• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fall Practice Thread (8/18/17)

— The coach described the depth there as "growing in a positive way." Peyton Newell is certainly in that equation. Khalil Davis could be. True freshman Deontre Thomas "absolutely" could factor in at that position.

"Really quick," Riley said of Thomas. "Good change of pace with Mick and Deontre. Good change of pace."

— Riley was careful with his words in saying who stood out Friday. The first name he mentioned was junior wide receiver Stanley Morgan. "Every thing we think about Stanley looked like that today." And while redshirt freshman JD Spielman made a couple of mistakes route-wise, "playmaking ability was out there front and center again today."

— Riley is excited about the growth of redshirt freshman Tony Butler at corner, and thinks that position switch looks like a positive move. "Which we really needed. Have needed that. So that's a good thing." Asked about third-year sophomore Avery Anderson's work at corner, the coach noted he was elevating himself in the conversation. "I'm glad you brought his name up, because he's in that mix, because it's made that position, it's made us feel better about it."

* Mick Stoltenberg, the projected starter at nose tackle, sat out again as he goes through concussion protocol. The junior from Gretna, who also missed Thursday's practice, likely will return to drills Monday, Riley said. In Stoltenberg's absence, true freshman Deontre Thomas (6-foot-3, 280 pounds) has gotten plenty of work with the top unit. Riley said Thomas is "cat quick" and offers "a good change of pace" compared to the mammoth Stoltenberg (6-5, 315).

* Tre Bryant, a sophomore running back, returned to action, although he did not participate in any scrimmage work. Riley has said Bryant has been slowed by nagging knee soreness. "We've been careful with him as we've gone," the coach said Friday. "He took a couple days off." In addition, junior receiver Bryan Reimers, who has stitches in his head, did some individual drills without wearing a helmet.

My take is they are giving less and less ot the media as the season approaches of which I fully understand.

I am also starting to think the way they are managing Tre Bryant that he just might be the starting RB when the season opens. Just a gut feeling based on what I am reading and hearing.

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back