying anymore, but if you go to their site and sign up for email, you can get discounts emailed to you, and they usually give you some % off of your order at that time. Their fly fishing stuff is still decent quality, but it's not Sage/Orvis/Abel/G Loomis quality by a long shot.

If you want decent flies at a cheap price, this site is tough to beat: https://www.bigyflyco.com/

Last edited:

If you want to order top quality fly tying materials, the three sites that are probably the most universally appreciated are these:

All three sites are run by fly fishermen who ended up running fly shops online, and all three are phenomenally helpful if you call or email to ask for something specific. Fly Fish Food has the best selection of feathers on the planet, and if you call them and tell them exactly what you want, they'll dig through their stock and find it for you.

My personal preference for the best fly tying hooks on the planet are Firehole Sticks, which is a mom & pop operation that is just starting to get going. This guy will NOT be happy if you're not, so if you tell him what you want, he'll guide you to what works for you, and if he doesn't have it, he'll tell you what product brand/model he uses. He also just added some awesome looking beads, but I haven't tried them yet. Here's their site (though you can also purchase them from Fly Fish Food): https://fireholeoutdoors.com/firehole-sticks/

I can't wait to catch one of those. I'd like to try stalking them in a tidal marsh with a fly rod.

I've tied some shrimp patterns just for that purpose. The beast in the picture was 30+lbs, but a 3-5lb Red on a fly rod would be a blast. The bonus is you've got Speckled Trout, Black Drum and the occasional Bonnet Head shark in those rivers and marshes that will all take artificial flies/lures.

I like to keep an eye on the discount/discontinued sections of the Cabela's and Orvis websites. The LL Bean site doesn't carry much for fly tying anymore, but if you go to their site and sign up for email, you can get discounts emailed to you, and they usually give you some % off of your order at that time. There fly fishing stuff is still decent quality, but it's not Sage/Orvis/Abel/GLoomis quality by a long shot.

If you want decent flies at a cheap price, this site is tough to beat: https://www.bigyflyco.com/

I'll try the link you provided. Cabela's stuff really doesn't float my boat, unless I can hold it in my hand first. They've got a store in Fort Mill, which is only about 45 minutes from me, but the selection isn't stellar. I really miss The Flyfisher and Anglers All in Denver. Great selections and very knowledgeable, experienced fly fisherman, tiers and rod makers on staff that could give you tips or just tell stories about what had worked for them where, when and why. Fly fishing just isn't as popular down here and fewer people know enough to be of help.

I'll try the link you provided. Cabela's stuff really doesn't float my boat, unless I can hold it in my hand first. They've got a store in Fort Mill, which is only about 45 minutes from me, but the selection isn't stellar. I really miss The Flyfisher and Anglers All in Denver. Great selections and very knowledgeable, experienced fly fisherman, tiers and rod makers on staff that could give you tips or just tell stories about what had worked for them where, when and why. Fly fishing just isn't as popular down here and fewer people know enough to be of help.
If you need to order online, but you want knowledgeable service to go with it, look at the three that I mentioned as having great online service. If you happen to be looking for something specific for fly lines, I think that these guys are the most knowledgeable and friendly in the business: https://redsflyfishing.com/collections/freshwater-floating-lines

Speaking of which, if you happen to be in the market for a top notch fly line for throwing streamers or heavy flies a great distance, check out this video:

This is mind boggling stuff. They are super-heavy, short, condensed heads that are designed to be cast on regular trout rods, but are heavy/compact/dense enough to shoot out heavy flies at great distances. The style of casting is a type of 2-handed rod cast that can be modified for any rod. I'm planning on putting together an 8-weight package with this line for fishing saltwater flats and beaches.

Almost every company is now making some version of this fly line system. This video is for the OPST Commando system, but the Rio Outbound Short is more widely available and more popular.

Last edited:

Speaking of which, if you happen to be in the market for a top notch fly line for throwing streamers or heavy flies a great distance, check out this video:

This is mind boggling stuff. They are super-heavy, short, condensed heads that are designed to be cast on regular trout rods, but are heavy/compact/dense enough to shoot out heavy flies at great distances. The style of casting is a type of 2-handed rod cast that can be modified for any rod. I'm planning on putting together an 8-weight package with this line for fishing saltwater flats and beaches.

Almost every company is now making some version of this fly line system. This video is for the OPST Commando system, but the Rio Outbound Short is more widely available and more popular.

Have dabbled with fly fishing, mostly done it with a breakdown rod while backpacking in Colorado, and off my dock in Okoboji. Hardest part starting out was learning not to snap off the fly while casting...

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back