• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fans of differing ages

Mentally Red

Got Huskers on my mind
5 Year Member
I travelled to Minn with a group of fans of differing ages. It occurred to me that the fans in their 20s have never known Nebraska to be anything but mediocre. I’m surprised they even care to be honest.

I’m on the other end of the age spectrum and have a few health issues. I sometimes wonder whether I’ll live long enough to see NU return to respectability.

Note to my family, if I’m in a nursing home someday and Nebraska gets whipped by Purdue at home, you don’t need to tell me. Just pop in my dvd of the 95 highlights.

Last edited:

It's been rough since the glory days ... sadly, over the past 20 years, whenever times got difficult - DONU jettisoned its' past (twice).

It's gonna take awhile to get things back to where they once were & most of all it's going to take a lot of hard work & belief - pillars that this proud program was built on.

We all miss the old days, & maybe one can't go home again, but I love Nebraska Football, it's rich traditions & remain proud of its' football legacy... & hope the grandkids keep me updated. GBR!

Last edited:
I travelled to Minn with a group of fans of differing ages. It occurred to me that the fans in their 20s have never known Nebraska to be anything but mediocre. I’m surprised they even care to be honest.

I’m on the other end of the age spectrum and have a few health issues. I sometimes wonder whether I’ll live long enough to see NU return to respectability.

Note to my family, if I’m in a nursing home someday and Nebraska gets whipped by Purdue at home, you don’t need to tell me. Just pop in my dvd of the 95 highlights.

I'm right there with you on this......

It just grinds my gears that we still talk about the glory days like they were just yesterday. I mean, only a handful of our current players were alive the last time we were truly relevant.

I mentioned it last night and caught flack; how annoying would it be if Minnesota ran around and still talked about getting back to their glory days of 7 national titles? It doesn’t surprise me that many folks can’t stand us as fans. By large, we’re extremely optimistic in the short term, when we should be thinking long term.

We had many years of mediocrity until the early 60s. I always admired those fans, like my dad, that were die hard loyalists that stuck with the team through those bleak times, definitely not bandwagoners! I know it’s hard, I’m struggling too, but remember to stay the course, trust the process, and support the team! Go Big Red!

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back