• You do not need to register if you are not going to pay the yearly fee to post. If you register please click here or log in go to "settings" then "my account" then "User Upgrades" and you can renew.

HuskerMax readers can save 50% on  Omaha Steaks .

Fall Practice (8/22/18) Offensive Coaches and Players After Practice

But, he also eluded that if they didn’t find any separation it could be later...
Maybe they use Akron to find the starter?

He said there would be a starter named for the Akron Game. He was hoping one candidate would pull away enough to help make the decision easier if not the coaches would evaluate all of the intangibles and make the decision.

I think every game will be a competition for the job. The guy who starts game one may not start game twelve

Last edited:
Practice.20180822.PNG
Practice Photo!

Devaney later joined the Michigan State staff in 1953 and became head coach at Wyoming in 1957 before landing at Nebraska. Mike remembers a picture in his dad’s office of two bums sitting by railroad tracks, with one of them captioned as saying, “ …and then I lost my sixth game to Kent State.”

That, Mike said, always served his father as a reminder of his roots.

Bob Devaney, who served as Nebraska Director of Athletics from 1967-1993, was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 1981. He died in 1997, the final year of Osborne’s coaching career, one that culminated in a national championship – with Frost at quarterback.

Today, Frost, beginning his first season as head coach, inherits a program with losing records in two of its last three seasons. He’s already instilled confidence and begun changing the culture, all the while emphasizing training and weightlifting. Frost has unyielding fan support and sees an opportunity to win a championship that wasn’t realistically possible to deliver at his previous school.

Mike Devaney thinks the similarities are uncanny. Even from his home today in Scottsdale, Arizona, he can feel the energy and enthusiasm Frost has brought to Lincoln.

“I really do think he’s going to do a great job,” Mike Devaney said. “I’m really looking forward to the season.”

Last edited:

He said there would be a starter named for the Akron Game. He was hoping one candidate would pull away enough to help make the decision easier if not the coaches would evaluate all of the intangibles and make the decision.

I think every game will be a competition for the job. The guy who starts game one may not start game twelve

First of, just a friendly discussion on possibilities not a who’s right/wrong thing.

I agree every game, as that matters every practice leading up to and including the game will be competition for the job (qb and all). Also, as you pointed out Scott has said multiple times on getting starter named before Akron ... what I was basing my interpretation on was Frost’s talk with the B1G crew when he said

“hopefully, ah early next week - one of them separates a little. If they don’t, we’ll give them equal reps and make a decision even later”

We may all be disappointed at news today as far as a starter, unless one of them shows a consistency they decide to roll with, I imagine they’ll throw them in a lot of situational stuff to try and find some consistency, it maybe sooner than later or unfortunately for us later than sooner:Biggrin:

GET TICKETS

Get 50% off on Omaha Steaks

Back