• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Federation of Fellow Fly-Fishing Football Fanatics

Crappie here are so deep, I have a hard time getting down to them without sinking tip line and split shot. Takes the fun out of it.

I did catch some walleye on streamers back in Eastern Colorado years ago. The old Zonker pattern with black died rabbit fur strips along the back and a tubular Mylar body. I’m guessing they’d hit most streamers, but that was as close to a crank bait looking pattern as I had.
There's only a few places around here I know of where you can catch decent crappie with a fly rod. Most are too deep like you said or no bigger than sunfish.

I'll have to find some patterns like that. I want to perfect my streamer fishing so I can get some of those bigger browns and bows. Trying them on these eyes might help out.

There's only a few places around here I know of where you can catch decent crappie with a fly rod. Most are too deep like you said or no bigger than sunfish.

I'll have to find some patterns like that. I want to perfect my streamer fishing so I can get some of those bigger browns and bows. Trying them on these eyes might help out.

They're shallow in the lake closest to me in March for their spawn and can be caught on the fly, but it's windy and harder to cast. Not Wyoming windy, but ya know.

I'd suspect black Wooly Boogers would work on walleyes too. I got decent streamer fishing in rivers during the off season out West when the water was either too high or it was too cold for a hatch. Any other time of the year and I didn't have much luck. Caught some good fish in the bigger rivers with them, but never really perfected my retrieve and placement. I just didn't spend enough time fishing them in rivers.

They're shallow in the lake closest to me in March for their spawn and can be caught on the fly, but it's windy and harder to cast. Not Wyoming windy, but ya know.

I'd suspect black Wooly Boogers would work on walleyes too. I got decent streamer fishing in rivers during the off season out West when the water was either too high or it was too cold for a hatch. Any other time of the year and I didn't have much luck. Caught some good fish in the bigger rivers with them, but never really perfected my retrieve and placement. I just didn't spend enough time fishing them in rivers.
There's some solid still fishing around here and my buddy swears by streamers in lakes for trout. I just haven't had near as much luck.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back